Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Why the California Highway Patrol is a big scam...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 03:02 PM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Why the California Highway Patrol is a big scam...

1. The CHP sets up at the bottom of hills and write tickets for speeding. You get one. No warning.

2. They "forget" to send you the notice in the mail. This buys them time.

3. Eventually you think, "Damn, I got that ticket 8 weeks ago, but they haven't sent me the notice on how much to pay and options for traffic school."

4. Now you have to call the courthouse to determine the ticket amount.

5. The courthouse has a recorded message that they have "unusually high call volume at this time" every time you call, any time of day. No option to leave a message or hold either. And I think they're closed every other Friday due to state furloughs.

6a. You don't know how much to pay, and fail to pay the ticket on time, they add a $300 "civil assessment" in addition to the mystery amount, and still don't send you a notice. Next time you get pulled over you discover you have a warrant for your arrest and your driver's license has been revoked.

6b. You take the day off work to drive to the courthouse to pay in person, the line is out the door. The parking lot is packed. You park your bike in the white cross hatched area in the corner of the lot and wait for hours on end.

7. You get a parking ticket.

Repeat process.

I'm on step 5 right now, have called them on 3 different days at 3 different times, and gotten the same message.

Last edited by CentralCoaster; 09-11-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Left CA in 1985.. I miss the mountains, I miss the Beach, .. pftttttttt I get that else ware.. I may visit my old home and those I left behind where I grew up.. But CA it's policies and government,, Nope not interested.

Best of luck getting the ticket fixed... CA is broke, they could really use the help.....
Old 09-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
eh most CA depts are pretty lame.

the parking enforcement bureau here in LA is the WORST. they'll cruise around looking for people slipping @ 2am, they'll ticket someone for parking 10ft from a hydrant because they eyeball the distance. license plate fell off or someone stole it? yup, thats a ticket too, EVEN THOUGH YOU'RE NOT DRIVING.

guess what: no bloody appeals system! at least with a traffic ticket you can bring it to a judge, but there's no known option for that against the LAPEB. get this, i parked in westwood (kind of a downtown deal) within the space for a normal car, sharing the space with the car. in front of our space was a handicap spot. i was ticketed for parking in the handicap spot. wtf.

personally, i feel its f***ing outrageous. this is a society based on balance of law and division of power against tyranny. am i raging lunatic to expect and demand that there be a means of balance? of appeals? i dont want to bust the oversight card, but hell, in this situation is dearly needed. the LAPED doesnt report to ANYONE and they run amok. all high level managers are constantly on "vacation."
Old 09-11-2009, 03:18 PM
SuperSport

I plan on paying a lawyer $100 to make it disappear. They delay and do whatever legal tricks are allowed to get it dismissed or prevent the cop from showing.

Worst case she refunds my $100 and I pay the ticket and do traffic school.

The system is pure bullshit.

The only thing still stopping me from calling her is I have my fingers crossed that they somehow misplaced it.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:20 PM
SuperSport

WOOT WOOT! I finally got through on the phone into the automated system.

My ticket isn't in the system yet. WTF? It's been 7 weeks. Due date is in 4 more weeks.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:21 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
the failing economy has really drawn the curtain on what a scumbag organization the law enforcement in this country is. I was commenting about this on another forum too. I would rather deal with a less corrupt organization like the mob. I assume you all know how I feel about swine in the first place, but lately, they have been showing their true colors in spades. to any cops on this forum, you ride a hawk so you can't be all bad. so disregard what I say about swine from here on in. the whole structure needs to be torn down, and their policy makers need to be waterboarded for weeks. I cannot stress enough how desperately I want to see all our branches of law enforcement eat a collective dick and die! rant done.
Old 09-11-2009, 03:38 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
CHP is limited as to where they can use radar. Makes Ca. better than most states in that regard.

Personal story.

Many years ago I got a ticket from Long Beach PD. Pulled me over for splitting traffic. Asked "do you think you can just go between cars like that"?

I sez "yeah, pretty much".

