General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Hello and a question for you

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 01:44 PM
Squid

buckers is on a distinguished road
Hello and a question for you

Hi

I'm Buckers, from Manchester in the UK. I've always liked firestorms and have owned an RC51 (SP2) in the past.

I've currently got a Hornet 600 which I use for commuting (into the city so quite heavy traffic) and 3-4 track days a year. I fancy selling up for superhawk (as you folks call them!)

I'd like to know:

a) What are they like for commuting? The sp2 was snatchy, high geared and you had to slip the clutch a lot but what is the VTR like? And how will it cope with a track day in your opinion?

b) In the UK at least, the VTR was updated around 2001 - better suspension, bigger tank, clocks, higher bars apparently. Is it significantly better than the previous model - I've seen a mint bike near me for sale which is the older model but dont know if I should wait to find the last version.

Cheers
Old 04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Welcome Buckers - I think you would be happy with a Firestorm/Shawk. Of course this is the Superhawk forum
A - you'll see from reading old posts that the SHawk is a comfortable Sport tourer compared to pure sport bikes or race replicas. I've not ridden one, but I understand much different than the SP1 or SP2

B - The update was not hugely significant, except for perhaps the bigger tank. N.A. didn't get the tank and many wish we had it.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the site...

The later US ones, 2001+ also have the upgraded regulator/rectifier (finned case for better heat dissipation) and a different instument cluster with a clock and other LCD gauges.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I ride to work on my 2001 VTR. It's the best part of my day.
I don't have to deal with a lot of heavy traffic but I do encounter some. My bike pulls smoothly from 2000 rpm. I'm on the clutch a fair bit when traffic is moving at a crawl. It's a fairly light clutch. The only time things were a bit awkward during a commute was when I took a different route home that included a very long, steep hill and very heavy traffic.
I've had it on the track and it's fun but my bike is not stock. Brakes, suspension and tires have been upgraded. Without those changes my time on the track would have been exciting but much less fun.
As you know, it's not as fuel efficient as many other bikes. Petrol here is about a dollar per litre. That means less to me than it may to you.
The difference between pre-2001 and post-2000 Firestorms is not as marked as the difference between SP1's and SP2's. There were no significant changes to suspension, brakes or frame.
It's a very sound bike that's easy to ride. Only you know if it will meet your expectations or not. There's an enormous amount of information on this, British and Australian VTR forums.
Old 04-28-2010, 05:11 PM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Buckers - Depends upon length of commute.

I sometimes RTW but I have a 150 mile RT (if I slab it) but I usually do some twisty on way home & yes it is best part of day.

With that said, I stay w/ 600 for commuting, better MPG.

But get ur VTR for w/e & trips - install a Givi Top case
Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
The suspension update is not noticeable, the angle of the clipons is a definite improvement for comfort as is the larger tank. The dash is a visual thing apart from the addition of a clock and fuel level instead of a warning light for low fuel.
Re commuting if the bike is well used there will be some ****** compared to a hornet, but this can be improved by setting carb sync and getting the fueling right together with regearing the bike by adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket - at our suburban speed limits (60 KMH) this raises the revs out of the chugging low revs zone.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Squid

Whoa Nelly! is on a distinguished road
Hi Buckers - welcome to the forum. Between this and our own UK counterpart vtr1000.org (confusingly enough on http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/ind...f24a885678285a) there is a wealth of info, advice & sound folk who appreciate the quirks and grinnage of VTR ownership. Enjoy!
As for commuting - doable but prob not as good a choice as your Hornet - a hoot for everything else though. Later models a bit comfier & bigger range but not much in it. I've got a '99 and don't find the bars a problem. You won't regret either..
Old 04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road

If you had an RC51 and didn't like it, but didn't mod it to make it work then you'll need to be carefull buying a Firestorm cuz stock it's not finished...mods are required

Just wait an buy mine when I'm finished with it LOL!
Old 04-29-2010, 04:06 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Welcome Buckers, I commuted about 75 miles round trip on my VTR for 3 1/2 years before retiring just over a year ago. I have an '05, and the only change I made to ergonomics was the addition of a Sargent seat. However, the stock seat was just fine for the length of my commute.

