General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Early X-mas for me and my Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:47 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
Early X-mas for me and my Superhawk

Since I've had my Superhawk I decided that if I were to do an upgrade for the front suspension I would go all the way and do a full 1000RR swap, and I knew I wanted to find one complete with all the pieces, rather than hunt for each part and piece them together. I've been keeping my eye out for a cbr1000rr front end, ask and ye shall receive they say. This morning I saw a post on craigslist for someone parting out a 2007 CBR1000rr. Long story short, I just got back with my new front end.

This is the second piece to my Superhawk track bike build. A week or two ago I bought the engine-less 98 Superhawk from RepsolRacer, my plan at this time is to fit this 1krr front end to the frame i just bought, brace the rear swingarm with 900rr unit, get a good rear shock, add my moriwaki motor and call it a day....well maybe for a little while.

Old 12-23-2010, 10:00 PM
Squid

trident00 is on a distinguished road
Congrats man I just got done with my swapover not long ago. You might be happier with the 954/929 tripples. But the forks and the radial brakes are a huge improvement.

If you have any questions whether they have been posted before or not or I can help you in any way PM me.

Cheers, Walt
Old 12-24-2010, 05:07 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I'm totally green w/ envy!! how much did you spend? I'm dyin' to do that swap.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:01 AM
Squid

r80gsman is on a distinguished road
awesome, i may do the same. speaking of suspension. will a rc51 rear shock fit the SH. the body looks to be right but has the external res.

i assume the cbr is a dirrect bolt on. out of laziness is the spring rate on the cbr better stock than the SH. i was reading the specs on the SH and the front is way soft but the rear is closer to my weight (190). why did they set the bike up that way?
Old 12-24-2010, 06:09 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by 97Wolverine
I'm totally green w/ envy!! how much did you spend? I'm dyin' to do that swap.
I got a really good deal actually, I only paid $750 for everything. I couldn't believe it, I kinda felt like I robbed the guy. I never thought I'd be able to find something this new and this complete for that cheap...considering I also got the clip ons, all the control switches left and right, and the ignition with the key because the kid didn't have the tool to remove it!

trident00 - why do you say I might be happier with the 954/929 triples? As much as I have read about this swap(about %50 of what should be read before attempting) it seems like the only reason people use the 954 triple is to avoid trimming the lower fairing. Maybe there is a bigger reason that I missed, I'm sure it will be pointed out. I'm planning to run a different/custom fairing, most likely a race fairing for an RC-51, so i'm not worried about cutting it for clearance.

I feel like a little kid who got the lego set he wanted. I find myself pushing the front end around playing with the brakes, bouncing on the forks, I can't wait to start taking things apart and putting them back together, I will surely start a build thread when the work gets going.

Last edited by 98VTRrider; 12-24-2010 at 06:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-24-2010, 06:13 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by r80gsman
awesome, i may do the same. speaking of suspension. will a rc51 rear shock fit the SH. the body looks to be right but has the external res.

i assume the cbr is a dirrect bolt on. out of laziness is the spring rate on the cbr better stock than the SH. i was reading the specs on the SH and the front is way soft but the rear is closer to my weight (190). why did they set the bike up that way?
I'm not sure on the rear shock, maybe someone will chime in. I plan to look for a used Fox shock, or similar with external reservoir, or do the F4i mod that is popular.

The front end bolts on with the right bearings and a little modification for the steering stops. Not sure the spring rate, but what I read on here is that 04-06 1000RR is good for up to 180lbs, the 06-08 is good for a 180-200lb rider on the superhawk. I'm about 175lbs wet, so all suited up I'm probably closer to 200lbs.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Haha, I like that the cat in the pic is like WTF is this thing. Yeah, there is no reason you really can't use the 1000rr tripples. Most people don't like the upper tripple holes and my 954 lower hits my fairing anyway so either way it might hit. After doin the swap I would recommend changing the internals to something better or at least changing the long and soft top-out springs those have.

r80gsman: RC shock wont work on the SH, it has a completely different dogbone mount than the sh unless you made a custom mount. I think all fork swaps are a "direct bolt-on" with the right tripples. Im not gonna answer the spring rate questions, cuz it is just that, laziness lol.
Old 12-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Squid

trident00 is on a distinguished road
Like what was previously said, the 954/929 top tripple is cleaner looking. No extra holes etc. I didnt have to adjust my fairing with the 954 set up.

As for the RC51 shock. I do know it has a different spring rate as well as having a "female" lower mount as opposed to the "male" mount on the Superhawk shock. I don't know what the differences are as far as length etc. I would hazard a guess that once youve done all the modding, you would have been much better off price and performance wise to have gone with one of Jamie Daugherty's shocks. He can also set up the spring and valving specifically for you.

I believe the '08 fork differs from the '06-'07 Fork. I don't know what the hight and diameter diffferences are.

The steering bearing sets are interchangeable with the Superhawk. The 1000rr '06-'07 is the exact same part number as for the Superhawk. It seems these bearings were used for tons of Honda bikes. You probably have ball bearings in your Superhawk and those triples may just bolt right up. I took the time to replace the bearings with AllBalz roller bearings and am very happy with it.

Cheers
Old 12-24-2010, 05:23 PM
Squid

yamahadm250 is on a distinguished road
the forks on my 99 hawk were in bad need of service so i`m doing the same front end swap.i took mine apart last weekend and hopefully i`ll start putting it together in the next few days.i got a complete 2007 cbr1000 front end for 500.00.the only thing i need to buy is clip ons. i got all new steering and wheel bearings from allballs.