General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Chi-Knee Leva! An in-depth look into knock-offs

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM
Superstock

Bandit400man is on a distinguished road
Chi-Knee Leva! An in-depth look into knock-offs

Hey guys figured I'd post these up to give a better idea of what to expect.
I picked these up for a company calling themselves 'Mad Hornets'. Even though they have a stateside phone number and somebody that answers emails in actual english, not engresh LOL...these still shipped from China. But shipping was included in the price of $40.
Ordered on (last) Tuesday night I think, arrived today...so about 8 days...not too bad!

Name:  IMAG0916.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  19.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0917.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  28.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0918.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  25.8 KB

Name:  IMAG0919.jpg
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0920.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  23.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0921.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  20.3 KB

All in all, they are actually pretty nice, at least in my 'never-actually-owned-AVG's-or-pizzos-levers' opinion. They feel surprisingly solid, with minimal wiggle room. The adjusters click nicely and preform as expected.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Back Marker

kardiac996 is on a distinguished road
This is actually good to know as I have been eyeing them for a while. Im not down with the 100 bucks per lever idea. Let me know how they install and what you think.

I appreciate the time to post pics too.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:34 PM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
cool.......now the real test begins huh. keep us apprised.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Superstock

And here are some pics of them taken apart, cause you know I had to! Me thinky that some shims could tighten up that already, barely-there wiggle (maybe carb needle er whatever shims?)

Anyone else got a pair?

Name:  IMAG0922.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  25.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0923.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  12.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0924.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0925.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  24.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0926.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  18.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0927.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  15.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0928.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  17.5 KB

So as you can see, they are actually machined...only thing I doubt is if there actually anodized and not just painted...I suppose time will tell.

Hope this convinces anyone else on the fence that they ain't so bad. As far as I can tell now (still uninstalled) they were worth the money and the wait. I'll post up pics of them installed and how they actually feel in the coming days...(been doin hardcore overtime while its authorized! Cha Ching!!)
Old 11-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Squid

scpt kirk is on a distinguished road
Hey, I actually have a pair and they are nice for the price!!! Not hard to install at all. Mine does not have any wiggle room.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:55 PM
SuperSport

twist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Bandit400man
And here are some pics of them taken apart, cause you know I had to! Me thinky that some shims could tighten up that already, barely-there wiggle (maybe carb needle er whatever shims?)

Anyone else got a pair?

So as you can see, they are actually machined...only thing I doubt is if there actually anodized and not just painted...I suppose time will tell.

Hope this convinces anyone else on the fence that they ain't so bad. As far as I can tell now (still uninstalled) they were worth the money and the wait. I'll post up pics of them installed and how they actually feel in the coming days...(been doin hardcore overtime while its authorized! Cha Ching!!)
I'm very interested too. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Got a link? The ones I've found are 44.99

Last edited by twist; 11-14-2012 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha,
Thanks also for the write-up. I also have been considering these levers. Never purchased international before. Will stay tuned for after install/ride impressions.
Look very good, especially for the price
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Squid

Mikael is on a distinguished road
I got a pair similar to those a month ago from here:

Adjustable Custom Brake & Clutch Levers - Sport bike Racing Parts-Performance Sportbike Custom Levers,Rear sets,Billet Mirror,Sport bike Accessories

I got the shorty levers, so far they seem to be really nice, no noticeable wiggle so far. Not quite as cheap but at $62 not bad at all for a pair. Easy to adjust, nice feel to them and they look way better than the stock ones. Using two fingers its quite easy to fully lock the brakes or pull the clutch in all the way depending on your adjustment, all in all a good purchase without having to pay the expensive price. Also if eventually they do start to loosen up easy to take apart at fix any wiggle that may occur. If you ever wanted a nice pair of levers nice to know you don't have to shell out for an expensive pair as these will definitely do the trick.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 AM
Superstock

Word Mikael, shorty is the way to go...there really not all that much shorter, but just enough to be shorter than the handlebars so you don't bend them in a crash...

