General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Header pipes only...WHAATT??

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:00 PM
Back Marker

aka Yamadog is on a distinguished road
Header pipes only...WHAATT??

Whew! I just rode my Hawk from the storage bay to the house (condo where motorcycles are not allowed). Man, it was Loud as Hell with no exhaust. My ears are hurting and I tried to keep it down low. I'm sure the Old Faukers around here are all stirred up now. There is even a rule here that says cars cant be 'backed' into our driveways. I'm going to install the Devils tomorrow and the Two Brothers and take some Pics. I'll be out there with my bike 'backed' in and blipping the throttle. I'm sure the parking police will come by and I'll get them to show me where these rules are enumerated on a document I am bound to.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:09 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I've done this in my garage but I would never even think about riding it like that. OK, maybe I have thought about it. Probably wouldn't make it across town without some sort of noise ticket.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by mboe794
Probably wouldn't make it across town without some sort of noise ticket.
Yeah, only 3 blocks but the PoPo keep it well patrolled. I was taking a chance. I was lucky
Old 10-20-2009, 06:02 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Open midpipes-everyone needs to try it at least once. You don't get the full effect until you're passing 4 or 5k rpm
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I rode it like this right before i made my exhaust. Part of the reason was that I sold my cans to one captainchaos while the bike was being stored away from the shop. It sounded awesome. With megaphones, it would be totally raceable. Not that it would pass dB levels, but it would make it sound like the world was coming to an end.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:23 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Sounds alright, but runs like ****.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:04 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
cant back you car in???? wtf??? you gotta back out right???
Old 10-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Back Marker

little squirt is on a distinguished road
supertards can back it in!!

yea i tried the open mid pipes once.............that was enough for me
Old 10-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
Open midpipes-everyone needs to try it at least once. You don't get the full effect until you're passing 4 or 5k rpm

I actually did that today, but I got mine up to 8k. Man I love that sound
Old 10-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jay956

Gotta love Homeowners Association rules.

They prolly have a rule where if you want a little yapdog, you have to get a pair..........and they have to have matching hair ribbons.

The further wussification of America!

Rex
Old 10-20-2009, 09:25 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
Thats how i roll........loud as hell!

moto_0160.jpg?t=1256099093
Old 10-21-2009, 09:08 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by jay956
Yeah, they got lots of rules. They don't want recycle bins on the curb because they are unsightly. ( see my special recycle bins below) Everybody is supposed to park the same way, paint their doors the same color. If I park one of the bikes in the drive they'll come by and have a talk with me. I'm actually having fun messing with them in the spirit of this (my favorite) web site.

http://www.27bslash6.com/grubby.html
Attached Thumbnails Header pipes only...WHAATT??-p1010099.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, some people just want to live in their perfect little controlled world.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:38 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Yeah, probably a reaction to people who do whatever they want. Like run their bikes with headers only.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by nekkid
Yeah, probably a reaction to people who do whatever they want. Like run their bikes with headers only.
touché

Actually, I cut the engine and coasted as I passed through the entrance and by all my neighbors out of mutual respect and common sense. I just expect the same in return. My approach was still pretty obnoxious though.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog
Yeah, they got lots of rules. They don't want recycle bins on the curb because they are unsightly. ( see my special recycle bins below) Everybody is supposed to park the same way, paint their doors the same color. If I park one of the bikes in the drive they'll come by and have a talk with me. I'm actually having fun messing with them in the spirit of this (my favorite) web site.

I suggest putting recycle bins in their yard, and use stakes so they have a bitch of a time removing them.
Or launch them onto their roof.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by k-d-williams
Man I've done it a couple times for ***** and giggles for a short ride, along with open headers (or single chamber flowmasters-basically just as loud) in the corvette, but I don't know how you ride around like that all the time. I had a good friend with a wide glide he did some motor work to-absolutely the loudest damn bike I've ever heard-it was actually uncomfortable to ride along side him on the right side. Maybe I'm just getting old
Old 10-21-2009, 11:04 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

AdamK is on a distinguished road
OK question, one of my bikes is a custom chopper with a Revtech 100 inch motor and I run 2 to 2 straight pipes all day long. How lmuch louder (if any) is the SH w/ no mufflers? I am curious cuase they are both vtwins but considering Honda motor vs Revtech big vtwin wasn't sure if there is huge noise difference. Someone is going to tell me "only one way to find out" I am sure just thought I would ask.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... Consider the difference in revs as you ride them... You don't run the big revtech lump to those revs as you do on the VTR... That makes a huge difference... It's obnoxious just off idle... At full tilt it's mindblowing...
Old 10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Originally Posted by k-d-williams

