General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

D&D slip-ons rejeting needed?

Old 06-24-2009, 11:54 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
D&D slip-ons rejeting needed?

I sincerely apologize for this thread, But just when you need info you can't find it.
I've tried searching but it keeps pulling up relevant stuff.

So I found on craigs list local to me a set of D&D slip ons in good condition.
Even though I would really love to retrofit Tri-Oval Yoshimura cans from GSXR100 these are so cheap I can't pass it up.
So I want to know if you guys can tell me how loud they are. By no means do I want to set off car alarms but I want just a bit more sound than my 3 hole in stock can job.
I've seen many of you say that slip-ons require rejeting, but will I be able to get away with a needle shim?
Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
The D&D pipes are louder than most, but look at it this way, its additional insurance that the cagers will hear you before they see you.

Your air/fuel ratio will be off adding the slip-ons, but jet kits are relatively inexpensive and will increase overall performance of your bike. I have and recommend the Factory Pro jet kit as this kit does not require drilling the carb slides like the DynoJet kit requires.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
i had D&D's with a K&N air filter and some other mild mods and it was LOUD. if i aimed just right i could set car alarms off. just idling in the driveway it wasnt so much loud as this deep thump that i could still feel when i was in my living room.

now the good part was that it didnt really get any louder as the revs increased, just a faster deep thump, and as a comparison it is in NO WAY as loud as the guys cruising around on open pipe running waay to rich harley.

if you dont change anything other then the slip ons you can prolly get away with not doing a full rejet.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:10 PM
SuperSport

mboe794 is on a distinguished road
In most cases it seems that just a needle shim will do the trick. Every bike is not identicle though. The only way to know for sure is to try it out and see what works. But if you're planning on shimming the needles anyway a full rejet isn't a whole lot more more work.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Back Marker

Well, can't be worse than HD i suppose.

I haven't dove too deep in to this bike yet and can't recal from when i did CCTs how hard would it be to pull the carbs off this chicken?

Last edited by malahhaor; 06-24-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM
SuperSport

reaper is on a distinguished road
Read this thread for some needle shim and a/f adjustment, https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=19108.

When you pull the carbs off be very careful to unscrew the choke needles as the assembly is plastic and will break very easily if one is not careful. The replacement kit costs approximately $22 if you do break it. Remember, there are two to remove.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:25 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Kendrick is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by malahhaor
Well, can't be worse than HD i suppose.

I haven't dove too deep in to this bike yet and can't recal from when i did CCTs how hard would it be to pull the carbs off this chicken?
Pulling the carbs off is no problem. For me it was getting them back on that sucked. I used to have D&D's and would definitely recomend rejetting.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Kendrick
Pulling the carbs off is no problem. For me it was getting them back on that sucked. I used to have D&D's and would definitely recomend rejetting.
Stock air filter or K&N? Any other mods?

Mine is all stock and i really don't care to make it much faster. All i want is a nice sound.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:37 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Stock air filter or K&N? Any other mods?

Mine is all stock and i really don't care to make it much faster. All i want is a nice sound.
I ran the stock. It just had too much air to keep up with with the K&N. I've got a Dynojet and I'm using 190 and 185 if I recall. If you search around here you'll find that I wasn't the only one that had trouble tuning for a K&N and the only real benefit is that it's reusable.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:52 AM
Back Marker

so it turns out that this is the same guy i got the bike from, bastard took the D&Ds off when he sold it to me.
Picking them up this saturday for 250!!! pic looks good, he asured me there are no scratches or dings, so we'll see.
wish me luck.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Greenmeansgo!
Back Marker

Reason is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by Kendrick
...you'll find that I wasn't the only one that had trouble tuning for a K&N and the only real benefit is that it's reusable.
I bought my bike with D&Ds already on it and was told (and could smell) that it was running rich, and that it appeared a "good enough" jetting job had been done or at least attempted. It would also bog sometimes when blipped at stoplights, and was a **** to keep lit when donning earplugs/helmet/gloves.