And scpt kirk, mine dont have much wiggle at all, but just enough to justify me playing around with it LOL even thought of drilling out the mounting holes and installing bushings...

The place I got them from was HERE

An holy bat ****, twist! they raised the price!! WTF?? Id email them an say hey another guy on my forum just got em for $5 bucks cheaper, what gives?? Wow...lol
Old 11-15-2012, 07:20 AM
Back Marker

altosuperhawk is on a distinguished road
The one complaint I read about the less expensive knock-offs is about fading after exposure to sunlight. Those with natural, or silver, color don't voice the observation. If the bike is always kept in a garage or under a cover it'd be a rarer complaint I presume.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Honda VTR1000F / FIRESTORM 98-00 CNC Shorty Long Racing Brake Clutch Lever Set | eBay

Just to add to this thread if anyone interested. Bought these for my '05 last summer. Solid, good service, 2 min. installation, very nice finish and work great for the price. Also have a nice variety of color combinations if you wish.

I so far have no complaints, they still work good, no wobble and lever adjuster still very solid. I also like the 2/3 fingure configuration, fits more my style.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Aloha,

Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered a pair of shortys in Black. Under $40 shipped,
couldn't pass it up. Thanks again Bandit400 for the info/pics. Hope it makes it to Hawaii
at close to your time. Will post on receipt of levers also after install(when they come in).
Old 11-15-2012, 03:29 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
I have a set of these and a set of pazzos. The only difference is a small washer that takes out a bit of the slop.

The colours were a bit different between the two as well.

I'd bet they are machined in the same factory. I've swapped the levers between them both & all the parts are interchangeable.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:38 PM
SportTouring
Superstock

Good to hear matt, maybe will look into that small washer if needed. That washer on the pazzos, any specs/pics? Mahalo.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:44 PM
Superstock

Hey guys...so I stole a handful of tiny washers from work...beleive it or not, they wouldn't fit...not even by being really tight...so I think, unless I got actual shims, it'll be fine as in, like scpt kirk said.
Still didn't install yet...girlyfriend borrowed my screwdriver an now I cant find it...that explains it! LOL
Old 11-15-2012, 04:07 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Hey guys...so I stole a handful of tiny washers from work...beleive it or not, they wouldn't fit...not even by being really tight...so I think, unless I got actual shims, it'll be fine as in, like scpt kirk said.
Still didn't install yet...girlyfriend borrowed my screwdriver an now I cant find it...that explains it! LOL
Well, your bad for only having one screwdriver!!
Old 11-15-2012, 06:12 PM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Got mine for my SF from these guys, traded the "free" grips for free shipping...

Adjustable Custom Brake & Clutch Levers - Sport bike Racing Parts-Performance Sportbike Custom Levers,Rear sets,Billet Mirror,Sport bike Accessories
Old 11-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Superstock

Hey guys, company got back to me and corrected me on their price. They're still only just under $40 shipped. Heres direct links to their website:

Shorty Levers $40

Regular Length Levers $45

Fully adjustable length, foldable $70

Again, their service is top notch, and communication quick!

And 7more...Yeah I got others but that one was my favorite...could switch out the heads (Phillips/flat) with a nice interchange thing that actually worked...a truly pimpin' screwdriver it was... LOL
Old 11-16-2012, 08:30 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought a pair of these levers a while ago, probably 2 years ago. I opted for the shorty model. They have held up well and they look nice.

I put up a pic of the levers a while ago, you can find it here.
SuperHawk Forum - divingindaytona's Album: My shawk - Picture
Old 11-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Superstock

Nice man! and dude you got the same saddle bags I have! There awesome to have, how bout it! And did you ever run into trouble with them breaking the rear plastic mounting tabs? Smokinjoe said something about that when I reviewed mine HERE

But good to hear these lever hold up nicely..
Old 11-16-2012, 10:07 AM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Forgot to mention that the Ride It Moto standard length levers are 17.5 cm, whereas everyone else's standards are 19 cm...perfect for those who want a shorter lever, but don't want to go with shorties...
Old 11-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Nice man! and dude you got the same saddle bags I have! There awesome to have, how bout it! And did you ever run into trouble with them breaking the rear plastic mounting tabs? Smokinjoe said something about that when I reviewed mine HERE

But good to hear these lever hold up nicely..

