General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Disc Lock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:40 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Disc Lock?

I am going to buy a disc lock and have noticed they are generally in three sizes. 5.5mm, 8mm, and 10mm.

What is the best size to get for our bikes?
Old 09-08-2009, 04:33 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I've got a Kryptonite "New York" disc lock. "U" shaft is 14 mm. Thicker is better.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:21 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

I was looking at the OnGuard Boxer Disc Lock like this: $41

But for $68 I could get a full alarm system from NewEnough: (Chatterbox 2002 Alarm)

Does anyone have experience with this company and their products?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:32 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
ive got a disc lock on mine, it really only stops thieves from rolling the bike away like the steering lock. an alarm is your best bet if you wanna get noticed
Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
...or you could get both. Xena makes fancy disc locks with built in alarms. High dollar stuff, but they've worked great for me for years.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:55 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
I've found out the hard way that alarms don't slow thieves down much. If you get an alarm, I'd recommend one with a isolated battery.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:22 AM
SuperBike

yup ive seen the disc locks with alarms, they dont seem that expensive, ones ive seen anyways. i just tend to not leave my bikes places where i cant see it. i wont bring it to the mall for example because i know people are dicks and like to touch and sit on bikes. god help anyone i ever catch sitting on my bike thats all i gotta say. when you keep it at home keep it in the garage, mines locked up in the garage and ive got it tied up through the frame with an anchor running into my floor. so they either have to cut through a solid piece of steel cable or rip out the anchor, good luck to both. plus my garage and work shop are both alarmed. in the end if someone wants it theyre gonna take it, but the idea is just to make it as hard as posslble for them. i do hope one day to catch a thief trying to steel something i have so that i can kick their skull in.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:22 AM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

I have seen the alarmed disc locks and was thinking about those also. The price on this alarm system is pretty good so it perked my attention.

I wish I could have a garage but I live in an apt complex. I have not seen anything that leads me to believe the cars or bikes in this complex have problems with people breaking in or stealing anything but it would be nice to have something to catch my attention at night when I am asleep if anyone tries anything. I have it covered but now I want an additional measure.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 AM
SuperBike

if i were you id try to get a spot thats right by something you can chain the bike to. and if you get an alarm get a pager alarm so itll send you a signal. ive got a viper pager alarm in my truck has a 1 mile range, works in the mall in friends apartments and everything, its fantastic. and when you do install the alarm make it hard to at. under the gas tank somewhere. hide all the wiring inside the sleeves with the other wires. stuff like that. make it hard to get at