General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

hands go numb

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 07:58 PM
Squid

996RIDER is on a distinguished road
hands go numb

is there a set of grips out there that anyone can recomend with a larger diameter for my oversized hands. i have stock grips now and i just can't keep the circulation going to my fingers even for a quick ride around town. i'm deeling with it for the time being because i love the bike. between work and riding anytime i get a chance(because of the weather in maine), i just can't bring myself to stop and shop(i'm having to much fun).
Old 06-05-2007, 08:09 PM
Squid

Corona Hawk is an unknown quantity at this point
You could try the foam grips. They are supposed to absorb the vibration better. If you use gel grips, they amplify the vibration to your hands.
J&P Cycle sells foam grips for sportbikes.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Squid

thanx, but i don't think vibration is the problem. the handle bars just feel like a small broom stick in my hand, i think i'm closing my hand too much, but i'll try the foam grips to see how it works, its not like they cost a lot.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:20 PM
Squid

maybe i have carpul tunnel(excuse the spelling)
Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Superstock

nineighthawk
Don't lean on the bars.

You need to relax your hands, use your abdominals, legs and back to hold you up.
It takes time to develop the midsection to accept doing it for long rides.

You might also want to try a set of bar risers to help your angle.

Very common problem with sporty bikes.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:10 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
I have a set of Grand Touring USA grips on my VTR.

They are shaped like a barrel, narrow on the ends, large in the middle. They are approximately .5 inches larger in diameter than standard sportbike grips. Extremely comfortable.

I saw them on an Ironbutt Blackbird at a rally and thought to myself 'Man, here is somebody who does some serious saddletime. Those grips have got to be comfy.'

BTW +1 on the recommendation about keeping your weight off of your hands. Keep your elbows bent and suuport your weight with your abdominal muscles.

Geoff in Almonte
Old 06-06-2007, 06:21 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
My only advice is to try to grip the bars as softly as possible. I try to actually concentrate on doing this. Most of the time i just let my palms rest lightly on the grips with my fingers & thumbs just pointing forward & downward. This way it's just an easy push on one side or the other to steer the bike.

The side benefit I think, is that the bike handles better because I don't have a death grip on the bars. And less vibration gets transmitted to my body. YMMV.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:23 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Are you wearing gloves??? That always adds a bit of diameter to the bars, plus the extra safety....

Also... using a higher/flatter bar... I have a bad wrist and elbow, using a set of VFR bars whcih are a tad higher and flatter helped alot.... even my back felt better.

J.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:51 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
cover the brake & clutch with at least 2 fingers - this will let your hands relax more.

pay attention to the heigh of the levers & rotate them if needed. in your normal riding position you should cover the levers with your wrist straight with your forearm.

tim
Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I have the same problem, this is the most limiting factor on my bike, gloves actually make it worse. Blood flow is the key, light grip, I find the throttle spring to be a little stiff (good for safety tough) and promote a tighter grip to keep the throttle from closing. So resting on the grips cuts the flow, tight grip, tight gloves, wrist angles. You may scare yourself a bit it raise blood pressure
Old 06-06-2007, 08:27 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
try adding heavy bar-end weights too, they dampenl the vibration to a noticeable degree
Old 06-06-2007, 01:29 PM
my e-penis is huge!!
Superstock
Superstock

SPRHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

A couple of solutions to try:

#1- make sure your gloves fit properly. If they are too snug, they will hit pressure points causing numbness. This also goes for "gauntlet gloves". If you tighten the wrist strap too tight, it will do the same thing.

#2- do not hold the bars so tight. A tight grip / stiff arm approach to riding will have the same results.

#3- when you are in your riding position, make sure that when you extend your fingers out to the levers,you arm from elbow to fingertips should be a straight line. If your hands are angled upwards or downwards, you will start getting sore wrists, numb hands.

If this doesn't help you at all, hopefully some one out there will find it useful.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:03 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
They have some inexexpensive gloves with gel inserts in the palms if its a vibration thing. But if you get it even for a short quick ride, maybe you do have carpal tunnel syndrome or something similar. The suggestions by SPRHK are right on. Avoid extension at the risk or too much weight on them. If its nerve related you'd get those symptoms at other times too - like typing a long post on the keyboard for one - and if you get it that quickly I'd think you'd be aware of it other times. If you raise your arms straight above your head for 2 minutes and you get the same symptoms that is a pretty good sign somethign is wrong. How old are you? They have solutions for it and you should get it medically checked out. Otherwise, see if you can raise the bars (heli's) to take some weight off the wrists, make sure you are scooted far forward on the seat to decrease the reach and neck flextion and what was noted above. I doubt changing the grips will help a lot.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Squid

thehandyman is on a distinguished road
Wear gloves and buy a cramp buster.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Squid

all excellant responses, thanx, i'll keep them in mind. and i'll try to find those grips. thanx again!!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 09:42 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
I really recommend a good quality set of handlbar risers. I lucked out, my used hawk came with them, but they are multi-adjustable, up, down, in , out, angles, etc. and take much of the stress off your hands (although if you go too high, your chest is more in the wind. Also, if your bar ends are angled too close to the tank, this can put too much stress on your wrists, forcing weight down on your hands.) I would also recommend sitting on your bike with a set of wrenches, loosening your handlebars and both levers on the bars, get into a comfortable seating position then tilt the bars and levers until your hands and wrists feel naturally comfortable and then tighten everything down. Take a test ride and make sure sharp turns are o.k. too. Keep in mind the bike is not a sport tourer so even though I'm comfortable, I still start to feel it in my wrists/hands after about 45 minutes of riding. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:34 PM
Squid

again great responses, thanx for the help, i appreciate your time.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:45 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Throttle return spring mod

Originally Posted by gboezio
I have the same problem, this is the most limiting factor on my bike, gloves actually make it worse. Blood flow is the key, light grip, I find the throttle spring to be a little stiff (good for safety tough) and promote a tighter grip to keep the throttle from closing. So resting on the grips cuts the flow, tight grip, tight gloves, wrist angles. You may scare yourself a bit it raise blood pressure
You can safely remove one end on the return spring (just let it dangle) on the front carb to reduce grip stress. I've been running with one spring for 50k miles with no worries.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Squid

bmwalfaone is on a distinguished road
GRIPS

I love these grips and had the same problem.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...014737/c-10111

I have them on all three of my bikes. These used to be a real common design 20 years ago.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:17 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
I have Grand Touring USA grips on my 'Storm. They are easily .5 - .75 inches wider in diameter at their widest point than the stock grips. They are shaped like a barrel. I saw them on an Ironbutt Blackbird and decided to try them.

Very comfortable. And FAT.

G
Old 09-21-2007, 11:15 AM
Back Marker

bluevtr
I know the feeling.

I used to have just the same problem. My hands were so numb after 15 minutes that I couldn't feel any of my fingers on my throttle hand. And that was with a loose grip, fingers on the brake lever. I was almost thinking of selling the bike. Out of despiration, I tried Convertibars. They were kindof a pain to install, but made a HUGE difference. The trick is, you still need to use proper form, by getting weight off the grips, but the height makes it much easier to do that. Elbows should be down, not out, forearms roughly parallel to the ground. Now long rides are fine.