General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

After several years I realize I was in denial :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 03:22 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
After several years I realize I was in denial :(

The title says it all. I demo'd a ZX-10R yesterday @ Carlisle Bikefest. The forks on the SH are well, crap. I didn't want to think of the expense of a swap, but now...

Those radial brakes were amazing. The clip-ons were dreadful. 10-15 minutes into the ride I was feeling uncomfortable. The motor was soo anemic @ low revs. Overall thumbs down. Trackdays, definitely. Street riding, absolutely not.

So I'm left with the decision, swap or rebuild?? With the swap I could eventually have 5 spoke wheels, but will my bars be lowered at all? Would the rebuild give me the compliance the 10R had and the lack of front end dive under braking? I don't want to compromise with lower clip-ons. We rode some pretty bumpy roads at the speed limit or a little above and the Kawi just soaked up the ripple.

OR do I bite the bullet and start looking for:

Last edited by Wolverine; 07-19-2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
With a good front end on, the hawk will soak up the bumps as good as any kawi... Then get a good rear shock on it and all is good... If you want radials, go for the CBR 1000RR forks... The SP1/SP2 front wheel is a bolt on for those... (for the 5 spoke approach!)

Unless you are really heavy, the stock springs would be enough in those forks... That means zero dive... Trust me, I almost hit my chin on the triple the first time expecting the bike to buck as normal... It didn't... It just stopped... The next time I had a bit more confidence... So I pulled the brakes a bit harder... And I made a looong stoppie... not my idea... The radials are brutal...

As for if your clip-ons gets lowered... That's your choice to make... Using some Helibar configurations, yes... with some others, no... I choose to use adjustable clip-ons... That way I can have any height I want as long as I dont hit the fairing...

Oh and about the rear shock... Plan that into the budget... Once you get the front sorted, you realise the rear could be substituted with a 2*4 and you wouldn't know the difference...
Old 07-19-2009, 06:58 AM
SuperSport

chickenstrip
There's a lot to be said for the SH, for sure, one of them being the easy-going motor. On the other hand, sometimes you just want to stir things up a bit.

I was impressed by the amazingly light feel of the ZX-10 when it first came out - it felt like a 600. I never got to ride one, and from what I read it sounded like the handling was a bit scary, in what appears to be a Kawasaki tradition. (Steering so quick that it cuts into riding confidence.) I can still relate to wanting ride one, though.

The Multistrada, on the other hand, looks goofy enough to make it cool, IMO. I've thought about buying one myself despite the Desmo complications and belt replacement (you can find them on Ebay for $5k - the older 1000). When I sit on them (haven't ridden one) they feel small and sporty, almost supermoto-like. I don't know how that would be for a distance if you're a few inches past 6' like me.

It's fun thinking about the possibilities.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:42 AM
MotoGP

It might have been covered in a previous post but... how much $$$ will it take to do the full swap? I would prefer that option if I can get the same height that I have with my helibars.

Tweety, can you snap some pics of your triple tree area. I'd like to see your set-up in a little more detail.

And chickenstrip, you hit the nail on the head. I see all that Ohlins jewelery and wonder, why not just get a Duc that's already full of bling ($8-9000 that's why).
Old 07-19-2009, 08:07 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
i can't get my head off the brand new 2007 cbr1000rr for $6999!
Old 07-19-2009, 08:50 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by finepooch
i can't get my head off the brand new 2007 cbr1000rr for $6999!
Test ride one pooch (for more than 20min.). I just couldn't live with the riding position of these bikes (or the anemic I4).
Old 07-19-2009, 08:58 AM
MotoGP

http://images.tweety.se/#6.0
Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
I also test rode an 06 ZX10R a few months ago and it is now in my garage. The low end of the I4 is fixed with a quick and cheap sprocket change and it handles amazing. As far as comfort the stock seat is really good but you are right, the riding position is something to be desired. I just did a trip with it from Calgary to Vancouver and back again. I put on about 2200 miles in 6 days and I have decided my winter project will be helibars. The trip going out was good but the trip back I did 12 hrs in one day and didn't want to get on again for a few days after I got home. Cost wise, after I sold my 98 hawk with 40k miles I only had to through in a grand for the 06 ninja with 4500 miles. I loved my hawk and if I could have afforded both I would have but I had to pick one and the ZX10 is a great bike.
Attached Thumbnails After several years I realize I was in denial :(-image_043.jpg   After several years I realize I was in denial :(-image_041.jpg  
Old 07-19-2009, 09:11 AM
MotoGP

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-HONDA-CBR-1...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONDA-CBR1000RR-...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/JV1405-HONDA-CBR...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/JV2626-HONDA-CBR...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/08-09-Honda-CBR-...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-07-HONDA-CBR-...3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-07-Honda-CBR1...3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/06-07-HONDA-CBR1...3286.m20.l1116

http://cgi.ebay.com/00-01-Honda-CBR-...3A1%7C294%3A50

A 10 second search counting "Buy Now" puts it at around $1000... If you shop smart and bid, taking your time you should end up at around half that... I think I ended up paying around $900-1000 with shipping across the pond and taxes...

