SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/)
-   -   43 tooth rear sprocket rocks (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/general-discussion-30/43-tooth-rear-sprocket-rocks-16827/)

tapatio 11-23-2008 04:54 PM

43 tooth rear sprocket rocks

I just installed new sprockets and a new chain. I decided to go with a 43 tooth in the rear. Man, definitely worth it. It wheelies in first effortlessly. Second gear comes in with a vengeance. If you have a stock rear sprocket, I recommend the "upgrade". Oh, and I still cruise on the freeway at 80mph no problem.

Tapatio

ziptie_1000 11-23-2008 05:03 PM

I ran a stock front a 45 tooth rear....made first gear pretty much useless an second gear wheelies at 6000 ride em through 3rd an cruise at about 80-100 fun shit!! But as for the post i second the upgrade, you wont regret it!! :) -jon-

cameron 11-23-2008 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by tapatio (Post 189721)
I just installed new sprockets and a new chain. I decided to go with a 43 tooth in the rear. Man, definitely worth it. It wheelies in first effortlessly. Second gear comes in with a vengeance. If you have a stock rear sprocket, I recommend the "upgrade". Oh, and I still cruise on the freeway at 80mph no problem.

Tapatio

iminterested in this sprocket change as i will need chain and sprockets soon. my question is at what rpm are you running at 70-75mph?

skokievtr 11-23-2008 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by cameron (Post 189752)
iminterested in this sprocket change as i will need chain and sprockets soon. my question is at what rpm are you running at 70-75mph?

Don't go with more than a 43T and OE 16 front; you'll run 4% higher rpm in every gear.

Caffeine 06-22-2013 07:17 PM

is everything still linear? by changing the rear sprocket (using a gear calculator online) it shows that at 15mpg 41 =2395rpm, 43 = 2512rpm (difference of 117rpm) where as at 60mph 41= 9581 and 43 = 10049rpm (difference of 467 rpm) so the rpm does not climb linearly.. would that mean that the speedometer would also not climb linear.. or am I overthinking this and the differece is so minimal that I wouldn't really notice the non linearitly..
Why I ask is because I was thinking of using a gps and lable maker to correct the speedometer.. cheaper then a speed healer ;)

storm_rider 07-17-2013 12:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I really like the 44T rear sprocket upgrade. More grunt! :cool:

Attachment 23375

Tweety 07-17-2013 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Caffeine (Post 357522)
is everything still linear? by changing the rear sprocket (using a gear calculator online) it shows that at 15mpg 41 =2395rpm, 43 = 2512rpm (difference of 117rpm) where as at 60mph 41= 9581 and 43 = 10049rpm (difference of 467 rpm) so the rpm does not climb linearly.. would that mean that the speedometer would also not climb linear.. or am I overthinking this and the differece is so minimal that I wouldn't really notice the non linearitly..
Why I ask is because I was thinking of using a gps and lable maker to correct the speedometer.. cheaper then a speed healer ;)

You are definetly over thinking it... ;)

First, that's a very theoretical calculation you have there... The difference of a worn tire makes a noticable difference on the figures for instance... So, from new to worn, it affect's your speed vs your speedo enough to in theory get a ticket for it... Bone stock, nothing changed...

Second, the speedo isn't truly linear to begin with, and has a different error at differnt speeds, to never "decieve" you into breaking the law...

Third, the difference of 117 to 467 rpm is "huge" in terms of written numbers... But on a dial gauge at 60 mph it's a friggin small one, let me tell you...

But still, trying to use a label maker, you will most likely get a very peculiar looking speedo, with rather odd numbers, so I doubt it will be very user friendly, or intuitive to read... I'd say the $70 a SpeedoDRD costs is well worth it...

Letsrideinsc 07-17-2013 12:34 PM

I've got to chime in here, I've had the 15 -43 going for 20,000miles, got really used to it. Just swapped everything back to OEM, and wow it's so much smoother and my gas mileage increased by 5 -10 miles to the tank. Just filled up with 117 on the trip meter.

BUT! I don't really care for it...Why, because I ride pretty aggressive and noticed that my style of riding uses the engine as a brake combined with lever. 15-43 runs the higher RPM throughout the gears obviously, thus more engine braking.

Relearning the OEM 16-41 gears: I'm finding myself nowadays entering corners a bit hot, on the brakes much harder, due to the RPM's being lower and me maintaining my usual aggressive riding pace. I'm switching back to a 43 rear when I have the money, but keeping the 16t front.soon.

It's a much tamer beast with OEM gearing.

Letsrideinsc 07-17-2013 12:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
a pic...or it didn't happen, right?

jerryh 07-17-2013 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Letsrideinsc (Post 359076)
I've got to chime in here, I've had the 15 -43 going for 20,000miles, got really used to it. Just swapped everything back to OEM, and wow it's so much smoother and my gas mileage increased by 5 -10 miles to the tank. Just filled up with 117 on the trip meter.

BUT! I don't really care for it...Why, because I ride pretty aggressive and noticed that my style of riding uses the engine as a brake combined with lever. 15-43 runs the higher RPM throughout the gears obviously, thus more engine braking.

Relearning the OEM 16-41 gears: I'm finding myself nowadays entering corners a bit hot, on the brakes much harder, due to the RPM's being lower and me maintaining my usual aggressive riding pace. I'm switching back to a 43 rear when I have the money, but keeping the 16t front.soon.

It's a much tamer beast with OEM gearing.

I may be interested in your stock sprockets if you'll cut a deal. You could use the cash towards regear

Letsrideinsc 07-17-2013 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by jerryh (Post 359084)
I may be interested in your stock sprockets if you'll cut a deal. You could use the cash towards regear

Right on, will be a while tho.

jerryh 07-17-2013 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Letsrideinsc (Post 359085)
Right on, will be a while tho.

I dont get notified of messages on this board so text me when you want to discuss 865-964-1145

Caffeine 07-17-2013 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 359072)
You are definetly over thinking it... ;)

First, that's a very theoretical calculation you have there... The difference of a worn tire makes a noticable difference on the figures for instance... So, from new to worn, it affect's your speed vs your speedo enough to in theory get a ticket for it... Bone stock, nothing changed...

Second, the speedo isn't truly linear to begin with, and has a different error at differnt speeds, to never "decieve" you into breaking the law...

Third, the difference of 117 to 467 rpm is "huge" in terms of written numbers... But on a dial gauge at 60 mph it's a friggin small one, let me tell you...

But still, trying to use a label maker, you will most likely get a very peculiar looking speedo, with rather odd numbers, so I doubt it will be very user friendly, or intuitive to read... I'd say the $70 a SpeedoDRD costs is well worth it...

Thanks Tweety.. it's been about 3 weeks now and I can honestly say all your info is bang on! basicly I just -10km/h from what I read and I am close enough.. gets closer to 13km/h when up around 120 km/h. used a gps to compare.

so on to my findings.. ya the front end tosses up pretty effortlessly in 1st. 6th gear is now the gear I ride in when cruising down the highway at 120 = 75miles.. over that the rpm does start to climb so if you cruise over 75 most of the time you may loose to fuel economy.. on the other side lower end is much improved! FUN factor increased! PS.. still can't wheelie in 2nd.. may just be me.