General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Crash Stories

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 01:19 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
Crash Stories

Tell us your best ones.

I'd tell you about mine but I had SOCRS that day (sudden onset can't remember ****). Somebody else would have to tell that one. I'm quite sure it was spectacular. Mike thought so.

Here's a couple of others:

Riding up Monitor Pass on a Sunday, it was me on my new Super Hawk, Dustin behind me on his Ducati 998, Dean on his RC51, David on his R1 and Mike on his RC51. It was early season and there was still some sand on the road, so I was taking it pretty easy. Dustin thought too easy I guess. We went over the top and Dustin whacked it open and blew by. Everybody let him go. I could still see him going into the first hairpin, then a couple of esses and another hairpin that changes camber late. Coming around that one I see a wadded Ducati and Dusitn rolling over to sit up. His mouth and eyes were full of dirt. He had a dislocated elbow, but was otherwise ok. He was talking about how he should have gassed it to get the front end to pull around the corner - Yeah right! We got him moved into the shade and got his broken baby up on the stand, called a friend with a truck and with his blessing went on for a couple hundred more miles of mountain twisties. He crashed that bike two more times after that. I don't think he rides any more.

Another time on Monitor I met these guys at the store in Markleeville, a dad on a Ducati and son on an SV650. We started up and the dad waved me by. We rode up the lower canyon at a sporting clip, son was right on my ***. Got to the valley midway up and son comes roaring by, not going a little bit faster, but a lot faster. Again there he is going into a tight right hander and a sweeper left. As I came around the lefthander I saw this scene at deadpoint. There was a dust cloud, no bike and son laying on top of a pine tree. Then the scene reanimated and the pine tree started to recoil, tossing son back up onto the roadway. Sound wierd? It was. Son was a little banged up. Bike had a bent handlebar. We pulled the bar back and continued on our way.

Last edited by RCVTR; 03-26-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Squid

BenjaminVFR750 is on a distinguished road
Wack at the track

Ill let the vid do the talking, well I tried to embed the vid but just click the link you will get it !

[dohtml]<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="<A href="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4Da_tb8BKk"></param><embed">http://www.youtube.com/v/w4Da_tb8BKk"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w4Da_tb8BKk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>[/dohtml]

Last edited by BenjaminVFR750; 03-26-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:56 PM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
i don't need to write the whole thing out ... you can read aqbout it here.

http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=62040

it's a great read... since the riding season is near.

tim

btw: we ended up completely reworking how we 'pace' these group rides and had a lot of success.

Last edited by trinc; 03-26-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:11 PM
Squid

Silverstorm is on a distinguished road
I lowsided a monobike on an indoortrack. Simply to much trottle exiting a slow corner. Hit the wall and broke my back at 2 places and cracked my pelvis. Had to sleep sitting up for an entire year. It happened about 1.5 years ago and even now I sometimes still feel it. But it didn't stop me from bikin'. Just one month after the accident I got on my storm again. All tied up.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:54 PM
Squid

BenjaminVFR750 is on a distinguished road
[quote=Silverstorm;157347]I lowsided a monobike on an indoortrack.

Whats is this monobike you speak of
Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 AM
SuperBike

I know this is a subject people don't really want to talk about. I think it's valuable to learn from other people's mistakes, especially since there is so much commonality.

The local club has 1-3 per year. Last year a guy wrapped his leg around a tree following the back end of the group. Fortnately somebody was hanging back and saw him go off, or they never would have found him. Another was hanging on the back of the group when he overbraked and lowsided into oncoming trafic. A third was following a guy on a BMW that couldn't possibly be going a fast as he was. Off he went into the rock wall.

My point is, don't be that guy. The group rides go too fast, even when they have the talk in the parking lot about keeping speed down.

This forum has 3 or so per year also.

Ride your own ride, and please keep this in mind. It may help you decide to be safer on the roads. Sportbikes tend to bring out the alter-ego. It's up to you to keep it in check.

Thanks for listening. My rant is over!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Haven't been down yet, but I hit a wild boar last year riding my road race bicycle and ate it big time! I was just tooling along at 20+ mph with a buddy at 5am before daylight. He was on my left and I was near the white line on the right, we always ride with traffic.

The pig came from the left and it was at least 200 lbs, big and black. My left perif. vision was blocked by my friend and he had no time to speak, but he did brake and missed the pig.

All of a sudden my HID headlight was full of pig I t-boned him square and went right over the bars! All I could think about was not busting my HID bulb so I tucked my head and my left shoulder hit first and I slid down the road on my head and shoulder with the bike still clipped on my feet up in the air!

