General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Ever get the cool cop?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 08:54 PM
KANKS!
Squid

RIHDER34 is on a distinguished road
Ever get the cool cop?

So my buddy drove a kenworth to his senior prom and me and my buddies rode to it to check it out. After drooling over it for a little we decided to go find some good twisties. Trying to be cool me and my friend pulled a 1st gear wheelie coming out. WE get about half way down the road and turn around realizing we went the wrong direction. We ride about half way back down the same road and low and behold a cop coming from the opposite direction cuts in front of us and wedges us in. He kinda freaked out yelled and screamed alot then told us to get the F**k out of his township. I guess he was in a good mood? well bottom line is i did a wheelie in front of a cop and he gave us nothing more then a little speech.

Anyone else have so close encounters like that?

Last edited by RIHDER34; 05-18-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:57 PM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Hauling *** around the TX hill country, pulled over by DPS officer. He asked where I was from, then said, slow down!...then he took off. Lucked out.

Last edited by badboyrr; 05-16-2009 at 09:00 PM. Reason: DIDN'T FINISH TEXT
Old 05-16-2009, 09:45 PM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
All cops that decline to chase us are automatically uber-cool.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
There's a motorcycle cop on my way to work who has the best/worst hiding place (52W under the 15 overpass). He's nodded to me on my bike when I was pretty sure I was speeding (no gauges).
Old 05-16-2009, 10:33 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
I am the cool cop.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:01 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Legend has it... My business partner had an employee who got pulled over for 120ish. He gets a stern lecture but is let go because the cop, a rider himself, says he's done the same thing once or twice in his life (wink, wink). Later on that day, on a different stretch of highway, he gets pulled over for 100+... by the same cop. The cop writes him a citation and wishes him luck in court. He should of hauled his *** off to jail.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:31 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Still waiting to meet that cop. Best case, I get a ticket, worst case, I get a ******** lecturing me for 15 over and a ticket.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:24 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
It's good to remember that cop doesn't equate with hard ***. I have three encounters where the cop took notice of the actual situation (the threat to others, my actual recklessness, not just what the book says).

I'll just report on one such occasion. I was riding Route 1 in Oregon with my bike packed up, returning from a two-month long ride. I came to a backed up intersection in a small town. The backup was due to someone waiting for the all-clear to turn left at an adjoining road up ahead to the left. I pulled around the four or five cars waiting, riding on the shoulder to get past the jam. Little did I know that there was a cop at the intersection, and he promptly pulled me over.

Fortunately, he looked at my packed up bike and my Cali plates and he knew that I was not a hooligan but a fish out of water (going around a car in such a situation is legal in CA, not OR). He informed me of the Oregon code in a pleasant manner and sent me on my way. Nice guy fairly applying his authority.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:39 AM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
125 in a 35. pulled over by a harley cop. big talking to, but he was real cool. said "i know you guys have people who care about you, slow it down. If you have to rip at 120 do it on the highway." end of the day we ended up with no ticket.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:18 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Was bombing some back roads on Super Bowl sunday... wicked it up on a short straight to check out the brief glimpse of bike way up ahead...coming up through a 120 or so (55 speed limit) the cop comes around the bend up ahead... I dump the brakes on as he hits the lites... I'm stopped B4 he gets to me, turned off ignition and flipped up visor as he launches into the "wtf are you doing speech" at full volume and says "if I wasn't late for my SB party I'd put you under the jail" etc. and burns off w/ a warning that "(his) buddy is gonna check on me coming up behind him..."

I couldn't complain... that was pretty cool, for a cop...

and I waved at his sheriff bud who was laughing at me as I was very carefully doing the speed limit, lol!
Old 05-17-2009, 06:35 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Interacted with a couple of cool cops on the bike.

Buddy and I rode to the bar in wet conditions. It was drier when we went to go home, but was threatening to rain again. Doing about 85 in a 65. As we passed him (his lights were off and he was in the median), he flipped on his spotlight. Pulls out, we pull over. "Trying to beat the rain home?" "Yes sir" "Let me run your licenses" comes back "Alright, ride safe". Back up to 85 or so we went.

The other one was with a different buddy. Headed home from the bar. We take a side road. He's clutching up wheelies, and putting them down when we see head lights. Cop is following a ways back, we didn't know it. Pulls us over, chats, runs our licenses, sends us home.
Old 05-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Back Marker

nfbzike
got a ticket for doing 80+ in a 35 once (seriously the road was reconstructed and was arrow straight with no houses or roads off of it). I also might of done a little wheelie. the cop gave me the summons to court. I go to court and the prosecuters want to know why i wasnt arrested and jailed. When they asked the cop he said "well i thought i was giving him a break" and in reality ... he was. The prosecuter said she wasnt gonna take it easy on me and i had to pay the whole fine. $100 bucks. apparently i was going so fast they dont have a speeding bracket for it so i just got a general speeding. sweeeet!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Originally Posted by chickenstrip
the cop took notice of the actual situation (the threat to others, my actual recklessness, not just what the book says).
Sure wish the MOTORCYCLE cop that got me for 53 in a 40 the other day would have taken that into account. Sunny, dry, minimal traffic, apparently I was a huge danger to cagers.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:18 AM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I get pulled over on average about twice per year. In recent years I've ridden away without a ticket more times than I've been written up.

