General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Considering converting Superhawk to Motard

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Considering converting Superhawk to Motard

So I have it in my head that I want a motard. Problem? Tiny tank, tiny seat, and horrible on the highway. The SH has a slightly better range, you can always get a corbin, and it's far better at highways.
So what do I have in mind? I will be purchasing a full front fork setup off a dirtbike, or preferably off a Supermoto. However I am curious as to how strong the headstock on the SH is. I'm not going to be doing 100ft tabletops, but obviously a significantly longer fork is going to put more stress on it.
My largest concern right now is if the rear swingarm will work. I want to pull the stock SH rear wheel and replace it with a 5" supermoto wheel with a 160 rear tire. So the problem remains as to the shimming of the wheel. I need to have both the sprockets and the rear brake lined up correctly. This might be impossible with the SH stock swingarm, and I am also not sure of the travel capabilities of the stock swingarm. I am looking to get equal ride height, obviously, and close-to-equal travel out of the front and rear.

You think it's possible, or should I simply wait to get a Supermoto?
Old 10-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Is it possible? yes. Anything is possible if you throw enough money and/or fabrication skill at it. Is it realistic? No. a 470lb supermotard is sort of a contradiction in terms IMHO. If you're serious as cancer about the project. Do as much internet research as you can into the Honda Varadero. It was a Honda adventrure tourer along the lines of the BMW GS series, sharing the motor and VERY FEW other parts with the VTR1000F.

It never came to the USA, but may have gone to Canada...in which case parts might be easier to find. Otherwise, you're best bet is scour ebay in europe and hope the shipping fee's won't kill ya.

EDIT
Varadero had 6.1" travel front and 5.7" travel rear...

hell, you might want to just look into 'grey market' a Varadero into the USA and put your SH's plates on it. Might be cheaper, and sure would be alot faster.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:53 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
You could also make a convertible out of a sedan, but you're probably better off just buying a convertible. Just my opinion.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:05 PM
imp
Squid

imp is on a distinguished road
I'll bite, I had a WR426 supermoto that I traded straight across for my superhawk...

I think your success will rely as much on naming convention as it will on fabrication skill. A supermoto, by definition, is a motocross bike with slicks, and you'd probably have as good a shot converting a superhawk into a toyota van or a skateboard.

An "adventure" bike is a much closer proposition... see the honda varadero xl1000, w/ superhawk mill. The purpose of adventure bikes though, ostensibly, is to be able to ride fire roads and double track.

So you have a dirt bike converted to ride on a tight road race course with jumps, or a sport tourer that's been converted to ride on flat off-road with no jumps. The superhawk is naturally closer to one of these, so... What do you want your bike to do?

I think it could be great... but within the constraints of reasonableness. If you want to rip up broken pavement, gas it over train tracks, back into tight corners and tear around fire roads (maybe occasionally go up stairs?) you have my support. Get handlebars and call it a day, or supplement them with lengthier forks and shock. The head tube is not a concern in the least... but remember the swingarm pivots through the unsupported engine case, and if you get ambitious you could break the whole casting.
Attached Thumbnails Considering converting Superhawk to Motard-hpim3237.jpeg   Considering converting Superhawk to Motard-blackbeauty008.jpg   Considering converting Superhawk to Motard-916dirtbike.jpg  
Old 10-23-2009, 04:08 PM
imp
Squid

also... do you like screwing with your bike more, or riding it? Screwing with it's also fun, so I'm not going to tell you what to do based on the likelihood that this will be a time and money eating endeavor. Depends on your comfort level with making or modifying pieces of metal, I guess
Old 10-23-2009, 04:15 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
You could also make a convertible out of a sedan, but you're probably better off just buying a convertible. Just my opinion.
HAHA yeah but what fun would that be?
Old 10-23-2009, 04:28 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
HAHA yeah but what fun would that be?
A friend of mine cut the roof off his '52 Chevy in high school. Then he made a bamboo top for it. It looked pretty cool...surf car.

