General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Adventure Hawk back on the drawing boards

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Back Marker

Tom Blum is on a distinguished road
Adventure Hawk back on the drawing boards

I took the Hawk up to S.E. Ohio last weekend. On a ride in West Va. I had a wreck.

Came into a corner too fast (following the leader and didn't catch him slamming downshifts for a hard lefthander. My bad!!) . Tried to brake, rear end started to go out to left, released rear and reapplied. slid out, rear to right. Approaching shoulder and guard rail beyond that, I remember bracing for impact with the guard rail. No memory of the details after that.

The bike apparently high sided. it landed upside down against the rail. (270 degrees of rotation from position sliding in) I ended up under the rail behind the bike.

Now, GET THIS!! I had a badly bruised shoulder and chest. The bike was tipped back on it's tires.It had lots of cracked and scraped plastic, but the windscreen, which was down on the ground, wasn't broken. The superbike bars weren't bent, although the fork tubes did twist in the triple clamps. Two Qts of oil drained past the pistons. There was enough oil left to drive down the Hill into Spencer. We straightened out the forks and I rode it 100+ miles back to camp. Pretty lucky accident, all in all.

Anyway, with all the damage, I'll be going naked like I originally planned. I will add the CB1100XX tank I bought, motoX bars, and add adventure panniers. I'll post progress as it occurs.

Y'all be carefull out there
miles of smiles
Tom
Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Back Marker

blokeontheend
Ouch! Glad u r OK! Enough of the accidents people...it's getting into my head and I ride like an old woman now! Good luck with the Adventure Hawk and be sure to post lots of pics. Thx.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:06 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by blokeontheend
Ouch! Glad u r OK! Enough of the accidents people...it's getting into my head and I ride like an old woman now! Good luck with the Adventure Hawk and be sure to post lots of pics. Thx.
+1 I feel the same way...
Old 06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Back Marker

Chitownson is on a distinguished road
I've almost been sucked into a corner too quick a number of times following some freinds I ride with on Ducatis - (There but for the grace of god go I) The fact a Honda can take a hit and still be rideable speaks volumes about the way their built. I bought two salvage Hondas that i fixed up myself -only needed cosmetics and minor tweaking to get back on the road. I had a Harley I was in an accident with (lady in a chevy turned in front of me) the Harley folded it's frame - almost $9,000 for the insurance to fix and 10 months in the shop. Never had a desire to own one of those overpriced tractors again.

I hear beer helps the body to heal.....
Old 06-26-2007, 03:44 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I hear a lot of people reporting cooler than normal temperatures around the country. I wonder if the weather has something to do with this rash of get-offs lately. We have had it very rainy in Central Texas since Christmas and it's even worse now. Get this. . . Monday 80% chance, Tuesday 60%, through Thursday 60% then 40-50 through the weekend. And we're having major downpours that leave puddles and runoff for hours after the event. We had a shower at the nursery yesterday that lasted for an hour and a half and was running at about 3" per hour. I saw a MR2 hit a puddle sending a rooster tail 4-5 yards in the air and hydo-locked the engine. Steam just poured out as it came to a very sudden stop - if front of me.

I'm very glad you weren't hurt worse. Certainly it could have been! I go back to the Hurt Report posted here recently and think about the parameters of a wreck. ALL the parameters that come together to cause a wreck is a very complex interplay of events and forces. The only way to protect yourself against the wreck is to minimize the parameters that lead up to it.

The kid and I went out with the bikes this weekend - had a great ride but had another idiot in a cage jump out of nowhere from the right - this time backing out of a drive - both of us came to a "rushed" slowdown allowing the cager to drive away in front of us and whole ******* car-load was laughing. Junior, hand me my launcher. . .

No matter what you do - it's going to happen. The more you race (or push it) on public road ways it's going to happen more. I think I would rather take on an Isuzu Trooper than a guardrail.