Old 07-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
The Hawks equal?

what bike is the hawks equal or better?

Ok ground rules here are.

1. is currently in production.

2. does not need a ton of mods to equal what the hawk offers stock.

3. preferably still a v twin for the sound it makes. but open to suggestions.

4. has to handle well, stop well, make lots of torque, and is solid mechanically.

5. twisty riding has to be this bikes heart and soul. it has to live and breath for eating up asphalt.

if i left something off the list for the criteria some one let me know. i am curios to the suggestion some of the more solid ,older riders here would be willing to add to their stable of bikes if and when it becomes impractical to keep up with the hawk any longer.

Last edited by 5150; 07-05-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
thats not a very specific list IMO...

lots of bikes fit that...

for some reason i'm thinking of the Triumph Sprint ST

http://www.triumph.co.uk/canada/2009...20ST_8648.aspx

the 1050cc triple engine is a nice balance between V-twin low end grunt and 4cyl SS peaky power...
Old 07-05-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by Red_Liner740
thats not a very specific list IMO...

lots of bikes fit that...

for some reason i'm thinking of the Triumph Sprint ST

http://www.triumph.co.uk/canada/2009...20ST_8648.aspx

the 1050cc triple engine is a nice balance between V-twin low end grunt and 4cyl SS peaky power...
actually your suggestion is a really good one. that bike seems very nice.

make a suggestion though for what else i could use to narrow it down some in the list.

i just want to be able to ride something that rivals my hawk in every detail but do not want to have to worry about parts not being made any more or it being so old that after market mods are not really made for the bike. and i would like to start looking into the suggestions earlier before the time comes so i can make a decision based on facts and not on the need to ride.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:36 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
A Hyosung?

(just kidding)
Old 07-05-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
A Hyosung?

(just kidding)
lol
Old 07-05-2009, 05:42 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I've never ridden one but today in at the gas station I pulled into some one was filling up a KTM Duke 990.... it fits the V-Twin and sound requirements... and actually better looking in person than photos I've seen... it was flat black... looked really sweet.

J.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:51 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Ducatis are super V-twins. They just cost a lot more, and require a lot more mechanical attention to certain areas than any honda. ( keep the valves adjusted )
Old 07-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
i think the closest thing to a VTR would have to be the SV-1000

Sport Touring V-twin, not a full out SS ridng position, half fairings, 1000cc, comparable power but FI, good aftermarket support, and they just stopped making them (or still are)

nothing else really comes as close, the next closest to VTR would be its primary rival the TLR or TLS but those are just as old and got replaced with the SV.

other bikes that come close dont mimic VTR....its because not that many bikes came V-twin in our segment....
Old 07-05-2009, 06:08 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

The only problem with Suzukis is they crack up under stress like a chineese bicycle.
Poor materials...,great engineering otherwise.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:20 PM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

hmmm. with such a great following and nothing else really comparing in the class i do not see why Honda abandoned this platform and features. from what i see it really just needed a bit of updating and some better brakes, bigger gas tank and not a whole lot else.

why give up on a bike that they have right? and replace it with? what was the hawk replaced with by Honda by the way?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:18 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
I really like the ducati 900ss and it was my first choice before buying the hawk. It is a little more comfortable for me than the hawk, has lots of power, great for touring, handles great, rides real smooth, and I love the styling. IMO it is somewhat comparible to the hawk, but pricier...
Old 07-05-2009, 07:22 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

They were probably inspired by the "change" bullshit Our newly elected criminals were promoting.
You know, take something proven to work for hundreds of years, and throw it out in favor of some alternative thinking.
If it works very well, its got to be too good for the common person... those common peon citezens should not have the freedom to have anything that really works.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:27 PM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Maybe a VFR? Tons of support, Honda reliability, nice ergonomics. sound good piped, still in production, nice conservative looks....... If I had to buy right now I think the VFR might be on my list. I had an '87 and still remember it well. They might not be as fast as a VTR but they excel in other areas that I'm exploring. I would really love to do some week-enders, maybe 1000 miles or so and be comfortable but still be able to twist it out.

eh, just some ramblings from an old guy.....
Old 07-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Back Marker

revhead1957 is on a distinguished road
Aprilia Tuono - better suspension than the VTR, same sort of power. The only downsides are the fact that it is a naked bike and the complicated visual look. Plus aprilias in australia lose value quickly.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:44 PM
Squid

firehawk is on a distinguished road
I thought Honda came out with the Hawk in mid 90's to challenge Duc v-twin in WSB; but Suzzy came out with the TLS & diverted Hawk's sales; thus the RC came out & did win the WSB w/ Edwards on board; now all 4 Japs manufacturer are focussed on IL4's except for Viffer 800 & soon 1200.

The present v-twin comparable to the Hawk are: Ape's RSV Factory, bunch of Ducs & KTooM's RC8, I suppose.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
The new Ducati Streetfighter would be my replacement fot the SH. http://www.streetfighter.ducati.com/...ex.jsp?lang=en
Old 07-06-2009, 06:21 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Okay, so I've been asleep - I didn't know, or had forgotten, that Suzi dropped the SV1000. Bummer.

