General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Happy new year to all!

Old 01-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Squid

AJG101 is on a distinguished road
Happy new year to all!

Hi there guys.

My name is Andy and I've just taken the plunge and bought my first VTR. I'll post some pictures of it as soon as I can but here's my first train of thought. I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me some ideas as where to start with the most important modifications? It's had a few bits done to it by the previous owner including SS cans and pipes, belly pan, mini flashers, polished frame, rims etc, etc. I'm more interested in engine mods as already have the cosmietic side sorted as it's going to the the shop for a full spray in 3 weeks. (Although any cool ideas welcome)! The bike is also having a full service and inspection at the same time so would be an ideal opportunity for new bits to go on.

Just to let you know that my mechanical expertise extends as far as buying the Haynes manual!

Many thanks and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Superstock

steve.g is on a distinguished road
Welcome.... The VTR is a great bike.You must replace the stock cam chain tensioners (CCT) as they are prone to failure,leading to possible major engine damage and check to see if your bike has a late model regulator/rectifier (RR).This is easy to tell as the later RRs have cast fins (heat sink),if not change it.
There is ALL the info you need here.Check out the knowledge base....Enjoy your ride!!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Squid

AJG101 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Thanks steve.q

Many thanks for the info. What you said about the Cam Chain Tensioner was bang on. Apparantly the spring has been stretched and the unit needs to be replaced. (Too much time on the back wheel I'm told)! As for the rectifier, I'll check that out over the weekend and see what the score is with it.

Cheers buddy.