General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

DOWN !!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 05:39 PM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
DOWN !!

Yesterday, just makeing a quick run to the bank, neighbors dog came it me from the rear and cut in front of me. I was in the drive and it was mostly packed sand, some gravel. Washed out the front @ about 20MPH.
Joe Rocket jacket saved my elbow.....not my fairing or signal light and mirror. HIGHLY POed!!! Scraped up exhaust and engine case. F'n pooch!!
Wrenched my hand, sore today all over. Had this bike since new in 07. Been to San Diego, Seattle, England and Mississippi and a DOG wrecks me!! AAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! My black Hawk is now parked. Did I mention I'm POed !!!
Old 03-21-2012, 05:42 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Fish
Yesterday, just makeing a quick run to the bank, neighbors dog came it me from the rear and cut in front of me. I was in the drive and it was mostly packed sand, some gravel. Washed out the front @ about 20MPH.
Joe Rocket jacket saved my elbow.....not my fairing or signal light and mirror. HIGHLY POed!!! Scraped up exhaust and engine case. F'n pooch!!
Wrenched my hand, sore today all over. Had this bike since new in 07. Been to San Diego, Seattle, England and Mississippi and a DOG wrecks me!! AAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! My black Hawk is now parked. Did I mention I'm POed !!!
Don't hold back....let it all out...
Old 03-21-2012, 06:04 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Get the neighbor to cough up the repairs, they are responsible for their pets and any damage caused by them.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:09 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
your bike insurance should pay for this. I don't have comprehensive, but if I hit a deer, it's covered ala State Farm. Worth checking. Otherwise, I'd be after the owner of an unrestrained dog for the damages.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nath981
your bike insurance should pay for this. I don't have comprehensive, but if I hit a deer, it's covered ala State Farm. Worth checking. Otherwise, I'd be after the owner of an unrestrained dog for the damages.
Agreed!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:06 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
That sucks!

I hit a big black lab almost 30 years ago on Little Tujunga Road, a canyon road north of LA. Out in the middle of nowhere the dog comes at my buddy, riding in front, then the dog goes right in front of my bike. Bent my shift lever and left some fur on the end of the front axle, but I didn't go down. The dog was limping away as I checked my mirror. We pulled over a ways up the road, and I bent my shift lever back.

For sure the owner of the dog should be responsible.
+1 for the responsibility of the dog owner.

I had my share with pets and wild animals as well, I hit a dog in very similar way without crashing, but taking with me some fur about 20 years ago, the only difference is that was on the other side of the world in Thailand and I had a mob of locals chasing me for this.
Also hit Kangaroo mid air with a motocross in a forest south west of Sydney Australia and did crash with dislocated thumb on the left hand while riding solo 15 years ago, had to use my entire hand to press the clutch lever against the other hand just to get out of the forest. Oh yea, nothing happened to the Kangaroo, twist of the tail, landed on his feet and hoped away.
Few years back I had another very close call with a dear that was running my path coming out of a turn in Bear Mountain upstate NY, I came to a rolling endow unintentionally and I'm no stunt guy, but I did avoid the dear by an inch.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you are OK.

Please tell me you are getting the cost from the irresponsible dog owner.

I love dogs & used to breed them but man you should call the police and press charges. Not mean, just justice.

no different than if you rode your bike through their front door. You better believe they would make you pay.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:16 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
That sucks!

I hit a big black lab almost 30 years ago on Little Tujunga Road, a canyon road north of LA. Out in the middle of nowhere the dog comes at my buddy, riding in front, then the dog goes right in front of my bike. Bent my shift lever and left some fur on the end of the front axle, but I didn't go down. The dog was limping away as I checked my mirror. We pulled over a ways up the road, and I bent my shift lever back.

For sure the owner of the dog should be responsible.

"Hey Mister, you hit my dog!"...eh, probably not.

I lived in Sunland during that time period and rode Little and Big Tujunga a lot.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Back Marker

That's for all the input. I did talk to a lawyer and he said it's there responsibilty to pay for damages, either out of pocket or home owners insurance. Not out for a big settlement here, just want my bike fixed.

