200 bhp V-twin anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
200 bhp V-twin anyone?

Link posted on the vtr1000.org site:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Supercharged-T...item41558357ca

and here it is mounted in the chassis. Pretty sweet!!!!
Attached Thumbnails 200 bhp V-twin anyone?-0710_sam.jpg  

Last edited by mikstr; 01-03-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:55 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
yes, please
Old 01-03-2011, 08:38 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Definetely ranks up there as one of the coolest bikes I've ever seen. Just wow...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:46 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I'll take two...
Old 01-03-2011, 09:50 AM
SuperSport

1971allchaos is on a distinguished road
If you go to the Flea-bay auction, read the description- How difficult would it be to convert that set-up to a Honda v-twin?
Or would the turbo set-up be the ticket?
Of course if -money was plentiful, and you had all the source to do either up-grade?

Last edited by 1971allchaos; 01-03-2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:55 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Just turbo your bike. It's cheaper, and I bet you can make the same or more power. I know the ZRX gets to 250hp turbo'ed
Old 01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
MotoGP

Sorry Just Nick...

But nope, you don't make more power out of the VTR engine with turbo than an SC... The SC can infact make more power out of any engine without breaking it... The reason being constant load vs peak load... A turbo is more likely to break stuff simple because it bounces around from peak to no load...

But neither is a cheap or easy option... And neither is really useful considering the frame and other components can handle about 130 bhp, or around 150 with a lot of bracing... After that you get a bike that is more or less unrideable...

I have ridden an Aprilia Mille with an SC and about 210-220 bhp some miles, and a turbo'ed busa with around 600 bhp even more miles... Both are on the limits on what each respective frame can handle... Both are far sturdier than the VTR... Both have a bit more lazy geometry...

But for manufacturing, not thinking about the practical ascpects of riding the thing... Well... Give me a few weeks and I'll ship you a SC kit for the VTR... I have the tools and I have an SC lying around... I'd probably gear that SC to get roughly 160 bhp at redline...

(And yes, I have done the research... I'm tempted, but so far the saner part of my brain has won the shouting matches... Since this is a novel and previously untested condition, nobody knows how long it will last... )

Last edited by Tweety; 01-03-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:37 AM
SuperSport

quote from Tweety// Well... Give me a few weeks and I'll ship you a SC kit for the VTR... I have the tools and I have an SC lying around... I'd probably gear that SC to get roughly 160 bhp at redline...
What does the SC kit cost for a VTR?
Old 01-03-2011, 11:43 AM
MotoGP

Well... the easy answer... A Lot!... If you really are serious, I'll think about it... I can build it... That's the easy part, getting the time to do it is the hard part...
Old 01-03-2011, 01:29 PM
SuperSport

Time is hard to find, Everywhere... I would be interested, Given the ballpark price of dollars to fabricate the set-up. Never been afraid of pulling those 60hr weeks to finance the next FUN ride..
Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
Sorry Just Nick...

But nope, you don't make more power out of the VTR engine with turbo than an SC... The SC can infact make more power out of any engine without breaking it... The reason being constant load vs peak load... A turbo is more likely to break stuff simple because it bounces around from peak to no load...

But neither is a cheap or easy option... And neither is really useful considering the frame and other components can handle about 130 bhp, or around 150 with a lot of bracing... After that you get a bike that is more or less unrideable...

I have ridden an Aprilia Mille with an SC and about 210-220 bhp some miles, and a turbo'ed busa with around 600 bhp even more miles... Both are on the limits on what each respective frame can handle... Both are far sturdier than the VTR... Both have a bit more lazy geometry...

But for manufacturing, not thinking about the practical ascpects of riding the thing... Well... Give me a few weeks and I'll ship you a SC kit for the VTR... I have the tools and I have an SC lying around... I'd probably gear that SC to get roughly 160 bhp at redline...

(And yes, I have done the research... I'm tempted, but so far the saner part of my brain has won the shouting matches... Since this is a novel and previously untested condition, nobody knows how long it will last... )
Not saying that a SC won't make more HP, but I'm saying that you could turbo a bike and make more HP than that SC TL1k engine is making.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Just_Nick
Not saying that a SC won't make more HP, but I'm saying that you could turbo a bike and make more HP than that SC TL1k engine is making.
Agreed... But what's the point? The VTR frame can handle 130-150 bhp, and the crank starts splitting at around those numbers too...