Och and you will obviously need about a 100 small insignificant but annoying pieces aswell...
Old 07-19-2009, 09:31 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Gregw is on a distinguished road
Just for piece of mind, I rebuilt my brakes and forks I bought off Ebay. One spring was sprung and I had a leaking seal too. You can recoup some of the cost by selling the stock front end, though I have yet to do that (I'm lazy). My riding experience greatly improved with the fork swap.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:23 PM
Squid

Redone is on a distinguished road
Question

I'm not very expert on forks, take this for what's it's worth.

The biggest problems with the SH forks are:

too soft springs
too little rebound damping
overly stiff compression, maybe with a bad shape to the curve

All these can be addressed to a large degree by rebuilding the SH forks with new springs, Racetech Gold Valves on compression, and either Racetech rebound valves or a beefed up shim stack for rebound. Depending on a number of factors, that might be cheaper and/or easier, and get you most of the way there. It also might be easier to mess up the setup on a rebuild.

I'm in the midst of doing a rebuild now, but I got a deal on the Gold valves, and some helpful experts from this site guiding me on the setup. It's not that hard, but it is finicky. Lots of tiny parts, not designed to be worked on. Cleanliness is crucial, the valves are very sensitive to crud. I imagine a fork swap would be harder, but I don't know. Whether or not a fork swap would also require tuning the valves- I don't know.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:29 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
wolverine,
my buddy's got a 2006 cbr1000rr and i have tried it a couple times, including yesrerday. i liked the seat and the power. didn't like the half dead character of the engine, hated the pegs. maybe buell pegs woul help that?
i love the honda reliability.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:18 AM
MotoGP

Thanks a bunch Tweety. Basically, I would like to have my own Tweetybird. $1k isn't really that bad for that set-up. Now what can I sell to raise the money??

I wish you could directly compare a set of Hawkrider or Jamie D rebuilds because that would same me a boat load of money. What to do...
Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

Well, tweetybirds are expensive... They need food, beer and expensive toys...

Unfortunately I cant comment on a rebuilt by those masters, there is the issue of that big puddle... I have however re-built one myself with racetech springs, GW & shimstack...

That was a big step in the right direction... No dive under braking, but still a bit unsettled over quick bumps (I'm on the heavy side, so it should work considerably better on a bit lighter riders according to those that know...) And it still flexes, which is why I decided to swap it out entirely...

Last edited by Tweety; 07-20-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:06 PM
MotoGP

It looks great save for the 3 spoke wheel. Where are you experiencing flex (ie. the street, track).
Old 07-20-2009, 12:24 PM
MotoGP

With the rebuilt fork it flexed in about every turn for me... And I was half decided to buy a brace, when I decided I wanted radial brakes instead...

With the CBR front end it doesnt flex... Not even close to... It's solid... Very confidence inspiring...

3 spoke vs 5/6... Actually with those beefy 320 mm discs you don't see much of the spokes... But as I said... The RC51 SP1/SP2 wheels are a direct bolt on... just use the CBR's brake discs...

I'm tempted to stick a pair of SP2 wheels on mine when it's time for new rubber (the SP2 rear is 6")... I have the SP2 rear on the shelf... Would just need a matching front...
Old 07-20-2009, 12:30 PM
MotoGP

I'm also sorely tempted by a pair of forged magnesium one's a freind has "left over" since he binned his CBR at the track a month or so ago, and replaced it with a GSXR... But that's an entirely other story...

BTW rhe reason behind the 3 spoke CBR wheels are that they are the lightest OEM Honda wheels possible... To have less unsprung weight you need to cash out for aftermarket wheels... (Yes even the pretty 5 spoke wheels are actually heavier... )

Last edited by Tweety; 07-20-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:26 AM
MotoGP

After many hours using the search, off to ebay I go. I don't have the money for everything right now but I'm lookin' for killer deals. I'm thinkin' 1000RR forks. Will 08-09's give me any issues?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:56 AM
MotoGP

Nope... They should all work nicely...

Just keep in mind that the triple from the CBR 1000RR doesen't work too well, it's a lot easier to use a 929/954 triple...
Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 AM
MotoGP

Thanks Tweety. You give a lot to this forum, and I thank you for that.
I'm eye'n a full set-up off a 8-9 1000RR and a local auction for RC51 legs only. They will probably go for more than I can spend. But now I have the itch, I'll be looking regularly.