I got my K&N and it made more sense to have it all done once, so I had it jetted. I don't have the knowledge, patience, or equipment to do this myself. $288 later, it doesn't bog or smell like gas, generally stays started, and the seat of my pants says it pulls harder up top. It sounds a bit different, too, the power pulses are more defined, more like a square wave whereas before it was more like a sine wave.

But, it's also got a nasty stumble (lean spot?) in the lower range RPMs. No tach so I can't say exactly where but it's disconcerting to say the least. Feels like I'm running out of gas, and it's bad enough that I'm considering spending the money to put the stocker back in and rejet it. Someone here, forget who, pointed out that the K&N doesn't have a fin in front of the air filter and the stocker does, and recommended installing one, so I might try that first.

And yes, the D&Ds WILL set off car alarms. They have a nice deep tone. A frequent visitor thought it was a minor earthquake the first time she heard it (through a few walls). It's pretty fun on the freeway but definitely has "obnoxious potential" on my ride home at night.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
^^ that stumble means you are running lean on pilots...

either shim the needle or get a larger pilot jet...

i shimmed my DynoJet kit by one slot on the needle and it cleared up my low rpm stumble, hesitation (1500 to 3000 rpm)
Old 06-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Back Marker

D VTR RIDER is on a distinguished road
I installed Yosh cans and Dynojet kit all at the same time and the bike ran great. I followed Dyno's jet sizing recommendation.
When I installed the K&N filters it bogged down at low revs something terrible. I rejetted per Dyno's suggested settings and the bike ran great. If your having a problem getting the carbs into the boots, use a little vasaline or your favourite lubricant on inside of the boots. They will slip on easily.
One thing to check before installing the D&D's is to check to make sure that the right header at the Y is not restricted. My header was half closed off because they did not trim away the pipe leading and exiting the Y connector. Use a flashlight, I missed it the first time. Idle was always a little rough and inconsistent when the engine was hot. It now idles perfectly since I opened up the header pipe.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by D VTR RIDER
One thing to check before installing the D&D's is to check to make sure that the right header at the Y is not restricted. My header was half closed off because they did not trim away the pipe leading and exiting the Y connector. Use a flashlight, I missed it the first time. Idle was always a little rough and inconsistent when the engine was hot. It now idles perfectly since I opened up the header pipe.

But i read some folks say it should be there to equal out the exhaust flow?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Back Marker

Well.... it turned out better than i thought.
It turns out, that the guy had the exhaust on the bike for two years. the bike was already jeted for it. Whohoooo!!!!!
Slipped them on, went for a ride for a few hours... everything runs smooth, crispier.. more responsive. does not overheat, seems like same temp as before, idles better as well. Not terribly loud either.... all in all i'm happy.
He had the pipes online for a few weeks and no hits, as soon as i called him everyone and their mom started calling as well.... wouldn't be any of you guys, now would it?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by reaper
When you pull the carbs off be very careful to unscrew the choke needles as the assembly is plastic and will break very easily if one is not careful.
Yeah, it sure doesn't take much to snap the threads off. I'm still waiting for the part to arrive. Glad I fixed it at least temporarily.
Attached Thumbnails D&D slip-ons rejeting needed?-choke.jpg  
Old 06-30-2009, 12:34 PM
The Hypno-Toad
Superstock
Superstock

Originally Posted by Gregw
Yeah, it sure doesn't take much to snap the threads off. I'm still waiting for the part to arrive. Glad I fixed it at least temporarily.
Not to mention it helps to have a small child help reach them for you. Not having one handy, it took me about half and hour to get those things to thread back in.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:18 AM
Back Marker

Wow.... good thing i didn't have to do any of that, i probably would have snapped it off
Old 07-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
my d&d's suck!! i hate em but came on bike, i puttin jar. rt-one high mounts on when i get time, i j/ got cases powder coated satin black, i have 02 model so they re that ugly green