And I'm an old dude, at 63. There are a number of us "seniors" on the Forum who ride these machines. I ride mostly in the twisties now.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Back Marker

CANADAVTR is on a distinguished road
The standard VTR feels OK for the commute IMHO....comfy, pulls clean from low down and not too high in the gearing. Are you in Manchester City or on the outskirts? I'm from Brighouse, across the hill on the M62, but now live in Toronto...

Good luck with your purchase - you won't ne disappointed!
Old 04-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Squid

mattmcgyver is on a distinguished road
I ride to work, slab in the predawn since there's no one there, and country twisties on the way home, on my 2002 stock VTR. 45 miles each way, or rather 43 miles in and 47 miles home the back way.

It's warmer than the '86 GS550 I daily commuted to school on for 4+ years because of the posture and shield.

I don't see much traffic but I've never felt bogged down by it. Easier than on the Harley.

M
Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nnjhawk02

........ install a Givi Top case
So you too can look like the Pizza delivry dude!! LMAO!!
Sorry Pat, I had to go there.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by CANADAVTR
The standard VTR feels OK for the commute IMHO....comfy, pulls clean from low down and not too high in the gearing. Are you in Manchester City or on the outskirts? I'm from Brighouse, across the hill on the M62, but now live in Toronto...

Good luck with your purchase - you won't ne disappointed!
I live in Reddish, inbetween Manch and Stockport. But I'm not a Manc at heart. I'm from Huddersfield originally. Lived first 20 years of my life inbetween J23 and J24, near the Wappy Spring pub if you know it
Old 04-30-2010, 06:05 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by buckers
I live in Reddish, inbetween Manch and Stockport. But I'm not a Manc at heart. I'm from Huddersfield originally. Lived first 20 years of my life inbetween J23 and J24, near the Wappy Spring pub if you know it
Flippin eck, I've been drinking at the Wappy Springs for years! I also had a pint at the New Inn in Sowood last summer, when we were back visitng family. My brother in law lives at Outlane in an old farmhouse on Swan Lane. Small world or what!

Let us know how you get on with the VTR - they're a great 'bike...

John
Old 05-01-2010, 01:36 AM
Squid

A small world indeed John. I used to go to the New Inn as well. Terrible chips though.

Ever used to drink at The Swan in Outlane? I worked there for years as a lad. Dave and Irene were the tenants at the time (late 80s). Happy days.

I'm playing golf with my bro at Outlane on Sunday. I know - bikes and golf?!!! I've just lost all credibility
Old 05-01-2010, 07:33 AM
SuperSport

nnjhawk02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SPRHK
So you too can look like the Pizza delivry dude!! LMAO!!
Sorry Pat, I had to go there.
LOL

Dick

Yeah but it will carry my shyte to F1 road trip to Montreal via backroads thru ADacks

Old 05-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by buckers
A small world indeed John. I used to go to the New Inn as well. Terrible chips though.

Ever used to drink at The Swan in Outlane? I worked there for years as a lad. Dave and Irene were the tenants at the time (late 80s). Happy days.

I'm playing golf with my bro at Outlane on Sunday. I know - bikes and golf?!!! I've just lost all credibility
How was the golf? I know the course - is it the one adjacent ot the M62? The Swan is on the other side of the '62, right?

The wife is off to Brighouse tomorrow for 3 weeks - flies out of Toronto Tuesday night...lots of time to ride my VTR in Ontario! Yayyyyy!!!!
Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Squid

The golf was awful! The wind was strong, I was weak. Yes its the course on the M62 and the Swan is the pub on the other side.

My news - bought a VTR this week. 1900 for a 4k miles, 99, black. Picking up Saturday but I have a mammoth journey in UK terms - 10 hr round trip. Just a hop over the pond...