Anyone used Plastex or another plastic fix setup? Just for the time being until I see if they are going to help out.

Fish.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:14 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
Try the fiber repair kit from Auto Zone or similar, works well!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:17 PM
MotoGP

What is the damage. Put up some pics.

Here is my sv that I bought wrecked. I got pretty good at plastic welding (abs is a thermoplastic so can be made molten like steel then cooled)

I did the whole thing with a repurposed soldering iron and some abs rod from mcmaster-carr. (so cheap)
Attached Thumbnails DOWN !!-absrepairsv10.09-020.jpg   DOWN !!-ginavisit10.25.09-048.jpg   DOWN !!-absrepairsv10.09-002.jpg   DOWN !!-sv-full-fairing-003.jpg   DOWN !!-absrepairsv10.09-021.jpg  

Old 03-25-2012, 02:46 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by aja
Get the neighbor to cough up the repairs, they are responsible for their pets and any damage caused by them.
Come on... really? If he hit the dog is he financially responsible for the owners pain and suffering? Give me a break. The ability to "pass the buck" in the country is astounding. **** happens, that's why we have insurance. No offense to the OP, but you could just as easily say if he was doing 15mph instead of 20mph he wouldn't of gone down. It's kinda like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBTGg...MmFVXlwK0fC4u8= where the majority of the comments blame the CHP for the rider going down... who was riding the bike anyway?

Last edited by inderocker; 03-25-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:58 PM
MotoGP

Not to sound heartless but, I say next time... hit the dog.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:12 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
UK laws

A dog (as well as a goat, horse, cattle, ***, mule, sheep and pig) does come within the remit of the Road Traffic Act and is a reportable accident so you are required by law to report it to the police.

Splatter a moggie > contact the local council in order for them to clear away the remains.

Australian sheep hits motorcycle thread

crashed into a sheep! farmer liablity?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:36 PM
MotoGP

Yes 100% the dog owner is responsible. If that dog bit a child what do you think the parents would do? Call their own insurance co?

Same deal. Owning a dog is a liability. Collect the money. I would always call law enforcement immediately just to get a legal reprt.

The law has very little "**** happens" in it. Or more specificly, when it does, someone is liable.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:16 PM
MotoGP

Really? A dog biting a child is a completely different scenario... that dog directly caused harm to a child. There's no way to prove this dog was the direct cause of the accident. The dog didn't hit him....he crashed because of a maneuver he made to avoid hitting the dog. If somebody is backing out of a parking space and instead of maneuvering out of the way you panic and grab a handful of front brake and crash then I suppose it's the other guys fault? I'm not saying the owner shouldn't of had his/her dog secured to their own property, that alone may or prevented this accident, but holding them responsible isn't going to pan out. I guess if Honda didn't build the bike in the first place no one would of got hurt.

...but then again, America is a lawyers paradise.

Last edited by inderocker; 03-25-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Back Marker

"I'm not saying the owner shouldn't of had his/her dog secured to their own property, that alone may or prevented this accident, but holding them responsible isn't going to pan out. I guess if Honda didn't build the bike in the first place no one would of got hurt. "

If the ower of the dog would have had it under control, is accident would not have happened. Period.
Every state, county, and city have their own laws for control of animals. By my city laws, the ower of the dog is responsible for any and all damages it caused.
My Aunt and Uncle hit a cow at highway speed. The farmer paid up.

I just hope none of you never have to go though this.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:26 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by inderocker
.....I'm not saying the owner shouldn't of had his/her dog secured to their own property, that alone may or prevented this accident, but holding them responsible isn't going to pan out. I guess if Honda didn't build the bike in the first place no one would of got hurt.
...but then again, America is a lawyers paradise.
Simple cause and effect. IF the owners had properly secured their dog we wouldn't be having this conversation.

America is a lawyer's paradise to a great extent, because people refuse to man up to their responsibilities. For the sake of argument, say Fish absolutely splattered the dog when it ran out in the street because it wasn't properly fenced in or restrained, would Fish be responsible for the vet bill? No, because his owners did not exercise due dilligence by insuring the dog did not go into the street. Now, say even despite his best efforts to the contrary, he creamed the dog and ended up bouncing off the curb in a futile attempt to save the stupid pooch's life would Fish still be responsible for the vet bills? Again, no because of the same scenario as before.