That hog never made a peep and kept running right off into the woods. Me and the bike only got minor road rash and the HID didn't get a scratch, but I alway watch for pigs now no matter what I'm riding
Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Squid

vtrj is on a distinguished road
I was going to a freands house last november early in the morning down a long straight road to help him move. Doing my usual wheelies along the way with no problems. I see a goodhalf mile stretch with no cars and stand up and hammer it. About half way down the stretch some cars come toward me so i let it down, as the front wheel hits the ground the bike goes into a bad head shake witch lasted just a few seconds and then it's fly time. alls i saw were glimps's of road, spining bike, car, road and so on untill i came to a stop, my bike up agianst the side walk leaking gas. By now cars are pulling over to check on me, i get up and walk to the bike happy to be alive, i know i have no broken bone but a lot of road rash. As i get to the bike i know if it starts i'm not waiting for the cop's, pick the bike uphit the button and it starts, kick the tires, pick off the hangies, mount the bike and off i go. Although i have done wheelies since just to prove they did'nt get the better of me it's not something i do on the road anymore. By the way i always ride in full gear and it paid off that day as i would have been skinless. Live and learn and stop the foolishness.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 AM
nOOb
Squid

Dusty B is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FL02SupaHawk996
Haven't been down yet, but I hit a wild boar last year riding my road race bicycle and ate it big time! I was just tooling along at 20+ mph with a buddy at 5am before daylight. He was on my left and I was near the white line on the right, we always ride with traffic.

The pig came from the left and it was at least 200 lbs, big and black. My left perif. vision was blocked by my friend and he had no time to speak, but he did brake and missed the pig.

All of a sudden my HID headlight was full of pig I t-boned him square and went right over the bars! All I could think about was not busting my HID bulb so I tucked my head and my left shoulder hit first and I slid down the road on my head and shoulder with the bike still clipped on my feet up in the air!

That hog never made a peep and kept running right off into the woods. Me and the bike only got minor road rash and the HID didn't get a scratch, but I alway watch for pigs now no matter what I'm riding

I think this is my new favorite "ate it" story for the year. Do you eat pork? If so he chalked up a point for the other team!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:28 AM
Squid

Darrell400ex is on a distinguished road
crash

To make a very long story short I decied it would be a good idea to jump on my hawk after a very bad day with 2 girlfriends (bad idea). I pulled out of work and went hard through 1st, shifted to 2nd and the front wheel came up as it always did so I rode it out, Here is where the stupid part comes out, I ran out of power in 2nd so I thought shifing to 3rd in the air would be smart (not good) My tail light hit the ground and the bike twisted to the left. I thankfully rermembered to let go. I ended up with a realy road rashed right arm but I fell lucky to get out with no more damage for only wearing a helmet for approperite riding gear. Thanks to the crew on this site I just got the bike all bake together and took it for the first ride last night. Great feeling
Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 PM
Miss the food at T.W.O.
Squid

truepath is on a distinguished road
I bought an 05 f4i off the showroom floor on thursday. the lady that did my banking at the time was not in on friday or saturday. I went in on monday to sign the paperwork. I took a right out of the bank and then the first road to the left.... a lady in a cadillac pulled out in front of me and I t-boned her running 20mph. I dont remember anything after making that left. my room mates went to look at the scene and I had enough time to leave a very short skid mark....broken back, jaw, sternum...nerve damage in my left hand, brain shear causing lost memories and headaches..................the bike had 170 miles on it........still in litigation after almost 4 years
Old 03-27-2008, 12:37 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

Dusty, pork is the other white meat and I've been eating more since he took that point from me...LOL
Old 03-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by truepath
I bought an 05 f4i off the showroom floor on thursday. the lady that did my banking at the time was not in on friday or saturday. I went in on monday to sign the paperwork. I took a right out of the bank and then the first road to the left.... a lady in a cadillac pulled out in front of me and I t-boned her running 20mph. I dont remember anything after making that left. my room mates went to look at the scene and I had enough time to leave a very short skid mark....broken back, jaw, sternum...nerve damage in my left hand, brain shear causing lost memories and headaches..................the bike had 170 miles on it........still in litigation after almost 4 years
man that's tough....makes every bit of it hurt even more to have it drug out for so damn long
Old 03-27-2008, 02:01 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
My aplogies for the length.

My worst:

It was a warm summer afternoon. I had just passed a pickup on two lane road and was steering back into my lane but my momentum took me to the right tire lane. I vaguely remember seeing a black blur inbound on the right.