I think partly 'cause I treat them with respect. I don't give them any **** and I don't act nervous and suck up to them either.

Partly 'cause I live in a big city where there is serious **** going down every day and cops have better things to do than get **** about a decent citizen committing an infraction or two.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I have to date gotten three tickets while on a bike... All where very, very, very justified and earned... I have been stopped on about an average 2-3 times a year... And I have been riding for 12 years...

One of those tickets doesn't list the actual speed (very rare here in Sweden) as I outran the car chasing me, without knowing someone was chasing me... I got pulled over some 350 miles down the road... They had a chopper trailing me and his comment was "Damn boy... you move fast...I almost couldn't keep up..."

Do I need to add that I took the pedal operated bike to work for a couple of months?
Old 05-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
At the time I cursed him under my breath but years later I realize he cut me a huge break. Especially for an 18 year old kid on a new crotch rocket.

Several months after I got my first bike, a brand new 1986 Interceptor 500, I was at that cocky stage where I thought I could handle anything.

One morning I decided to "play" as it was early on a Sunday with no traffic in sight....or so I thought. About 4 miles from home, I gunned it. Approaching 230km I finally decided to back off as my thought started to wander more on the concern side than the fun side. Suddenly, seeing the flashing lights in my mirror, I pulled over and waited for what seemed like an eternity for the cop to catch up. He walked up to me with a big grin on his face and said…..

“I could take your bike or I could arrest you. I could give you a ticket or I could just lecture you for the next ½ hour but I don’t think you would truly learn from any of that. So……the good news is you are going to get off with a warning and we are taking your bike straight home. The bad news is you are going to push your bike up and pull it down every hill the entire way”. Then he said……

Just to make sure I am going to follow you the entire way with my lights on so everyone will look at the dumbass pushing his new shiny bike in front of the police.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 AM
RK1
MotoGP

Another thing;

Middle aged cops who've seen it all are more likely to be cool, be relaxed and give you a break. 20 year old Dudley Do Rights straight out of the academy will likely write you up and preach at you for a few minutes.

Young motorcycle cops are the worst. Their primary function is not law enforcement, it's revenue enhancement. If you let them they'll hang around for 15 or twenty minutes to talk about bikes and firearms but they won't pass on the citation.

I'll talk to them anyhow. I figure I've saved another poor bastard or two a ticket.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Grizz, that's hilarious. Obviously made an impression on you, too.

RK1, you nailed it. A friend of mine who used to be a waitress told me she was waiting on some cops one time, and one let slip that he was a motorcycle cop. It was one of those "sassy" restaurants so she was giving him all kinds of **** and he asked why she was picking on him. She told him it's because he was a motorcycle cop and he'd give a ticket to his own mother, much to the amusement, and agreement, of the other cops at the table.

I'm having a hard time not inverting this topic.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Back Marker

DocPigskin17 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Condor
I am the cool cop.
Give it up for Condor
Old 05-17-2009, 07:16 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I am the cool cop.
That you are "a" cool cop I have no doubt. But sitting under a billboard with Rin Tin Tin and and an ArmaLite waiting for speeders?
Old 05-17-2009, 08:40 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
I've said it before and Ill say it again.... I dont write traffic tickets unless you are just totally out of control and an obvious danger. I never have. Most of the time I drive/ride like a ********, so if I give tickets to people for doing the same stuff I do, it just makes me a hypocrite. But I really havent been in a position to be a traffic ticket writer for some time, as that is not my area of expertise or interest.

I would venture to guess 90% of cops drive mach 4 on or off duty, and i like to remind the ticket happy ones of that fact, and challenge them on their hypocrisy. Traffic ***** are the worst, and theres plenty of other better **** to be done. Most traffic ***** seem to me, from an internal perspective, to be cowards or lazy. Its an easy stat and you can hide behind and justify your actions with "safety". Some people dig it, but I never have.

As I sometimes speak with the younger patrol officers (and most respect the position I am in), I remind them to be proactive, but not to be a Radar Ranger, because being a Radar Ranger is weak and it doesnt make you a cop, it makes you lazy. Go work dope in the hood, and hammer the gangbangers and **** stains, and leave the working people alone.

Just my .02

EDIT: I am, however, all for writing noise ordinance tickets to those turds that play that damn BOOM BOOM BOOM rap music I can hear a mile down the road. Write the **** out of them. Nobody wants to hear your song. Nobody cares of you like Dr. Dre. Turn it down.

Last edited by Condor; 05-17-2009 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:22 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I've had several cops cut me a break on 4 wheels, but I can only think of one while riding.

