General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

1000RR comparo

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Superstock

mikecronis
1000RR comparo

Anyone try out the Honda CBR 1000RR yet? How's the ride quality vs. the SHawk? There's certainly tons of differences. I suspect RR stands for "rough ride"

And what are the pros/cons on inverted forks anyway? I know with an invert-fork you get different absorbtion in turns I think, no? Mags all praise inverted forks, but what are the cons? While on the topic, my rear shock is set to the softest setting (I weigh 180lbs). Pros/cons?
Old 03-10-2006, 07:38 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I've never ridden one but I did take an *** whoppin on the track from one. It seems to have good power pretty much all around I did take him in the twisties once or twice but it seemed very capable. It is a much more specialized bike than the Hawk so comfort wasn't top priority.

As far as the inverted forks, they are much stiffer than conventional forks because the triples clamp the outer tube and not the inner pipe. There is also less of the inner pipe exposed, this causes less flex and gives the bike a more planted feel to it. You won't get bad flex from hard braking or high speed lean. I don't know of any cons other than it being too stiff for a certain bike. You can be too stiff as well as too much flex and either way can cause vibrations that can cause head shake or the bike to not track well in the corners,(keep the same line). BTW yes I do have inverted forks on mine.

On the shock it depends on the road conditions, your riding style,(aggressive, easy etc..) and if you carry a pasenger. At low speed it shouldn't be a big deal and will feel "plush" but if you start pushing it hard it won't handle well at all.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:17 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't ridden one yet. I rode a 929RR and the midrange "street power" was lazy and unimpressive. Phat torque is better for the street.

Although when riding with my friend Steve on his 1000RR he was able to outgun me effortlessly. But in the twisty stuff we were right together and he'd often let me go. Just before my crash, I let him and the 4 others in the group go.

I'll be buying a 1000RR as my next track bike, since I'm not going to give myself another chance to crash on the street. It sucked in every way!

Old 03-10-2006, 08:24 AM
MotoGP

Re: 1000RR comparo

I guess it would be too much work to put your peices back together and make that a track bike? I can't beleive your going to the dark side(I4)!!!!!! J/k when I buy my track only bike it will be an I4 as well.....maybe....just can't decide.....love tourque...but can't keep up in the straights probably a gixer 750 lots of avail. parts for it, power and quick handling.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:36 AM
SuperBike

You need to build a motor for that thing! Much less of an issue with 120HP.

I have though long and hard about rebuilding my bike. I guess I feel like I've done it, learned a lot, enoyed the hell out of it and ready to move on. If I was building another street bike it would definitely be a VTR.

I'm looking forward to learning more from my next project. I wish I could get started right now.

I have lots of VTR parts available. I'm done with the house, so I'll be getting it all detailed and sorted out. Stay tuned.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:04 AM
MotoGP

Hopefully that will be around the time I sell my house and have some money to play with. :wink: I put myself first in line.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 AM
SuperBike

I remember a comparison that Sport Rider did between the RC51 and the GSXR1000 a couple years ago.

When you compared the torque curves, you'd see that the gixxer is tuned with a really flat torque curve and made more torque throughout the RPM range and kept making it long after the RC51 ran out of RPM.

An overlay of the 1000RR and the GSXR1000 is nearly identical. So the new literbikes are no longer lacking midrange torque. That's why I need one!
Old 03-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Superstock

sprhawk neil is an unknown quantity at this point

that bike of yours looks pretty good already superhawk22 maybe you could let a new guy get some parts lol! I do not even have inverted forks yet
Old 03-10-2006, 04:31 PM
MotoGP

Well you can have those evrything else is mine..mine....I say Mine! J/k I probably won't have the money when he's selling anyway just seems to be the way with us. Oh but thanks for the complement anyway. :wink: Frankenhawk is blushing.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:27 AM
Squid

DavidH1172

Here's a pic with my bike and my girlfriend's brother's bike in our garage. His is in the background where it should be. LOL. I'm not much of an expert since I've only been ridin about 2000 miles total in my life. My hawk is my first bike. I have ridden his though and while I'm not experienced enough to know much about suspension, I do know about speed, and that Motherfkn thing is fast. I was doing 60 mph on the freeway and twisted the throttle halfway and the speedo was going up in increments of 5-7 mph all the way up to 100 and then my ********* shrunk up and I had to slow down.