Not sure what it is called but with no pipes under or near the rear seat do you have something under there to improve the look? I do not know what they are called but I have seen them on other bikes so you are not looking at all the black plastic but something color matched... *does that make sense*? Fender eliminator or something? If so where did you get it?
Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
Well... Consider the difference in revs as you ride them... You don't run the big revtech lump to those revs as you do on the VTR... That makes a huge difference... It's obnoxious just off idle... At full tilt it's mindblowing...
"Mindblowing" Yeah, that's the right description.

I had a midpipe on my 2-into-1 disconnect (at luicrous speed) on the highway while heading to work one morning. Instantly the cars around made LOTS of ROOM. You'd have thought I was on fire. Probably a few of them packed their shorts when I blew past.

Funny thing is I didn't notice it for the first few seconds. Then it dawns on you that SOMETHING is really wrong. Fortunately the detail cop I passed as I was pulling into the office had a sense of humor. You know it's loud when you're embarrased to fire it up again.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Dan Cronin
You'd have thought I was on fire. Probably a few of them packed their shorts when I blew past
LOL

I rode my buell like this for a while blowing flames as well. People DO move over.
Old 10-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jaypo
LOL

I rode my buell like this for a while blowing flames as well. People DO move over.
= Awesome!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 AM
Back Marker

Fozzy Bear is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aka Yamadog

That website is an absolute classic
Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 AM
MotoGP

I once blew out the remains of the dampening wool in my Muzzy pipe on a CBR929 on the freeway while downshifting for an overtake... it went from loud bussing sound to full roar in a split second just as I passed the drivers window... Unfortunately the car I was overtaking was a marked police car... An no I wasn't speeding...

But I did get pulled over and was told to fix it ASAP... I think he was caught off guard as he started swerving before hitting the lights and sirens...
Old 10-22-2009, 04:52 AM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tweety
I once blew out the remains of the dampening wool...
What was this wool dampening? I have never heard of wool in the exhaust with the purpose of making something wet.

Sorry, just like with my students, bringing awareness to damping and dampening. As I always tell them, that shock isn't making anything wet!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by autoteach
What was this wool dampening? I have never heard of wool in the exhaust with the purpose of making something wet.

Sorry, just like with my students, bringing awareness to damping and dampening. As I always tell them, that shock isn't making anything wet!
Oi!... Remeber I can miss spell stuff in 7 languages... One slip up now and then should be allowed...
Old 10-22-2009, 04:50 PM
SuperBike

AdamK: Not sure what it is called but with no pipes under or near the rear seat do you have something under there to improve the look? I do not know what they are called but I have seen them on other bikes so you are not looking at all the black plastic but something color matched... *does that make sense*? Fender eliminator or something? If so where did you get it?

I have a Sharkskinz inner fender that is painted to match the bike. It is very clean looking and replaces all of the ugly honda fender!

Last edited by k-d-williams; 10-22-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Man I've done it a couple times for ***** and giggles for a short ride, along with open headers (or single chamber flowmasters-basically just as loud) in the corvette, but I don't know how you ride around like that all the time. I had a good friend with a wide glide he did some motor work to-absolutely the loudest damn bike I've ever heard-it was actually uncomfortable to ride along side him on the right side. Maybe I'm just getting old

Thats how the bike looks on trackday weekends, notice the absence of mirrors, blinkers, etc... ussually the rear sets are off too. At the moment i have my MIG's on. Everybody i ride with complains too much when i have my stubbies on, all i can say is ride faster and try to stay up front if ya can...hahaha!

In reality, i problably run the stubbies about 5 months out of the year. I have never been stopped for loud pipes (knock on wood) the cops just look up at me and shake their heads, i'm guessing they were expecting a really loud harley to appear and dont know what to think when they see the yellow bird!
Old 10-23-2009, 06:49 AM
Always Learning
Back Marker

Hey K-D, with those slash cuts that you have on there now, can you just "slip on" a set of slip ons over the slash cut to quiet it down when needed?

Quick Reply: Header pipes only...WHAATT??