In both cases the owner of the dog who failed to restrain or otherwise prevent his property from damaging or causing another's property to be damaged is culpable and liable for all damages caused by his animal.

Last edited by RWhisen; 03-25-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:15 PM
MotoGP

Yeah, the only way I could have avoided hitting that black lab would have been to veer right and go into a ditch. No way I was doing that. When in doubt, gas it.

That's what I'm talking about! I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but riding a motorcycle is much more than having the ability to pilot it in a forward motion. You have to be able to make the correct split second decisions that will save your bike if not your life in some cases.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:26 PM
MotoGP

Bottom line... I would be amazed if the owner of the dog loses in small claims court.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Dog

If a collision is unavoidable would it be better to gas it and try go over the anumal or hit the brakes and go down for sure? I was keeled over in a left hand sweeper one night and something furry exploded on my left foot leaving me very sore and very very stinky but the shock of impact was dissipated by the "perp" and not me and that's a good thing. The species was unidentifiable. So, hit or brake--what to do?
Old 04-08-2012, 12:22 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by zxbud
If a collision is unavoidable would it be better to gas it and try go over the anumal or hit the brakes and go down for sure? I was keeled over in a left hand sweeper one night and something furry exploded on my left foot leaving me very sore and very very stinky but the shock of impact was dissipated by the "perp" and not me and that's a good thing. The species was unidentifiable. So, hit or brake--what to do?
who are you bullshittin? there ain't no sweepers in fla... haha

If something furry exploded on your left foot, you didn't see in time to brake anyway.

if you utilize trailbraking and can quickly increase brake pressure in measured amts, it is usually wise to reduce speed as much as safe short of crashing or getting hit from behind, that is, to reduce speed of impact. That said, it is not worth crashing to avoid something that may not put you down anyway. There are no guarantees, just probabilities based on best outcomes.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 PM
MotoGP

nath, are you going to lecture us on the benefits of trail braking again?

Or are you too busy measuring the width of your tire tread?
haha. you and your buddy hawk like to bust my ***** don't ya! Just bought a subscription to faster/safer.com. Read boy and you just might learn somethin.

As far as the width of my back tire, try a 190 Q2 on a 5.5" rim and then criticize with some credibility. Opinions are like ********, everybody's got one. If you haven't tried it, at least enlist the discipline to stifle yourself until you do.

happy easter!!!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Back Marker

20_rc51_00 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
That's what I'm talking about! I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but riding a motorcycle is much more than having the ability to pilot it in a forward motion. You have to be able to make the correct split second decisions that will save your bike if not your life in some cases.
somebody is on a pedestal....
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM
Back Marker

Bike still not on the road.........No offer to help from owner and cash strapped.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:49 PM
SuperBike

Did you file a suit in small claims court? You seriously don't expect them to wander over and hand you a chunk of change do you?
Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM
MotoGP

I stand by my original advice. Call police and file claim. Then court. Their dog IS their legal responsibility. But yeah, no one ever does the right thing on their own. Otherwise we wouldnt need laws at all.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Squid

JakeT is on a distinguished road
Might be too late to file a police report. Sounds fish when 9 monthes later someone wants to file a complaint about something. My experience with the law and court not that I am an expert is nothing will come of this especially after 90 days. But I hope for the bikes sake and fish's that I am wrong.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Fish
Bike still not on the road.........No offer to help from owner and cash strapped.
Had a dentist for several years after our family dentist retired. It was just long enough for him to assure the destruction of all my molars on the bottom. Should have sued that MaFuk'r right off, but by the time I figured that out, it was too late. Now i pay for his ****-up, get it.

Time-wise, the same will apply to your situation if it hasn't already. WTH have you been doin for 9 mos?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Back Marker

" WTH have you been doin for 9 mos?"
Driving my truck to and from work. Collage. Paying bills. Working on the house. Spending time with my wife and 5 grand kids........thanks for asking.

Quick Reply: DOWN !!