Next thing I know, I'm sliding down the road and feeling an INTENSE burning sensation along my upper right side. Hmm, maybe a T-shirt doesn't protect all that well. So, I stuck out my fingerless gloved hands and flipped to the other side. I wanted to make sure I got a nice, even dose of road rash and who needs fingernails anyway?

Shortly after that, I lost one or both of my tennis shoes so my feet and ankles could participate in the fun too. Seeing the ditch next explained why a new sensation of coolness enveloped me. The grass felt oh so good on now my raw, bloody skin but I would pay a significant price in the ER for this temporary, minor relief.

I then saw my precious '77 CB750F go sliding by me in a brilliant display of sparks. They made bikes back then with real steel; none of that cheap plasticky stuff of today. <grin> Actually, the engine guard took the brunt of the friction and ground all the way through but damaged the points cover juuuuuust enough that it wouldn't run.

Wouldn't have matter as I couldn't pick the bike up anyway. The truck driver who witness the whole thing, stopped, and help me out. He got the bike back up by himself as I discovered a broken right clavicle makes your arm pretty useless. He pushed the bike off the road and parked it. I think the key was still in it.

Since we were on the outside of town, he offered to take me to the ER. In my shock, I said no but to instead drop me off at my house which was on the way. My parents were out of town for the weekend and I would have no way of getting back home so I thought it would be smarter to get my car and drive myself to the ER. He reluctantly agreed. He then told me I had hit a large dog or, more accurately, the dog had torpedo me. It was a bitch in heat being chased through 3+ foot high grass/weeds by a pack. Days later, I found some blood and hair on the back side of front right caliper confirming his story.

It was only a few minutes later when he dropped me off at home but the adrenaline and shock were now wearing off and the pain was growing incredibly. I felt like I was on fire. It was then I realized that driving a car with a stick shift and a broken right clavicle is NOT the best plan but I somehow made it to the hospital. Now in a daze, I stupidly walked through the front door of the hospital and not the ER in the back. I must have looked like walking death judging by the look on the face of the volunteer at the information desk......

Highlights of the ER experience were: no pain meds until they scrub ALL your rash clean and bandage it since those meds can act as blood thinners, police will show up and ticket you while sitting on the ER table, and the staff won't release you to drive yourself home after injecting you with narcotics! LOL

Judging by the damage to my helmet, I'm pretty sure I would have died without it or at the very least suffered horrible facial disfigurement (face plant impact) as neither my parents or I would have been able to pay for expensive cosmetic surgeries.

Ever since then it's been ATGATT and I hug the middle of the road as much as possible; especially if there's high grass or obstructed views. WORD

Last edited by superbling; 03-27-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 03:38 PM
Squid

[quote=BenjaminVFR750;157372]
Originally Posted by Silverstorm
I lowsided a monobike on an indoortrack.

Whats is this monobike you speak of

This is a little bike, just a bit bigger then a pocketbike.

The bike I fell down with was a KTM but this pic gives u an idea. I was lucky. A couple of months later a guy from our Belgian forum lost his brother in exact the same corner on that track.

Last edited by Silverstorm; 03-27-2008 at 03:42 PM. Reason: extra
Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Squid

This is us on another track but these aren't so fast. The KTM-track has been closed since that guy died.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwNSdqXAhnw

And this is the track where it happend:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2I8wRlIjjA
Old 03-27-2008, 05:31 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
alter-ego. It's up to you to keep it in check.

Thanks for listening. My rant is over!
Eeeenufff said, and I second that. We've both been hit hard and if we were going 10mph faster there's a very good chance neither of us would be typing.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Back Marker

Derbig Mooser is on a distinguished road
Okay, this is a cruel post, but here it comes. We all know "wanna-bes" sport bikers, but there is a much more pathetic kind. If you have ever been lucky enough to get a bike which gets some attention from people, you've met them too. I call them "used-tas". They come over and tell you about the sport bike they used-ta own, and how fast they went, and describe their crashes, as if these things redounded to their credit. They tell you how fast they were going (130mph, it's always 130 up here, it may be different in your area. And when you finally get the straight story, piece it together, you discover they're a used-ta cause they used up motorcycling, in a couple years or less. now, between the pins in their bones, the tickets on their record, and the expense of all that, they don't ride anymore. Just at the age when they could really start to enjoy themselves and motorcycles. The first time I rode a bike on the road I knew it was something I wanted to do my whole life. And in order to do that, I was going to have to give some things up, like keeping the injuries and tickets to the minimum I could.
So use some sense, don't be a used-ta.
Of course, if your Dad's the local Police Chief, and you can afford to play Duc, Duc, Guzzi, (just buying one exotic bike after another), and you shrug off broken bones, and your Mom's an insurance agent, go to it! Some people just have it all, and there's no use bitchin' about it.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 PM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
Let's see...I've got a few stories for all of ya