David Hill
Old 03-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Squid

DavidH1172
If you look all the way to the back on the previous picture, there is a tore down Honda 919. He open it up in mid-turn and ended up driving in a ditch about a half-block before it went down. So what does he do after he gets back on his feet two months after breaking his ankle in said ditch? Buys a 2005 CBR 1000RR. Go figure.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Superstock

Sgt Rock is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by RCVTR";p=&quot
I have lots of VTR parts available. I'm done with the house, so I'll be getting it all detailed and sorted out. Stay tuned.
Let me know if you have a lower available
Old 03-11-2006, 01:24 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road

Getting back to the original question for a moment, another advantage of USD forks is less unsprung weight.
Old 03-13-2006, 10:57 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep me posted bud t-t@shaw.ca

PS: Your shock just went in a week ago. I'm repainting the fairing and then a Tapeworks kit is going on then she's ready for pics
Old 03-13-2006, 12:47 PM
SuperBike

I have a Multitech glass lower and Sharkskinz race upper that I was going to sell together because they were both freshly painted and used for one track day only. I also have enough paint and clearcoat to do a tank and rear cowl. Coler is Honda Aegean Blue. (see "my work in progress", under "member's rides").

Hehe. I bought track bodywork so I wouldn't wreck the street bodywork if I crashed at the track. Hehe.

NOrrTH, I see you're taking advantage of the looonngass winter.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:22 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

That I am. Powder coated the swing arm with new bearings and spools; roller steering head bearings, shimmed the valves, some polishing and a lot of painting.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Squid

sfarson

Originally Posted by mikecronis";p=&quot
Anyone try out the Honda CBR 1000RR yet? How's the ride quality vs. the SHawk? There's certainly tons of differences. I suspect RR stands for "rough ride"
Have a 100RR next to the VTR in the barn. The RR would probably be the finest go fast bike I've ever been on. Settled, composed, telepathic in the curves. Hold on tight performance. Ride quality is outstanding. I would attribute some of this to its extra weight (Versus the other liters). It also does not have the comfort of the VTR or understandably, the soulful v-twin.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Multitech glass lower and Sharkskinz race upper that I was going to sell together because they were both freshly painted and used for one track day only. I also have enough paint and clearcoat to do a tank and rear cowl. Coler is Honda Aegean Blue. (see "my work in progress", under "member's rides").

Hehe. I bought track bodywork so I wouldn't wreck the street bodywork if I crashed at the track. Hehe.

NOrrTH, I see you're taking advantage of the looonngass winter.
Is that the same color as the 2003 blue Shuperhawk???

If so I want that race upper! (the lower would be cool too) Make me a deal I can't refuse.....PLEASE !!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:20 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road

That is a truly AWESOME pic! The angle and all, making me weak in the knees, lol

Nice bike

Mikstr
Old 03-16-2006, 07:40 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Bill haven't you spent enough on your bike? You could have bought a 1000rr already with the mods you've done!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:57 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

drooling over the 1000RR.....Starlight, Star bright, give me that bike tonight.....Nice.....
Old 03-16-2006, 09:02 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
Bill haven't you spent enough on your bike?
Damn Loco....I HATE it when you're right

Found out the guy at Oak Hill frowns on bikes with street plastics even of you have your CMRA license.
Looking for a work around
Old 03-16-2006, 09:07 AM
SuperSport

You could have bought a 1000rr already with the mods you've done!
But it's NOT a V Twin

Now an RC51 I might consider or maybe Jose's 999R....
Old 03-16-2006, 12:09 PM
MotoGP

[quote="CNI Dawg";p="18862"]
Is that the same color as the 2003 blue Shuperhawk???
If so I want that race upper! (the lower would be cool too) Make me a deal I can't refuse.....PLEASE !!!!
Back off Bill, didn't you read the previous posts it's mine all mine!! Everybody else can go to hell too!
Old 03-16-2006, 12:11 PM
MotoGP

Bill haven't you spent enough on your bike? You could have bought a 1000rr already with the mods you've done!
When is enough......I don't think I've gotten there yet.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:23 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Back off Bill, didn't you read the previous posts it's mine all mine!! Everybody else can go to hell too!
OK, OK, Gollum.....it's yours
But I got 2nd chance

Well at least you have finally seen the light....BLUE IS FASTER !

So you are not going to bid on the red & black one on ebay?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:23 PM
MotoGP

Sorry I had a spaz fit there, I thought the blue might slow me down a little but I'd get past it. :wink: We'll see when he puts 'em up....I'm on a wife restriction from parts right now too. Ebay...hmm...no...must resist...must stop the urge.....
Old 03-16-2006, 06:10 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
Sorry I had a spaz fit there, I thought the blue might slow me down a little but I'd get past it. :wink: We'll see when he puts 'em up....I'm on a wife restriction from parts right now too. Ebay...hmm...no...must resist...must stop the urge.....
Just remind her who brings home thebacon, and that you will buy whatever the hell you please....theb run.......
Old 03-16-2006, 06:18 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by cliffhangerstx";p=&quot
Just remind her who brings home thebacon, and that you will buy whatever the hell you please....theb run.......

You forget....we must sleep sometime....that is when they attack!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Well mine brings home the bacon, so I would never say that to her, I was just making a suggestion to super22, I mean if he were a real man he would stand up to her.....lol....he he

Quick Reply: 1000RR comparo