It looks like the saddle bags are a little different. When I swapped over to high mount exhaust I took a precaution and put some heat resistant duc tape (intended for HVAC) on the back of the neoprene, flap where your showed burns.

The saddle bags have really faded, but other than that they are super useful. Also I have found out that with saddlebags on, cops look at you differently.

So far no issues with the mounting tabs.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Superstock

Pictures as currently mounted:

Name:  IMAG0930.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0931.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0934.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  43.4 KB

Name:  IMAG0933.jpg
Size:  45.0 KB

So after having them mounted, there is a little slop in them. More slop than with the stock levers, too. But not enough to actually affect feel...And I'm at a loss as to how to tighten them up.
But overall, I'm happy with them.
And good to hear, divingindaytona, that you haven't had issues with tab breakage. Nelson rigg makes heat shields for them, but I like your idea of aluminum backed HVAC tape.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Aloha Bandit, Looks good. Do you notice any interference with the fairings on full lock?
I have helibars and my high lights go on on full right lock. I also have a set of Nelson Riggs saddles I use occasionally. No problems with my low mount slip-ons, especially being carbon fiber. Anxiously awaiting my levers. I will post on my results also.

(By the way, how do you like those barend mirrors? I remember another member who ran similar and was fond of them.)

Ride Well, All....
Old 11-19-2012, 03:36 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
I own a couple of sets that I've installed on my bikes, including the 1098. They all have worked very well and show no signs of wearing out. Certainly for the cost they can't be beat.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:53 AM
Superstock

Onomea, no interference issues with the actual lever. But they do unfortunately hit/rub the switch housings on either end...the high/low beam and turnsignal housing on the right, and the start/stop switch housing on the left...but...nothing can really be done except to not turn it so hard...until you go down and it rubs into the housing and chips the paint a little...which happened. but oh well, rather have the risers: their worth the risk

And Jamie, your right, they look and work great. And as matt365 said on here earlier the pazzo (expensive ones) and the cheapys even interchange parts...whats that tell ya? LOL huge mark up for a name...
Old 11-19-2012, 08:58 AM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
I recently bought a set of these and im fighting trying to get the slack out of the brake lever side. I have to have the lever adjusted to "6" or max throw for it to work. Ive flushed my fluid and bled the brakes too.
If I pump the brake it firms up a little bit.
Is there a trick to bleeding these brakes or actually can you bleed these brakes without using the vacuum way?
I remember reading somewhere where you push the fluid from the bottom up?
Is that really necessary?

Just wanted to add that I have big hands so the levers work but with my long fingers id like the brakes to be firmer quicker.

Last edited by jeephawk; 11-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Superstock

Hmmm...lots of good reading on this site on brake bleeding...

But let me know if you come up with a solution to your slack issues, I'm sure we'd all like to hear it!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:08 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Hey guys, company got back to me and corrected me on their price. They're still only just under $40 shipped. Heres direct links to their website:

Shorty Levers $40

Regular Length Levers $45

Fully adjustable length, foldable $70

Again, their service is top notch, and communication quick!

And 7more...Yeah I got others but that one was my favorite...could switch out the heads (Phillips/flat) with a nice interchange thing that actually worked...a truly pimpin' screwdriver it was... LOL

I really like the foldable / adjustable length levers because the length sliders dovetail unlike the below units I was looking at. problem is I have a RC51 PP2 brake MC and would have to check if they'd split an order. I'm also looking for a suitable used radial MC...

HQ Clutch Brake Levers Hand Grips Pack for Honda VTR 1000 F 98 02 03 04 05 XRB | eBay
Old 11-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I have the foldable & adjustable one's... Very happy with them...

I'd suggest getting a radial MC from a CBR 1000RR 04-07... Then you can just order the set for that bike, since the clutch is the same as the VTR's...

Quick Reply: Chi-Knee Leva! An in-depth look into knock-offs