And '52 Chevy's were about $100 then, early '60s.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

I was thinking, it'd be like a Hypermotard...but actually fun.
And of course I'd rip off the fairings and stuff.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
I personally wouldn't do it.

But if i "had to"... I would just get dirtbike, fab up some engine mounts to except the vtr engine and remove the knobby tires and put some street tires on her and be done with it!
Old 10-23-2009, 07:35 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Only problem is the chassis flex, and the engine would destroy the frame.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Only problem is the chassis flex, and the engine would destroy the frame.

I would have to disagree with you on that. If properly done when you fab your engine mounts, you will also be cutting, reshaping and gusseting the frame. Engine destroying the frame would be the least of my worries if i fabbed it up.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:25 AM
imp
Squid

"hypermotard" is easy, see pic of modified monster in my post above. That's a hypermotard, in a nutshell... probably with more travel. A hypermotard is just a monster (same weight, hp, everything) with a little more travel and a funny seat/fairings.

Really, just ripping off the fairings and adding handlebars changes the character so much, you may as well start there. I'm converting my hawk into naked right now, pics forthcoming--
Old 10-24-2009, 05:42 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

I owned a zrx1100 before. That's essentially all I'd end up with if I did that. I like fairings enough that unless I did something like this, I would leave them on.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:18 AM
Crash
Superstock

COLE is on a distinguished road
buy a ktm or ducati or a xr650r and buy a wrecked superhawk and do a motor swap
Old 10-24-2009, 09:55 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
I have liked the supermotard idea way before it became popular. I had an 1988 1000 hurricane and wanted to make it more capable of handling a lot of country roads around my area that were too rough for short travel sportbikes. These attributes make sense to me for the real world of rougher, dirtier, low traffic, secondary roads that are a blast to explore. I talked to Ohlins and they said it would be cost prohibitive so i ended up adding an xr650l instead of modding the 2 year old Hurricane, although a 130hp supermotard might have been interesting, huh. I say, if you're up for it, have at it. You may come up with something that surprises everyone and, most importantly, puts a permanent grin on your face.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:42 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
I thought the point of a supermotard was how light they were. I don't think the hypermotard really qualifies as a supermotard. It kinda looks the part, but the hyper doesn't bleed dirt bike parts when rubbed on pavement. That said I think the hawk makes a great fighter, but because of its heft never a supermotard, even if it looks the part.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:10 PM
Squid

Onsto is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RPV-Hawk
Do as much internet research as you can into the Honda Varadero. It was a Honda adventrure tourer along the lines of the BMW GS series, sharing the motor and VERY FEW other parts with the VTR1000F.

It never came to the USA, but may have gone to Canada...in which case parts might be easier to find. Otherwise, you're best bet is scour ebay in europe and hope the shipping fee's won't kill ya.

hell, you might want to just look into 'grey market' a Varadero into the USA and put your SH's plates on it. Might be cheaper, and sure would be alot faster.
Hi from Vancouver BC - the Varadero is available in Canada. It's a poor second to the 'Zook DL / V-Strom, and neither of them is even close to the BMW GS' for compromise on / off road handling. Not to mention that bikes in Canada are considerably more expensive than they are in the US, which is why so many of us head South to buy.

Possible alternative - if you want a big v-twin motard style; have you considered the Buell XB12x (or xt with big screen and monster luggage). I hear that they are discounted to fire-sale prices now that Buell is no more...
Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Onsto
Hi from Vancouver BC - the Varadero is available in Canada. It's a poor second to the 'Zook DL / V-Strom, and neither of them is even close to the BMW GS' for compromise on / off road handling. Not to mention that bikes in Canada are considerably more expensive than they are in the US, which is why so many of us head South to buy.

