General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Cheated on the Hawk with a Tiger

Old 10-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Back Marker

jaypo is on a distinguished road
Cheated on the Hawk with a Tiger

Had a date night riding with my wife to a favorite diner. The Hawk has never been too comfortable for her so I borrowed a buddies Triumph Tiger 1050 with Leo Vance pipes. I felt bad as a pulled out of the garage on the Tiger and not on the ole Hawk. Figured she would was gonna start leaking oil in revolt.

Needless to say the Tiger was awesome and much more comfortable for both of us. Wonder if two bikes in the stable are in the works. Anybody else rocking a Hawk and a touring bike? I'd like to try a VFR but not sure how the power is compared to a tiger. Love the v4 though and it's a Honda.
Old 10-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jaypo
Had a date night riding with my wife to a favorite diner. The Hawk has never been too comfortable for her so I borrowed a buddies Triumph Tiger 1050 with Leo Vance pipes. I felt bad as a pulled out of the garage on the Tiger and not on the ole Hawk. Figured she would was gonna start leaking oil in revolt.

Needless to say the Tiger was awesome and much more comfortable for both of us. Wonder if two bikes in the stable are in the works. Anybody else rocking a Hawk and a touring bike? I'd like to try a VFR but not sure how the power is compared to a tiger. Love the v4 though and it's a Honda.
I've got a few other stablemates for the hawk and an older 1st gen interceptor is among them.

The rest of them are are all cruisers and I like having something different to drive on days that I don't think I'm mentally prepped for a little more.... finicky of a ride.

If you find one for a steal then I say go for it. The interceptors hold their value relatively well and are a blast to ride and are very forgiving; heavy, but forgiving.

I've never ridden a tiger, but there was one up on local CL that looked really sweet but then I had to kick in the whole practicality side.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:40 AM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
Looks comfy.

Albeit too much of an adventurery look for me.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:37 PM
K30
Squid

K30 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jaypo
Wonder if two bikes in the stable are in the works. Anybody else rocking a Hawk and a touring bike? I'd like to try a VFR but not sure how the power is compared to a tiger. Love the v4 though and it's a Honda.
Recently been having issues with my Superhawk, so I picked up a VFR 'to ride in the interim' , while I do engine work.

07 VFR800A. It's a blast. VTEC is... interesting. I was looking for a Candy Red one to match the Superhawk, but the RWB I got is beautiful.
Name:  6Z2LU.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  144.8 KB
Old 10-16-2011, 12:43 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

the viffer 8 hundo is a NICE bike.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
Back Marker

K30 that's gorgeous. I've always loved that color. How is the performance in relation to the hawk?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:57 PM
K30
Squid

K30 is on a distinguished road
The VFR is supposed to have the same HP as the VTR, it certainly gets up and goes. The bottom end torque is lacking compared to the Hawk. I believe the top speed is lower too, but I haven't had it topped out nor is that really a concern. I'm in between pillion riders right now , so I don't know how it performs two up.

Things I like about the VFR:
Headlights - Probably the best I've ever used. They are great.
Fuel Mileage - I'm getting 38-40mpg. Better than the 32 I get with the VTR.
Seat - Comfy for a stock seat. I probably won't upgrade it.
Brakes - I wasn't sure how I'd like the linked brakes and ABS, but they work great. The front lever controls 5/6 front pistons and 1/3 rear pistons, the rear lever 1/6 front pistons and 2/3 rear pistons.
Looks - I think it is a goooood looking bike.
Center Stand - Stock. Comes in handy.

Cons:
Storage - Maybe the VTR spoiled me, but the VFR has very little underseat storage. I could barely squeeze an extra pair of gloves down there. Guess you have to sacrifice something to get the undertail exhaust.
Weight - It does weigh more, but I only notice when I'm pushing it around.
Insurance - Bumped my insurance up about $20 a month. *shrug*
Old 10-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Back Marker

Good info!! I've really been debating. My Dad has a ST1300 with about 120k miles which I might get cheap but I've always loved the VFR.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:02 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

The one thing i'll never understand is the mismatch vfr rims... any sss year has mismatch wheels. lol
Old 10-18-2011, 01:29 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
If you're looking for night and day difference in passenger comfort, then the VFR is not your bike. The passenger seating really isn't that different. Not ragging on the VFR though... I had a 2004 and loved it... still miss it too.