I was coming home from work on the freeway at 10:30 PM about 20 years ago, when the National Speed Limit was 55 mph, riding my 86 CB700SC Nighthawk. I'm going at least 70, which is a guaranteed ticket, when a CHP comes up on my right. I look over and go "Oh S#@%". He looks at me and gives me the palm down "slow down" sign. I give a wave and slow immediately to 55 mph. He rolls on down the freeway. WHEW!
Old 05-17-2009, 09:29 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
EDIT: I am, however, all for writing noise ordinance tickets to those turds that play that damn BOOM BOOM BOOM rap music I can hear a mile down the road. Write the **** out of them. Nobody wants to hear your song. Nobody cares of you like Dr. Dre. Turn it down.
When one of those brainless turds is near me at a stop light, I just pray that a cop is nearby, but it never happens. We have a 50 foot law here in California.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:08 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
I have been watching to see what others have posted, and I think that its now time for bragging. I would say that I have only had one dick cop pull me over, and I got a seat belt violation. As for catching a break... I have been pulled over in cage for speeding almost 10 times with no less than 15 over as a violation. My best was 30+ and I even had a 50 in a 25. I have never received a ticket for speeding, only a written warning. I have actually lost count of the times, but remember hitting 8. The one time I got pulled over the cop was coming from the other direction (30+ over) and I pulled over before he could turn around. He had to drive past me to turn and get behind me. We talked about his nephew working in my hometown and other BS, and he let me go with no warnings or tickets.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:52 PM
RK1
MotoGP

I've said it before and Ill say it again.... I dont write traffic tickets unless you are just totally out of control and an obvious danger. I never have. Most of the time I drive/ride like a ********, so if I give tickets to people for doing the same stuff I do, it just makes me a hypocrite. But I really havent been in a position to be a traffic ticket writer for some time, as that is not my area of expertise or interest.

I would venture to guess 90% of cops drive mach 4 on or off duty, and i like to remind the ticket happy ones of that fact, and challenge them on their hypocrisy. Traffic ***** are the worst, and theres plenty of other better **** to be done. Most traffic ***** seem to me, from an internal perspective, to be cowards or lazy. Its an easy stat and you can hide behind and justify your actions with "safety". Some people dig it, but I never have.

As I sometimes speak with the younger patrol officers (and most respect the position I am in), I remind them to be proactive, but not to be a Radar Ranger, because being a Radar Ranger is weak and it doesnt make you a cop, it makes you lazy. Go work dope in the hood, and hammer the gangbangers and **** stains, and leave the working people alone.

Just my .02

Worth more than two cents I think. And in case anybody didn't get it I was laughing at the idea of you being the guy running the speed trap.

I hate that "look at me and my 400 watts of noise" ****. Around here it's less rap and more of that stuff sounds like polka except it's in Spanish. In the middle the guy goes Aye ay ya ya ya ya etc. in a high pitched voice. Sounds like a little dog just got hit by a car.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:42 AM
guru of things sparky
SuperSport

Circuit_Burner is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
I hate that "look at me and my 400 watts of noise" ****. Around here it's less rap and more of that stuff sounds like polka except it's in Spanish. In the middle the guy goes Aye ay ya ya ya ya etc. in a high pitched voice. Sounds like a little dog just got hit by a car.
Around here I get a lot of that.
For what I can tell, it sounds like a circus comming down my steet.
Its like two bass notes only. Buh- Bum Buh- BUm bUh- bUm
So then I run to the door to see if the clowns and elephants are outside, and can then hear that other dreaded circus instrument of torture, accordions.
accordions dont produce the long range carrier transmissions of bass sounds thankfully, but they grate on my nerves like a dremel.

Last edited by Circuit_Burner; 05-18-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:15 AM
Superstock

pigwings
co

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Still waiting to meet that cop. Best case, I get a ticket, worst case, I get a ******** lecturing me for 15 over and a ticket.

right - and your attitude has nothing to do with it.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:55 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up I (heart) Condor!

... Go work dope in the hood, and hammer the gangbangers and **** stains, and leave the working people alone...
I wish we could elect where to send the money for our tickets; like for the guys who are REALLY promoting safety in our community. Like uprated body armor or weapons for the narcotics squad, etc. Maybe we could convince them that we'll send a contribution to Condor's slush fund?
Old 05-18-2009, 08:54 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Getting pulled over driving various hod rods and bikes as young kid I often got let go as the cops admired the rides and the respect I gave them. This was in Fremont CA with one of the highest police count per captia in the nation so we got pulled over OFTEN. I found that if I just kept my cool and was conversational, but not a kiss ***, I got let go MOST of the time. There were a few dicks though. A certain officer Lamb comes to mind!
Old 05-18-2009, 11:16 AM
KANKS!
Squid

RIHDER34 is on a distinguished road
I think the best thing to do with cops is be polite, yes sir no sir etc... And honesty goes a long way. (Coming from a kid who doesn't really have the ***** to run). I've noticed that some of the coolest cops i have ever met where up in bumblef**% here in bucks county, PA. But when it comes to jerks the infamous Jersey State troopers are the worst.

Quick Reply: Ever get the cool cop?