General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Forum or Email List??

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Squid

MrFurious29
Forum or Email List??

Just curious if the new forums will be fazing out the email list. Personally, I can't see a point in keeping both, as you will eventually wind up with two independant groups who will only use the one they prefer. Obvisouly, the goal should be to get everyone on either one or the other to keep everyone in one place and working together.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:50 AM
Squid

nomead
Re: Forum or Email List??

There were a bunch of guys who preffered the email list...work safe purposes and convenience. Looks like a divide is forming...
Old 07-11-2004, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point
Solution: You can subscribe to Digests via the Digests link in Board Navigation. This will send out Daily, Weekly or Monthly board digests via Email.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

Originally Posted by david
I don't know if it's possible, but the absolute best way to handle the issue would be to have a transparent email interface to the forum. By that, I mean having individual messages sent to an individual's addy and any replies made autoposted to the forum. That way, email die-hards like me would be much more willing to participate. Not as difficult as you might think if you attach a specific ID to messages sent out and have some decent fault-tolerance. However, as a C.S. guy I know that if the software doesn't do it now, modifiying it might be a nightmare and practically impossible, as in you could do it if you re-wrote the whole thing.

I have little patience with the speed of the internet, and for waiting for large pages (like this one) to load. It literally took seconds (I'm on DSL, 640Kb down) to finish. It takes me longer to navigate the forum than it does to read the messages. In my world, the page would load before I knew I wanted it to, if you get my drift.

However, I am now in digest mode so we'll see how it all works out. If you take enough people away from runlevelzero, I might have to move here.
I am working on that. I found a modification that would let people email right to the Forums. Need to find time to install and play with it. I will probably have a test run next week some time.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:25 AM
Back Marker

Random

Personally, I'm a fan of "Forums" over "Email groups".

Forums allow you to search/read only the topics you're interested in.

With Email groups you get sent ALL The topics/posts. It ends up almost like spam. I quit the VTR mailing list after realizing that 90% of the emails were NON-VTR related.

With a forum, those posts end up in the "Non-VTR" forum, so I'm not "forced" to read them to get to the technical stuff I actually WANT to read.

I do understand that each person has a preference (Email or forum), just giving my $0.02.
Old 07-21-2004, 07:13 AM
Squid

mykrowsy

I've had a problem with the email-list in figuring out what is a response to what and such. When you go to the archives, it's really hard to navigate the messages chronologically. Also, I can't figure out how to reply to a subject.

I like the forums, cause each topic is clickable, and chronological, neat and pretty. Don't know if we need these, though: :P 8) :wink:
Old 07-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

As stated in the Global Announcement, there is now a Mailing List available. If you subscribe, you will received emails of all posts in the "Mailing List" subforum and all emails sent to list@superhawkforum.com will be posted in the same sub-forum.

Responses to a particular email subject will be posted as a response to the original forum post...

Give it a try.

Later,