General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Do you listen to tunes when you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 07:12 PM
Back Marker

little squirt is on a distinguished road
Do you listen to tunes when you ride?

how many of you use an Ipod or something when you ride? If you do, do you use ear bud headphones or speakers mounted inside helmet?
Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
Not usually. I tried it for a while on a long trip, and even though I liked it (especially on those long, boring straights), I got tired of dealing with it. I know, 'what's there to deal with?' But riding full gear, and wearing some electrics, every little bit starts to take away from just riding. IMO
Old 05-18-2009, 07:33 PM
Squided
Back Marker

john3012 is on a distinguished road
Being able to hear traffic can save your life. I do enjoy the tunes when I borrow my friends Electra-Glide. Headphones in traffic is not for me.
On a funny note, I almost soiled myself on his Electra-Glide when I was coming to a stop and the radio had a tire skidding sound effect playing. I was freaking out trying to see if I was about to get rear ended or something.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:44 PM
ff
Banned
Back Marker

ff is an unknown quantity at this point
ipod man! i use these(one in the left ear and ear plug in the other): [url]

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_US/DisplayProductDetailsPage/productID.105432500

that model is a little pricey but you can find good deals on ebay and such..
the cheaper models are good too.

Last edited by ff; 05-18-2009 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:59 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
I tried using an ipod once and I didn't like it at all. Not being able to hear whats going on around me made me very uncomfortable. Besides, the shortened Jardines are all the music I need.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:04 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I use a MP3 player on longer rides (Zen Sleek Photo fwiw) but short rides I don't bother.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
there is a new tank bag out u can plug any mp3 player in, retail 169.95 "ipod not included" marine grade speacker, very slick, not bulky, plenty of room, magnetic or strap on, " i wouldn't dare leave on a bike", and i tested it out on hawk when had D&D slip ons "loudest crap ever that i hate " and could here under 7000rpm fairly well, i j/ took exhaust off and put 2 brothers high mount on, i like ipod on trips, especially in mountains, i always listen 2 country, except in mountains borrow some rap 2 put me in the mood, dont care if not safe, i have rf-1000 shoei, full leathers, gloves, workin on gettin good boots, prob is i 5'8 and love workin out, have huge cafe and cant get ne boot i ve found 2 zip up, o i were a size 9 US EE
Old 05-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
I don't want the extra distraction of focusing on my music. Also my highway commute is just too loud, I'd make my ears bleed if I had the music up loud enough to be heard over the wind noise.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:08 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
I use an mp3 player on my very infrequent long trips and absolutely love it. For around town it's not worth the hassle to me (on a bike) even though I don't even get in my car without it.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
i agree with killer5280, guess its personal preference, i d go crazy hearing them d&d's on long trip, i dont wanna ride more than 4 hours, mp3 player has 3000 songs, i push play stick it in tail bag or tank bag and dont worry bout it till done, i ride 2 avoid talkin 2 other ppl
Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll use my ipod on most long highway rides, but never on short rides. I use an "in helmet" speaker system. I never use ear buds as I think it blocks out everything else... like cars honking or skidding toward you.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by john3012
Being able to hear traffic can save your life. I do enjoy the tunes when I borrow my friends Electra-Glide. Headphones in traffic is not for me.
On a funny note, I almost soiled myself on his Electra-Glide when I was coming to a stop and the radio had a tire skidding sound effect playing. I was freaking out trying to see if I was about to get rear ended or something.
Those radio commercials should not be allowed. The sound effects are disturbing enough in a cage, I can't imagine being on a bike and hearing that.

I don't listen to anything except the music in my head while riding. My favorite to have running through my head while riding is "It's a Small World".
Old 05-18-2009, 09:49 PM
SuperSport

yruyur is on a distinguished road
Long rides only, when I get into town I can easily turn down the volume on my iPhone while it's in my pocket. I do like to be able to hear traffic in town. Inderocker what in helmet setup do you use
Old 05-18-2009, 10:13 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 05-19-2009, 03:38 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I have in helmet speakers. Got them at www.aerostich.com They velcro in. Two different models. I have the $17 set. Work well with an iPod or iPhone. Been using my stock iPhone buds lately. They not as comfortable, but you can click the little button on them to start and stop the music.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:32 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I use ear buds with my Ipod on long rides, but as soon as I need more focus(lots of twisties) I turn it off. Gotta hear the music the SH plays. I normally wear ear plugs anyway. It just takes the edge off the wind noise and I don't yell when I get off the bike to have a conversation with someone.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:21 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i have in helmet speakers... but they are for my radar detector.

