Forum Feedback Post tips, comments, problems, requests pertaining to the Forums.

Need help with my forum account!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:13 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Need help with my forum account!

Somewhere in my account settings I switched it to a mobile or small screen view, and now the site is inaccessible from any computer when I am logged in!!!

For some reason the site is repeatedly redirecting to itself.

I can access it via iPhone using the new mobile theme, but nothing else.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:52 PM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
I think...

Go to User CP,
then Edit Options (under the Settings & Options section) ,
then Miscellaneous Options (at the bottom) and
change the Forum Skin to default.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 PM
Superstock

I know where the setting is but I can't get there. I am posting from my iPhone which is using a pared down mobile site with no control panel.

When I try to log in from ANY normal computer, the site breaks. Something in that simplified theme I applied is messed up and causes the site to endlessly redirect to itself.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 PM
Mid-level Member
Superstock

fred
ping Greg Nemish. he'll fix it for you.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:48 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
On the computer where you did that, go to settings and select "Remove all cached item's"... including cookies and whatever... That clears it... Greg can't fix it for you, since it's in the browser cache....
Old 05-01-2011, 06:44 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Tweety
On the computer where you did that, go to settings and select "Remove all cached item's"... including cookies and whatever... That clears it... Greg can't fix it for you, since it's in the browser cache....
Hi Tweety,
It's not in the browser cache... It's in my account settings on the server. I've tried to log in from more than one computer and it breaks each time. Deleting cache and cookies only logs me out. Once I log in I am back in the redirect loop.

It is really the skin that is broken, but it renders my account unusable on any computer (aside from this phone which is on the mobile theme)
Old 05-01-2011, 08:24 AM
MotoGP

Then on the phone, just scroll to the bottom, select "Normal Version" and you have access to all options... Then you can go to the options, and de-select the preference to have the mobile theme as your default...

The theme isn't broken, it's just not working on a non-mobile device, which it shouldn't really...
Old 05-01-2011, 08:30 AM
Superstock

This phone is theonly way I have left to post and if I switch it to the full site I suspect the same issue will occur.

An endless series of redirects does mean the skin is broken. That shouldn't happen regardless of the browser/device.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 AM
MotoGP

I can tell you from checking just now, that it won't break... But it's your choice... I managed the same a couple of days ago, when i selected the skin as default on my account...

The thing is, the skin is not broken... It's just not supposed to be used as a default theme... And the forum software have no way of handling that built in... The theme's creator explicitly warn you from selecting it as default on his webpage with information... I found that out as I researched this when i had problems...

So if you set it as default, the forum software screws up, since it get's the signal to default to a default theme since the computer can't view the mobile theme, and since the default is the mobile theme, the loop starts... Ie, don't set it too default, an all is fine... If you prefer to point fingers, point fingers at the software giys of the forum, not being able to separate mobile theme's from non-mobile...
Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Squid

Angry-Olaf is on a distinguished road
Tweety - I am not trying to point fingers. I simply want to get my account working. (I will use this temp account in the meantime.)

I am also not crying out for help without thoroughly troubleshooting my issue first. I work in web design so it's not like I don't have a good grasp of how the site works or what is happening.

I did go ahead and try to get to the full version control panel from my iPhone and this failed as well. Even after clearing cache, cookies and history + restarting the phone... I am unable to get out of the mobile theme while logged in and cant access the settings in the control panel.

This really is something that can only be fixed by an admin or someone with direct access to the server database. Also - A theme that is this device-dependent and breaks the website for standard browsers should never have been installed, and really should be removed.

As an aside, I am beginning to suspect that there might be two mobile themes at work compounding my issue. The skin I selected from my iPad that started this whole fiasco being the older one, and the mobile theme that detects my iPhone and loads being a newer feature.
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 AM
Superstock

OK!
Found a way to fix it... had to type the exact URL from the control panel edit options page (from my new temp account) into my phone which was logged into my real account.

I do take back what I said about needing an admin, but this is still F'd up and should be fixed.

If anyone else runs into this problem in the future here is the URL to use from a mobile device to correct the setting (so you don't need to create a temp account to find it):

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...do=editoptions