General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Fustrated

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 08:20 AM
Squid

gsuperhawk is on a distinguished road
Question Fustrated

I installed new clutch kit (springs and disk). Everything seemed to go fine...At about a quarter mile into first ride with new set a loud clanking noise started! what did I do wrong. I soaked the plates before install, I place the new plates in the same way the old plates came out... Could the new plates be the wrong ones? I ordered EBC kevlar plates from EBAY. The springs came with the plates. Maybe I should put the old plates back and see if the " clicking continues? SUPERHAWK DOWN! SUPERHAWK DOWN!

Last edited by gsuperhawk; 09-14-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
.. ok so lets make some terms clear so all can talk about the same parts.

Clutch disks.. drive and driven plates not "brakes and pads"

the steel plate (#6) is the drive plate
the fiber plate (#5) is the driven plate

See the inner most driver (fiber) plate in the clutch stack? nearest the motor..That one has a larger inner diameter,, so it fits over the anti judder springs (#7&8)

and the judder spring must be installed correctly.
The flat spring seat goes on first, then the cupped judder spring on next (see below pic, lower right corner)

Lastly, some aftermarket clutch disk kits (fiber / driven) do not use the OEM judder spring.. what you'll find is all of the driven disks have the same size inner diameter ..
Attached Thumbnails Fustrated-0700%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by E.Marquez; 09-14-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:30 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gsuperhawk
I installed new clutch kit (springs and disk). Everything seemed to go fine...At about a quarter mile into first ride with new set a loud clanking noise started! what did I do wrong. I soaked the plates before install, I place the new plates in the same way the old plates came out... Could the new plates be the wrong ones? I ordered EBC kevlar plates from EBAY. The springs came with the plates. Maybe I should put the old plates back and see if the " clicking continues? SUPERHAWK DOWN! SUPERHAWK DOWN!
Besides the obvious.. something came loose, something left loose.

Id say make sure your new noise is in fact coming from the clutch area.
Hate to see you tear it apart again only to realize your chain is loose and it's clanking on the exhaust header every time you get off the gas (and chain slack goes to the low side)
Old 09-14-2013, 09:32 AM
Squid

Wow...your my main man

I think I have that judder spring wrong! But thats the way it was when I opened it...Well I going to open it again.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:42 AM
Squid

Not chain

Here's what happen... Bike was lagging on acceleration. I thought it might be the clutch's because it was slipping out of second gear also. Whamo! I change facings (not plates) and springs. close everthing up and ride approx. 5 city blocks. Clanking starts I immediately turn off bike and coast home. I opened bike again this morning and saw nothing. (sorry for leaving out these details your patience is appreciated) Now I see your diagram and I think I put that judder spring in the wrong place. (there was only one though when I open it up)