tim
Old 05-19-2009, 06:30 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
I listen to music all the time. Ten minutes to and from work.. I still use my MP3 player. I have headphone speakes in my helmet. It has these two little "pockets" for them. No earbuds, they dont let in the surrounding noises.. I can still hear the cars and such around me, and the tunes, also.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Back Marker

REDVTR1000 is on a distinguished road
I use two externally mounted sound generation devices pointed rearward and mounted by the back tire. Best part is if i get bored listening to the current song i can change the channel with a twist grip modulator in my right hand. My favorite tune is the 4000-7000rpm Symphony in C. Classic, yet soothing.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
NO
Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
I do on longer rides, not usually on the commute to work. I've tried those helmet speakers and they hurt my ears after a while. They fill the ear hole in your helmet a little, allowing less room and end up pressing your ear in. Fatigue set in pretty quick. Now I use buds. Ear plugs are recommended to prevent hearing loss and the buds fit and feel much the same. I do keep the volume low enough to hear any sirens/horns.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:00 AM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
most of time, depending on the length of the ride.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:06 AM
Wearing the Vtwin grin!
Squid

Bikephreak is on a distinguished road
Music is distracting and takes away from the ride. Part of the reason that I ride is for the Zen-like experience of total concentration and solitude.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Back Marker

Stixx is on a distinguished road
xm radio running through starcom 1 to helmet speakers. got tired of having to charge mp3 player.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Bikephreak
Music is distracting and takes away from the ride. Part of the reason that I ride is for the Zen-like experience of total concentration and solitude.
Well said +1
Old 05-19-2009, 07:12 PM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
I do on long rides out in the country, but heading tward the city or the burbs they're just too many dumb @ss's that don't pay attention to bikes. I need to be able to hear them.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:01 PM
Squid

Crawdaddy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by divingindaytona
Well said +1
+2

It's a safety issue.....I don't want to lose focus on my surroundings or get so into the tunes that I become distracted or overly relaxed......

I DO ride with a 5 watt ham radio/communications set up so I can interface with my riding partners....again, it's a safety thing........we're all so used to riding with comm gear off-road to warn each other about trail conditions, on-coming traffic, etc. out on the trails that it's a natural carry over to road riding.....

I highly recommend radios/comm gear to everyone.....I used to use Chatterboxes on the road bikes and they were adequate but the mic was useless at speed so you could only communicate below ~40mph.......the Baja Designs Systems are geared towards off-road racing so you can clearly undertand someone, or speak to someone, at ~80mph flying through dirt whoops....or on your road bike

This is my set-up for dirt/street:

Comm set-up: https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/P-65...t+Radio+System

Radio:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5241

You can find cheaper headsets/radios, but you'll only use'em once.......you really need to buy quality gear if you want to be able to communicate at speed......at least that's been my experience and I've been riding for ~30+ years
Old 05-20-2009, 03:13 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Cardo Scala with speakers mounted in helmet. I usually just listen to FM radio, but try to avoid it while riding in town. On long rides, with no reception I can plug my phone into it, but the volume sucks for the aux input.

On the long rides, if I use earplugs, the music sounds as clear as if I was sitting in my living room. Also works pretty good for communicating, even at highway speeds. I want to protect my hearing with earplugs, but I fear it puts the rest of me at risk when I can't hear anything around me.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 05-20-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:36 PM
Back Marker

little squirt is on a distinguished road
yea i was going to pick up a little ipod nano just so i have something to listen too wether its on a bike or a long a$$ plane ride back to the mainland. guess i could just put speakers in the helmet and have a set of earbuds for other occasions, thanks for your imput guys
Old 05-20-2009, 06:26 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
Wink

Speakin fo miself, don't want nothin to do with that. Don't get me wrong, luv music in my cars, but my attitude about bikes and skiing is the same. The beauty of the experience is the release that comes with the total focus that comes with riding or skiing well. The music would distract from the beauty of the experience, not to mention compromise your awareness of what else is going on around you. I should add I don't do interstates and avoid straight roads like the plague.

Ommm................

Quick Reply: Do you listen to tunes when you ride?