General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

1999 vtr1000 exhaust

Old 05-20-2014, 11:35 PM
Squid

free2ride is on a distinguished road
1999 vtr1000 exhaust

What would be the best way to go on exhaust. i want the deep rumble ,but i dont wanna lose back presure. Would straight pipes or 2 into 1 with a small can off the bottom, be a better rought ? Thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 11:47 PM
Amateur Hour, Every Hour
Squid

TboneNast is on a distinguished road
You should buy my Two Brothers Carbon Fiber slip-ons that I just removed tonight! Pics n post tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:11 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I highly recommend NOT going straight or 2-1. Read horror stories about tuning for those before you mess with the very sensitive motor layout of the VTR. If you like messing with carbs and dynos it would be a fun project, but there's a reason Honda went with two cans: it works better.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I highly recommend NOT going straight or 2-1. Read horror stories about tuning for those before you mess with the very sensitive motor layout of the VTR. If you like messing with carbs and dynos it would be a fun project, but there's a reason Honda went with two cans: it works better.
My whole thung is the 2 huge ugly cans sticking off the side i want a slimmer look and like you said i dont wanna hassle with carbs and dynos at least not yet ...from the head down to the 2 into 2 back into 2 part is all mangled from previous owner crash ...
Old 05-21-2014, 11:28 AM
MotoGP

Here's the ******* answer: if you don't like the dual cans of thunder, buy a different bike.

In all seriousness, unless you really have some time on your hands and want a project, stick to two pipes. We have had members chop off a can and come looking for tuning and jetting tips and very little is know about how to make it work. Many people find that high-mounts fix what they find aesthetically displeasing about the stock location. If you're good with exhaust; make your own undertail setup. I honestly can't remember seeing a 2-1 setup where the owner said everything was running smooth through all the rpm's, much less a dyno cart backing a claim like this up. Most v-twins, especially the large ones (Ducatis, Suzukis, Aprillias, Hondas) , have two cans which means that this probably a basic airflow requirement across the board. An example of how simple it's not: at low rpm's, most of the exhaust gas exits out of the left can on the Superhawk, then once the rpm's and pressure increase it balances out to both cans. So it's not just a large volume requirement, but an elaborately engineered airflow that is beyond my skill to understand. That's the caution; if it doesn't scare you then post your progress with the project because many people would benefit from a good setup and would help you along the way.

Personally I like the pair of girthy jugs planted alongside the rear tire, projecting to all who care (and who don't) that this isn't a run-of-the-mill inline 4 sewing machine. It's a dragon of a dual 48mm barrel carburetor Japanese backfiring street animal, made to romp around the canyons and swallow those matte black chrome spiked bromobiles that need a landing strip to do anything impressive.

Here's the most recent with a 2-1:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...k-31819/page2/
Old 05-21-2014, 12:04 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
I say go with straight pipes. Just be sure to keep it over 4k rpm and your Nascar loving neighbors will thank you.

In all seriousness if your bike is running properly a pair of slip ons are not going to make it run like **** where you'll immediately need to run to the dyno and tear open the carbs. Yes they'll run even BETTER jetted correctly but it will still run fine in the meantime with the stock jetting. At least the 5 or 6 I've owned did... If you're looking for the wrong kind of attention and looking to **** everyone off within a square block or two run straight pipes. If you're a masochist and want to reinvent the wheel go with a 2 into 1 setup.

Last edited by captainchaos; 05-21-2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:28 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
FYI, the deep rumble is improved by bigger cans. Going straight or shorty, or using small diameter cans, like the Dan-Moto, produces a higher-pitched but louder sound, in my opinion. I have two-brothers m2's with the power tips, and I'm very happy with the sound.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Squid

Here's the ******* answer: if you don't like the dual cans of thunder, buy a different bike.

In all seriousness, unless you really have some time on your hands and want a project, stick to two pipes. We have had members chop off a can and come looking for tuning and jetting tips and very little is know about how to make it work. Many people find that high-mounts fix what they find aesthetically displeasing about the stock location. If you're good with exhaust; make your own undertail setup. I honestly can't remember seeing a 2-1 setup where the owner said everything was running smooth through all the rpm's, much less a dyno cart backing a claim like this up. Most v-twins, especially the large ones (Ducatis, Suzukis, Aprillias, Hondas) , have two cans which means that this probably a basic airflow requirement across the board. An example of how simple it's not: at low rpm's, most of the exhaust gas exits out of the left can on the Superhawk, then once the rpm's and pressure increase it balances out to both cans. So it's not just a large volume requirement, but an elaborately engineered airflow that is beyond my skill to understand. That's the caution; if it doesn't scare you then post your progress with the project because many people would benefit from a good setup and would help you along the way.

Personally I like the pair of girthy jugs planted alongside the rear tire, projecting to all who care (and who don't) that this isn't a run-of-the-mill inline 4 sewing machine. It's a dragon of a dual 48mm barrel carburetor Japanese backfiring street animal, made to romp around the canyons and swallow those matte black chrome spiked bromobiles that need a landing strip to do anything impressive.

Here's the most recent with a 2-1:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...k-31819/page2/
Ill stuck to 2 cans if i can get smaller ones without really affecting prefromance...i was thinking the style of a stock 2013 r6 location ....i paid 300 for my superhawk previous owner laid it down..tore off left side radiator and plastics..the pipe after the header pipe is mengaled along with one of the cans... I jumped on the bike thinking it wouldnt be an arm and a leg to make it ready for the road...a few more problems arrived once i got it home like a dead r/r
Old 05-21-2014, 02:31 PM
Back Marker

bmidd is on a distinguished road
I have a video on here somewhere with my D&D pipes, nice and mellow.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Squid

R/r is already being taken care of when the extra cash arrives going with the kit from roadstercycle.com...havent decided on where to buy radiator(dont trust ebay) and im gonna have to have custom vent made for radiators because i wont be running plastics...i love the look of the bike naked vs farings
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by bmidd
Old 05-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by bmidd
Send link..anything will help with my decision
Old 05-21-2014, 02:57 PM
MotoGP

Look up danmoto GP exhaust- those are very small (and loud) cans.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM
Amateur Hour, Every Hour
Squid

TboneNast is on a distinguished road
7Moore7, you made my day; hilarious.

P.S. I like girthy jugs too