General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Damn! Another Hawk Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:40 AM
Squid

markm70 is on a distinguished road
Damn! Another Hawk Down

I was riding with a couple of rookies I've been training, one was riding very well and the other is still slow. These boys are just like kids of my own. Concerened about the slower one, lost track of the other one, went to turn left onto a turn off, slowed down put on signal and then I hear him scream my name and WHAM! T-boned and down I went.

Good news! Nobody was hurt! I have a couple of sore spots, a quarter spot of rash on my knee, nothing bad. The other rider had some minor rash. We both had our gear on, my helmets trashed, did its job.

Both bikes can be repaired, it'll all be okay.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
that blows. Good to hear everyone is ok.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Squid
Squid

Dnagmour is on a distinguished road
That sucks man. Everybody is OK though - thats what's important.
Old 06-18-2009, 08:36 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
man, that sux. i can commiserate. harley sportster 883 moving up from a 250 Rebel, lol! Is trying to communicate needs fuel (me on a '90 ZX-7). Runs me off into a 2 foot ditch... ankle scraped to hell and gone and torn up under fairing... but stayed upright... Moral of the story?

Ride with some badass good boots and ATGATT!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:33 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
concider yourself lucky... i was hit by a fellow rider and put me to the ground with my bike landing on my foot ( wearing my alpinestar smx boots ) ! 9 months later i'm still in pain from having my foot fused back together w/ bone grafts, screws & plate.

tim
Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Ouch! I have come close to having similar incidents lately. Mostly my fault. Humbling. I am working on paying better attention to what is going on around me.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Squid

justscoutin is on a distinguished road
thats one thing I hate about the stock mirrors, lose track of other bikes real easily.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:53 PM
Back Marker

Liquidogged is on a distinguished road
Glad you're ok!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:57 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
The rule for the rider that is following is...If you can't see the faceshield of the rider in front of you in his mirror, he can't see you. Don't ride in your buddy's blind spot.

Glad everyone is okay.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:33 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
That's why I always keep a safe distance between me and the bike I'm following. People check up, I check up, stay off my *** cause I'm gonna be pissed when you knock me off.

I got hit by another rider last January. 5 bikes had turned left in front of me, I signaled, hand signal up, turned in, and immediately heard sliding tires as he T-boned me. He somehow blew by my best friend who was behind me and slowing down to turn. Idiot...and he's a cop. Luckily my A*'s SMX R's did the job and my foot was a little sore. His Tim's left him with a broken ankle/foot. ATGATT moron. Lucky he didn't scrape his Fox jersey off as well.

6 months prior to that my friend hit me at a stop sign. I stopped, then had to pull up to see around the blind bend in the road, he thought I went, and had no intentions of stopping at the sign. Took out my pipe with his radiator, the peg my foot was on (boots did the trick again), and put a knuckle in my gas tank, and I fell over. We're still good friends though, he learned his lesson.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:34 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
If you can't see the faceshield of the rider in front of you in his mirror, he can't see you.
Bingo!
Old 06-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Squid

Thanks for all the replies, I have talked with my young rider about following too close and he'll do well. We will both have our bikes back on the road in a week or two.

Thnaks again....Mark
Old 06-19-2009, 08:23 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Good to hear everyone's ok.

I thought the most experienced riders were supposed to ride in the back? I don't even usually consider myself that but I like riding in the rear of a pack because, well, I don't like riding in packs and unless they're close friends I don't really trust other people and prefer everyone else where I can see them.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
And for heaven's sake guys, for those of you who don't already wear it, dont be cheap and get some good gear. And that includes more than just from your waist up. Protect your feet, ankles, knees, hips, etc. Take if from someone who knows. Your skills alone may not always be enough and you can always at least put a little more in your favor to help you walk away when someone else does something stupid.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:04 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Good to hear everyone's ok.

I thought the most experienced riders were supposed to ride in the back? I don't even usually consider myself that but I like riding in the rear of a pack because, well, I don't like riding in packs and unless they're close friends I don't really trust other people and prefer everyone else where I can see them.
Yes, I had been riding in the back to watch their progress. Each was doing well at his limit and i took the lead to show them the way on a route they hadn't been on. After we got back to a familiar road I would have fallen to the back again. Just didn't get that far.

Parts are on the way, bike should be back on the road in a week or two.

Mark
Old 06-20-2009, 10:03 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
So the OBVIOUS moral to this story is that when riding with other bikes, they seem to go off the radar as a HUGE threat to safety. You see everything but them. If I had a nickel for each of these stories. You have to communicate to each other EVERY RIDE to stay aware of the danger. So many racers survive a big dice session in a race at 11/10ths pace but crash on the cool down lap due to lapse in focus. Wasn't it Floyd who said it "a momentary lapse of reason"? OH yeah, you were training them? I hope they learned something that day.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:53 AM
I don't need any Meds
Superstock

5150 is on a distinguished road
glad all is well. that is really cool of you to take some riders under your wing, and even keep at it with them after they ran you over.

What kind of new helmet are you getting?
Old 06-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Squid

I wouldn't normally take the resposibility of training new riders but the two of these are like sons to me. They grew up with my son and have been hanging out here for a long time, even after my son joined the USAF and moved away. We can't wait to get the bike fixed and I'll only ride with one at a time for a while, until they have some more experience.

5150 I'll probably buy another HJC helmet, but I'll try on some others as well. It's nice having Iron Pony Superstore 45mins down the road.