Possible alternative - if you want a big v-twin motard style; have you considered the Buell XB12x (or xt with big screen and monster luggage). I hear that they are discounted to fire-sale prices now that Buell is no more...
If I had money to spend, it'd certainly be going anywhere but Buell.
I'd get a KTM 990 adventure first.
Old 10-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Not to mention that bikes in Canada are considerably more expensive than they are in the US, which is why so many of us head South to buy.
Bikes may be expensive up nortd, but they are cheaper than shipping from Europe! That's the only reason I mentioned it. Also, parts are available in Canada, which SHOULD be cheaper than shipping from across the pond.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
You can convert to your hearts content, nut I think you'll end up with a Honda version of a Kawasaki Versys or Suzuki V-strom 1000.. Powerful not light weight adventure tourer that can go down a dirt road, but that’s about it. And that has merit if that’s what you’re going for.

New front end for sure, with an additional 6” of travel in the 49-51mm standard showa fork range. New swing arm and shock for increased ride height and travel. Remove all plastic. Fab a headlight and high fender assembly. 110/80x19 front 150/70x17 rear,and tires something like the Avon Distanzia or Michelin Anakee
Old 10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
The adventure hawk has been done: https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=20164

And here is someone trying a supermoto conversion: http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewto...105996#p105996
Old 10-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Hmm, so maybe I'll try taking this one step at the time.
Obviously first comes the front end. I want to see if I can still use the front wheel off the Superhawk in the beginning stages, just to cut costs. Once I get further along, I might buy some Sumo spoked rims so I can be a true hooligan.
If anyone can identify this front end, let me know:
Old 10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
At the start of that thread on vtr1000.org he said they are KTM forks.. Beyond that I can't help you. I don't know what triple that is, or even which KTM that is off of.

But KTM makes some insane bikes, like the 950 super enduro.
http://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/...r-ar73392.html

So I am sure they have a fork big enough for that.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:12 PM
Squid

If I had money to spend, it'd certainly be going anywhere but Buell.
I'd get a KTM 990 adventure first.
A truly wise choice. If you have the $$$ - they are the best part of $20k including fees and taxes in Canada - don't know what they list for in the US?

Only offering the XB12x by comparison because (anecdotally) apparently HD dealers are moving then for $7k US. At that price, I'd be tempted. I've ridden the GS, the Varadero, the V-Strom and a few others and none of them handle that well on the road (and frankly are much too heavy to get into serious dirt), I haven't ridden the Buell but I doubt its that much better or worse. Talking speculatively, of course - if anyone wants to disagre from experience of all of them, be my guest.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:35 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

A truly wise choice. If you have the $$$ - they are the best part of $20k including fees and taxes in Canada - don't know what they list for in the US?

Only offering the XB12x by comparison because (anecdotally) apparently HD dealers are moving then for $7k US. At that price, I'd be tempted. I've ridden the GS, the Varadero, the V-Strom and a few others and none of them handle that well on the road (and frankly are much too heavy to get into serious dirt), I haven't ridden the Buell but I doubt its that much better or worse. Talking speculatively, of course - if anyone wants to disagre from experience of all of them, be my guest.
However for 7k I could get a very nice used bike, such as the rc51, which I would take any day over a new Buell.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Squid

However for 7k I could get a very nice used bike, such as the rc51, which I would take any day over a new Buell.
I'm sure that'd be great off road. Maybe you could ruin (I mean motard) that too.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Well considering a Buell would be just as great, I mean horrible, at offroad, I think I am making a fair comparison.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Squid

Well considering a Buell would be just as great, I mean horrible, at offroad, I think I am making a fair comparison.
Give me a call, or even better post a vid, when you can do the Atigun Pass on an RC51.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9i3p...video_response

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atigun_Pass

Not saying the RC51 is a bad bike IN ANY WAY - they're feckin awesome at what they do and I drool every time I see them. I am planning a ride up to Alaska next summer, though, and you can be damn sure that it won't be on my Superhawk! And for $7k, or anything less than $10k (or HALF the price of a GS) that Buell is a steal...
Old 10-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Squid

(you can retract your statement now, btw)
Old 10-27-2009, 11:56 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey its your bike,do what you want.
i think it could be cool,hell im converting my modding madness into a ducati!

Quick Reply: Considering converting Superhawk to Motard