1. My Crash
My dad, my buddy Kevin, and Mitch all headed down to South Carolina to Caesar's Head. The day started out pretty shitty when I dropped my bike at the gas station bending the clutch lever. But I shrugged it off and we got on our way. We made it down to South Carolina safely and met up with all the usual guys and gals at the gas station. A group of us decided to make a run. We suited up and headed out. We made a run up the mountain...and it was one of the best I've ever had. We turned around and started heading back. We are going through a sweeping left...I'm looking too far into the corner and don't notice my dad (he's in front of me) slowing down (i forgot that the corner starts wide then gets real sharp...and I'm doing about 60-70 mph). So i have a choice...run into my dad...or fly off this cliff. I chose to fly! So i stand the bike up straight and slam on the brakes...leaving about a 50 foot skid mark...which slowed me down to about 30-40 mph. I go off the road and hit the edge of the cliff...which has a lip to it...which sends me flying up through the air. Luckily, in a way, there was a huge ******* tree that I slammed into...along with my bike. The bike hits the tree about 5 feet up and fell to the ground. I hit about 8 feet up...head first...and continue to fly through the air about 30 feet down....until I come to a stop in a bunch of brush. I don't remember much (thanks to blacking out)...but I know I get carried to the top and it took about 20 guys to carry my bike up. I get rushed to the hospital....and find out i have no broken bones....none! Just some ligament damage (fixed with crutches. haha) and pain all over my body. People thought I was dead for sure lying motionless down this cliff...yet i didn't break anything, felt like i did though. haha.

2. Cali
About 5-7 years ago, can't really remember, me and my dad flew out to California, where a guy my dad meet online on his forum, advrider.com, loaned us his second bike for a BMW camping rally at Yosemite. I didn't have my license at the time....so I was riding bitch . I think it was day 3 or so, but we are flying through the hills having a blast. We are behind Mike, who is riding a Yamaha Midnight Warrior. We are going around a sweeping slight-downhill right, which then cuts into a very hard uphill left. We come through the right hander and watch as Mike, going too fast, low sides trying to make the left. He slides off the road and into a hill. The tank had a fist-sized hole punched through it, gas pouring out, from a big *** rock. We patched it up with some JB weld...dusted it off...and got back to riding.

3. More Caesar's Head
Right at the NC/SC line there is a little gravel pull off that is a nice place to pull off into, chill, talk, and watch bikes fly through this tight, yet fast, double switchback. A bunch of us are hanging out and we all hear a Busa screaming up the mountain. We all stop talking and get ready to watch. He comes into our view f***ing flying!!! He slams on the rear brake right before entering the first switchback and loses all control! By the way, the pull-off that we are hanging out in....is right in the path of this out of control Busa. He low sides and they bike comes sliding right at us. For some magical reason, it goes off course and slams into a boulder that the SC state sign is attached to. He rolls into the ditch that is on the inside of the corner. The bike, totaled, the guy, broken. We come to find out that he had just bought this '06 Busa the day before. Dumbass!

Sorry for the length...but story time is story time fellas!
Old 03-28-2008, 07:00 AM
SuperBike

Good stories!
Doug, that's awesomely horrifying!
Bicycle wrecks:
Brother hosing me down at the corner in front of our house, me riding by on my Stingray as fast as I can go. Both with really stupid grins on our faces. Road gets wet, Rand goes down, no shirt on. Road really slippery, slides long time.

Race sprint in Bidwell park, lock up handlebars, down i go, wearing nothing but lycra. Bones and tendons visible through hole in elbow. That one left a mark.

My son got way into mountain bike riding. I've been riding cross-cuntry bikes for many years, but of course, to him it's not ountain biking unless it's steep, rocky and requires 7" of suspension travel. So now that's mountain biking for me too. Super fun, very techinical and difficult. I can't wait for the new season to start. Lat fall I was riding a super technical section, planted the front wheel behind a rock and went OTB. I bent the tip of my pinky finger sideways. That was in October and it's still jacked! Longest lasting injury ever.

I've got lots more...
Old 03-28-2008, 07:06 AM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

RCVRT, I have a Titus Switchblade full suspension MTB and have raced xcountry on it and podiumed more than once...love MTB!