Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Will my helmet be allowed to race?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Superstock

pwshadow is on a distinguished road
Will my helmet be allowed to race?

I am planning to go to the drag strip a few times this summer. I know they inspect all of your gear. Well I dropped my helmet right on the top and a chuck of paint cracked off. There is no damage to the actuall shell. Do you think the track officials will let me race with it?
Old 04-24-2012, 09:49 AM
Superstock

blamecanada is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by pwshadow
Well I dropped my helmet right on the top and a chuck of paint cracked off. There is no damage to the actual shell.

Helmets are single-use, unless you can say the same of your brain, you should probably get another one...
Old 04-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Depends on how strict they are. For drag racing, it might not be so bad, but it wouldn't pass tech for a roadrace. I dragrace in jeans and a flip-up Shoei that would not be allowed for roadracing either. Put a sticker or decal over the damaged area.
On the other hand, You can get a race worthy Scorpion helmet for ~$150. Just because you can't tell if the helmet is damaged doesn't mean it is not structurally damaged and could fail miserably when you need it most. There aren't many/any crashes at my local dragstrip, so the risk is minimal, less than even riding it on the street in my opinion.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:59 PM
Superstock

My helmet just fell off my bike while I was getting my gear on so I doubt it's compromised. The track I live by requires full leathers for certain trap speeds so I might just put a decal over the area
Old 04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Drag racing? These bikes were meant for turns! They would probly let you wear a half-shell.

Seriously, like RZ said it would not pass any roadrace tech. Theoreticly, it couldve comprimised the ingegrity, but its your head/ your call. At least sticker it, make it a high tensile strength sticker though.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
make it a high tensile strength sticker though.
lol
Old 04-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Drag racing? These bikes were meant for turns! They would probly let you wear a half-shell.

Seriously, like RZ said it would not pass any roadrace tech. Theoreticly, it couldve comprimised the ingegrity, but its your head/ your call. At least sticker it, make it a high tensile strength sticker though.
I agree the superhawk is not for drag racing. I will actually be riding my zx14.

Seriously though, it only fell 2 and a half maybe 3 feet. Do you really think a drop like that would affect it that much?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:18 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Serioulsly, in 11 yrs of racing I have raced on high tensile stickers many times.

The manufacters have to say no cuz then they are safe and selling 10 times the helmets. (ever hear of apply, lather rinse REPEAT? it doubled revenue in a week)

You should see what tire makers say. Never plug a tire, dont repair it in any way.

What is the helmet made out of? Newer plastics and composites are way more durable.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:27 AM
Superstock

Carbon fiber I think. It's a scorpion exo 1000
Old 04-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Superstock

Will a mountain dew sticker work? Or do you think I should use a stronger sticker like a Redbull sticker?
Old 04-25-2012, 10:41 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
When I was selling gear the top manufacturers of helmets told us 4 foot drop or more throw it away. It's not the shell you have to worry about, it's the liner, if that get compressed it can't do it's job of absorbing the blow because it is now a harder material.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM
MotoGP

Oh and just FYI your scorpion is a fiberglass and kevlar shell.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superhawk22
When I was selling gear the top manufacturers of helmets told us 4 foot drop or more throw it away.
I've been curious about this... is that with or without weight or a head in the helmet? Because it seems that there wouldn't be much pressure to compress the liner without some kind of weight in it... but that's just speculation on my part...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I have actually seen a helmet been dropped from 4 feet, and then sawed in half on a factory demo... While it didn't make a big dent, there was a visible mark on the shell, and a clearly visible "flat" spot on the outside of the liner, when compared to a new one... That foam in there is really, really soft, and it's "one use" only, really...

I doubt it will make a difference of life and death with one such knock, hopefully you wont impact the exact same spot... But it does impact how well the helmet protects you, and two or three such knocks, and you probably should swap the helmet...

Not just a marketing and sales pitch, but actual truth... But one dent, well... Use your own judgement...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:40 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 7moore7
I've been curious about this... is that with or without weight or a head in the helmet? Because it seems that there wouldn't be much pressure to compress the liner without some kind of weight in it... but that's just speculation on my part...
That is without weight, as Tweety said that liner is really soft and doesn't take much to compact, chances are you won't hit it but do you want to take that chance....your call.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM
MotoGP

Btw most reputable manufacturers will inspect your helmet for free but if it's no good you won't get it back.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:31 PM
Superstock

It fell off my seat so I think I am gonna chance it until I get some cash to buy a new one. Thanks for all the info!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 PM
MotoGP

Off the seat shouldn't compromise the integrity but whatever makes you secure is the best answer and that is one heavy helmet, not a bad helmet just HEAVY just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
From the Snell Memorial Foundation site:
"I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?"

Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one-use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied, the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general, the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Squid

semery98 is on a distinguished road
pwshadow,

Since you got rid of your Hawk, and are now riding a zx14, you should cover the scratch with a plastic mohawk.
Old 04-25-2012, 03:02 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by semery98
pwshadow,

Since you got rid of your Hawk, and are now riding a zx14, you should cover the scratch with a plastic mohawk.
Well look who decided to make his 10th post today. And to think you only joined the forum a month BEFORE I did.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:15 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 7moore7
I think you hit the nail on the head there. (no pun intended) The one time use is with a head in it. The inner lining may be soft but it's there to slow down the weight of your head. Just dropping a helmet may nick and scratch the paint but it's not going to destroy the helmet unless it's thrown down or dropped from a high distance where it fractures the outside of the helmet.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:31 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by GTS
I think you hit the nail on the head there. (no pun intended) The one time use is with a head in it. The inner lining may be soft but it's there to slow down the weight of your head. Just dropping a helmet may nick and scratch the paint but it's not going to destroy the helmet unless it's thrown down or dropped from a high distance where it fractures the outside of the helmet.
Slowing down your head is THE MOST important part of your helmet not that the shell isn't important but the e p s liner is just as if not more important.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:20 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
If you read my post above... 4 feet, hardwood floor... The result on the liner was a flatspot about half the size of my hand, about a 1/4 of an inch taken out of the thickness at the highest point of the curve... And that was without a head inside... In terms of physics, I think they said it was equivalent to roughly 15-20% loss of protection from the foam in that spot...

Basically, the shell is so flexible that you usually cant tell if it's been compressed, unless there are scratches, it just flexes back... It's not going to "crack", or dent, or similar unless you really bash it against something... And that point you might as well take the liner out and just wear the shell, since that's going to be about the same in terms of safety...
Old 04-25-2012, 11:33 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
It would be interesting to see that but seat height is what 2.5'? There is a huge difference between the speed of the helmet from 2.5' and 4'. The post wtih the info from the helmet inspector says too that they can actually sustain a pretty good amount of impact without doing any serious dammage.