An SC can push the VTR engine to that number and beyond... What point is a turbo that can potentially give you a higher output than what starts breaking stuff?

Is it cheaper, no not really... Easier, nope... More reliable, hell no...

A turbo can pump out more hp out of the same engine for sure, but at the cost of breaking stuff, an SC can however push marginally more without loosing reliability... And also the linear nature makes it more rideable and controllable in most situations... The downside being that it might be less exhilarating than the turbo'ed bike to ride... No boost coming on at certain RPM's...

The only valid argument for a turbo instead of an SC, well besides bling-bling, would be that you know more about turbo's and prefer to go with what you know...

BTW, case in point... Turbo'ed busa... 600+ at the rear wheel... The engine can handle it, the frame can handle it, and all other components... The only component not up to spec is the rider... Ie me... Trust me, the moments where I dare to turn the boost up, and give it close to full throttle are very, very far between, and mostly consists of dragstrips... Full boost at any other place than that is borderline insane... That thing doesn't accelerate down a straight, it teleports to the braking point or just beyond...

I have done so many corners on the verge of overshooting braking, downshifting to have revs to pull through the corner, bouncing on the verge of hitting boost midcorner, full bodyweight wrenching that thing through the corner it's not even funny... But it's all worth it the next straight when you hit warp speed and it looks like the literbike you are chasing just hit the brake...

Last edited by Tweety; 01-03-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 1971allchaos
Time is hard to find, Everywhere... I would be interested, Given the ballpark price of dollars to fabricate the set-up. Never been afraid of pulling those 60hr weeks to finance the next FUN ride..
In all seriousness, the time is just one factor... First I need to finish a few other projects, like the GPI... And then I'd have to build and test it for a couple of hundred miles or more before I'd even consider selling it as bolt on parts... And at that point the cost will be ballpark the same as just buying the cams, pistons and misc and getting the engine up to 130-140'ish bhp N/A anyways... Plus you'd still need to brace the frame, and upgrade just about any component in the handling department... Having 150'ish bhp on tap with stock VTR brakes is a really, really bad idea...

This isn't the most practical idea... I'll gladly sell you the SC though, NIB... It'll likely save me from doing something stupid, like mounting it...

I can do it, technically it's easy... Practicality, and selling it, it's a nightmare...
Old 01-03-2011, 08:54 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
Agreed... But what's the point? The VTR frame can handle 130-150 bhp, and the crank starts splitting at around those numbers too...

An SC can push the VTR engine to that number and beyond... What point is a turbo that can potentially give you a higher output than what starts breaking stuff?

Is it cheaper, no not really... Easier, nope... More reliable, hell no...

A turbo can pump out more hp out of the same engine for sure, but at the cost of breaking stuff, an SC can however push marginally more without loosing reliability... And also the linear nature makes it more rideable and controllable in most situations... The downside being that it might be less exhilarating than the turbo'ed bike to ride... No boost coming on at certain RPM's...

The only valid argument for a turbo instead of an SC, well besides bling-bling, would be that you know more about turbo's and prefer to go with what you know...

BTW, case in point... Turbo'ed busa... 600+ at the rear wheel... The engine can handle it, the frame can handle it, and all other components... The only component not up to spec is the rider... Ie me... Trust me, the moments where I dare to turn the boost up, and give it close to full throttle are very, very far between, and mostly consists of dragstrips... Full boost at any other place than that is borderline insane... That thing doesn't accelerate down a straight, it teleports to the braking point or just beyond...

I have done so many corners on the verge of overshooting braking, downshifting to have revs to pull through the corner, bouncing on the verge of hitting boost midcorner, full bodyweight wrenching that thing through the corner it's not even funny... But it's all worth it the next straight when you hit warp speed and it looks like the literbike you are chasing just hit the brake...
On the VTR, I doubt there is any point. I'd rather enjoy the ride.
On a different bike, hell yes.