SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   back tire life, haha (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/back-tire-life-haha-23296/)

uchi 07-29-2010 09:34 AM

Hah no man 220 is my goal. I was 298 in Feb so I'm getting there. :-)
I'll try what you said today if I have time. I had the damper set up q half turn higher than it is now and on the way up it felt like it was stuttering. does that sound right for too much dampening?

8541Hawk 07-29-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by uchi (Post 275866)
Hah no man 220 is my goal. I was 298 in Feb so I'm getting there. :-)
I'll try what you said today if I have time. I had the damper set up q half turn higher than it is now and on the way up it felt like it was stuttering. does that sound right for too much dampening?

Well good on ya for the weight loss, I'm doing the same thing.... and yes it does sound like you had too much damping dialed in

uchi 07-29-2010 10:53 AM

thanks buddy. ive been holding 250 for about 7 weeks, let me body recoop from loosing that much weight over a few months, and everything seems fine, so im onto my second part of it, going to 230 first see how i look from there and then 220. the only hard part is loosing the fat and building the muscle at the same time. lol.

uchi 08-07-2010 04:34 AM

had my first ride with the rear adjusted last night. wow man,night and day. i thought the bike handled well before, last night it was a whole new beast. its so fast to turn in. on the road little steering input gets her leaned right over. amazing. a proper rear shock is in my very near future. :D

1971allchaos 08-07-2010 07:47 AM

Confused, Newbie- Read all of this and post a threory-
Reading that you can run a B.Ax on the rear with 28psi. is suprising ! Traction must be the main objective, couldn't be milage on the tire.
If you want traction- Feed your wife-or date a heavier girlfriend. Ha Ha

nath981 08-07-2010 09:17 AM

well, depends on weight and ambient temp and the type of riding you're are goin to do. If it's hot, like 90 degrees, the pavement is hotter yet, 28 lbs will quickly turn into 32-34 which is enough to get you good traction. If it's colder, I start with 32lbs. for twisties. If you're hauling a pass or significant weight, or traveling predominantly straight roads, increase pressure accordingly. Subjective shit, so to each his own.

uchi 08-07-2010 09:52 AM

I'm at 32 cold in the rear. She felt great last night very solid. But I also turned up the suspension too

uchi 08-07-2010 12:46 PM

well when i ran my bt021st rear last year at 40ish psi cold it would come out in corners. happened a few times. aired down to 36 and it stopped coming out. as for the air pressure debate, ive talked to guys who race semi pro and ive got a friend who tests bikes for big companies and they will tell you to air down for the track. especially the rear, too little air in the front and the bike will feel un stable, but in the rear guys are running 26-28 psi cold, and that comes from some of the fastest lap holders at local tracks. but to each their own. run what works for you. if you do lots of hiway riding and lots of straight line air the crap out of them, if like me 3/4 of your miles are spent on good fun twisty roads then theres nothing wrong with airing them down a little and having a larger contact patch. id rather wear a tire faster and have more of it touching the ground than worry about getting another month out of my tire and risking a low side. :)