I'm surprised to hear that the Tuono drops value in Australia .... I tend to think it's a Euro favorite (it got rave reviews in Brit zines) and I guess I would have applied that to Aus as well.

I like the new Ducati Streetfighter, as well as other Ds, but as mentioned above the desmo valves look to be a PITA, and I've been wondering about the belt changes (how frequent, difficult).
Old 07-06-2009, 06:54 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The ones that comes closest IMO are the following:
- leftover SV1000s
- KTM SuperDuke 990 (and SMT 990 for those lucky enough to get them)
- Tuono
- Speed Triple and Sprint ST
- BMW R1200 (naked or S version)
- Moto Morini 1200 (no dice outside Europe I believe)
- Benelli Triples (900 or 1130)
- Ducati Monster 1100, Steetfighter, Supermotard, Multistrada

None of these are an exact replacement (although the SV does come quite close). I would personally opt for the Sprint ST given my sport-touring preference (although the SMT 990 would be interesting too if it ever comes to North America)

Last edited by mikstr; 07-06-2009 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 06:56 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by firehawk
I thought Honda came out with the Hawk in mid 90's to challenge Duc v-twin in WSB; but Suzzy came out with the TLS & diverted Hawk's sales; thus the RC came out & did win the WSB w/ Edwards on board; now all 4 Japs manufacturer are focussed on IL4's except for Viffer 800 & soon 1200.

The present v-twin comparable to the Hawk are: Ape's RSV Factory, bunch of Ducs & KTooM's RC8, I suppose.
Not quite, the VTR was meant to lie somewhere between the 900SS and 916 (it was never emant to tackle the racetrack). The RSV and RC8 are more competitors to the RC51.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:03 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Ducati Streetfighter $15,000
Ducati 1100 Monster $12,000
Aprilia RSV $14,000
Aprilia Tuano $13,000
KTM Duke $14,500
Triumph Speed Triple $11,300
Buell 1125 CR $12,000

The SuperHawk $Priceless
Old 07-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Superstock

pigwings
Talking Fault

Originally Posted by Circuit_Burner
They were probably inspired by the "change" bullshit Our newly elected criminals were promoting.
You know, take something proven to work for hundreds of years, and throw it out in favor of some alternative thinking.
If it works very well, its got to be too good for the common person... those common peon citezens should not have the freedom to have anything that really works.
What? What? It's the demoncrats fault they don't make the vtr anymore?
Old 07-06-2009, 07:20 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
If we are being honest, so many bikes offer everything the SH does and a lot more that its hard to say. We are all so biased toward its virtues but that is more an emotional attachment or modding sickness. But the virtues come down to a bike that is mid in power, weight, handling (maybe as stock), comfort -- and not too great looking. That should not be too hard to equal or beat!! I think this web site and its following are probably be the only great and unique attributes.

But if we are trying to find the quirky ugly duckling equivalent that takes a special taste to love................then I think the thing that comes closest in character and intent is probably BMW's R1200S - does more than most riders can handle, has some special appeal, don't see many of them and you can do it all on the bike.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:49 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 5150
i am curios to the suggestion some of the more solid ,older riders here would be willing to add to their stable of bikes if and when it becomes impractical to keep up with the hawk any longer.
I'm only 58 and not all that "solid", but I'm hoping i don't get too old for a bike like this.

That BMW R1200S has appeal. The Speed Triple is a great bike. Maybe an FZ1 would fill the bill, but I'm hoping not to need something like that for at least 12 years (or more).
Old 07-06-2009, 08:15 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by L8RGYZ
That BMW R1200S has appeal. The Speed Triple is a great bike.
I have not ridden the 1200S but the naked version is a blast. I would imagine the S is even more fun. As for the Speed Triple, another great bike; torquey engine, nice handling, can`t really go wrong.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 AM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I like the duc 848, but like others have said about maintenance ...sigh...
Old 07-06-2009, 08:23 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cornandp
I like the duc 848, but like others have said about maintenance ...sigh...
at least the 848 has the wet clutch so it doesn't sound like your investment is about to fall apart.

tim
Old 07-06-2009, 08:28 AM
MotoGP

I rode a 1098 for a day and found the chatter of the dry clutch (combiend with the engine noise) reminded me a lot of a buddy`s highly tuned Big Block Chevy (with aggresive cams). Might wear thin after a while but I kind of enjoyed it at the time.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Squid

Super Penguin 996 is on a distinguished road
If you've got the $...go Speed Triple!! Not that I am biased, or that it is my dreambike...or that someday I will own one...
Old 07-06-2009, 09:28 AM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Triumph Speed Triple 1050.... 'nuff said.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Originally Posted by mikstr
I have not ridden the 1200S but the naked version is a blast. I would imagine the S is even more fun. As for the Speed Triple, another great bike; torquey engine, nice handling, can`t really go wrong.
Agreed, so why are Triumphs noted as quick to lose resale value? (For that matter, the Tuono too.) Triumphs seem like good, solid bikes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Hawks equal?