He sez "we'll see about that" and goes back to his car. Looking, looking, looking in the Vehicle code.

Writes me a chickenshit ticket for "unsafe lane change". I never changed lanes. ******* didn't know the law, didn't have the honor to say he made a mistake so he wrote a bullshit ticket.

Long story short- never got a notice in the mail, cop friend sez I've got a failure to appear. Go to court, plead innocent to ticket, guilty for FTA, judge dismisses original ticket,pay $175 with no violation on my record. Effed up either way but could have been worse.

Last edited by RK1; 09-11-2009 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:22 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
They pipe your *** fees and fines and you walk away feeling good about the outcome. Only government can give you that feeling.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Superstock

swordfish, this isnt a defense of the mob in any way, but the thing with "illegitimate enterprises" and the private sector for that matter are driven by results, efficiency, getting things done. most public agencies dont have that as #1 on their mission statement, they kind of just DO stuff without any really focused aim. aim/focus of the mob? power and money. aim and focus of the biggest corps in america? power and money. aim/focus of public agencies? uh...get back to you on that, but i think they think that the people (voters) asked them to "baby sit" something. voters then never look back until something BIG happens. people could care less about what a public agency does so long as its not screwing up big time. by big time i mean some SERIOUS scandals (or entertaining ones that the media like to blow up) nobody checks up so thus you have a failed system.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
swordfish, this isnt a defense of the mob in any way, but the thing with "illegitimate enterprises" and the private sector for that matter are driven by results, efficiency, getting things done. most public agencies dont have that as #1 on their mission statement, they kind of just DO stuff without any really focused aim. aim/focus of the mob? power and money. aim and focus of the biggest corps in america? power and money. aim/focus of public agencies? uh...get back to you on that, but i think they think that the people (voters) asked them to "baby sit" something. voters then never look back until something BIG happens. people could care less about what a public agency does so long as its not screwing up big time. by big time i mean some SERIOUS scandals (or entertaining ones that the media like to blow up) nobody checks up so thus you have a failed system.
well recently, I think the police are trying hard to rival the mob on the whole money/power thing. only with the swine, its power-trip. but either way, I agree with you. and regarding big scandals, I've got one. go to msn.com and do a search on last weeks headlines. look for texas sheriff shoots fire chief in court over traffic tickets. every one of those cops needs to get limbs removed by a wood chipper. unbelievable.

Last edited by swordfish; 09-11-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Superstock

pigwings
cop hater

Originally Posted by swordfish
well recently, I think the police are trying hard to rival the mob on the whole money/power thing. only with the swine, its power-trip. but either way, I agree with you. and regarding big scandals, I've got one. go to msn.com and do a search on last weeks headlines. look for texas sheriff shoots fire chief in court over traffic tickets. every one of those cops needs to get limbs removed by a wood chipper. unbelievable.
Yup. that's a true representation of all police in this country.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54 PM
SuperSport

They need to start harvesting and selling organs from all the lowlife ***** that actually create a need for the police. Maybe they'll have a harder time beating up the convenience store clerk if they only have one lung.

I've never been arrested, and every time I've call the police, they were worthless. I'm still holding out hope they serve me some purpose at some point in life other than writing me tickets for driving on the freeway.

I may do a ride-a-long to try and build some respect. Otherwise, it's only a matter of time before I quit biting my lip and some power tripping ******* puts his knee in my back at the next traffic stop.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Squid

Phaedrus is on a distinguished road
Maybe one day I'll have the ***** to ask the cop the next time he hands me a bogus ticket without a warning; "Is it your job to 'Serve and Protect' or to 'Tax Collect'?" Or maybe; "Does your mother know what you do for a living?"

Don't get me wrong. I have the utmost respect for those officers who put their lives on the line each day to protect citizens of this country, but not for those writing tickets to hand those of us who weren't racing around or driving excessively, but maybe just going a few miles over the speed limit along with everyone else at the time. I received two of those this summer. That's not serving and protecting, it's just collecting revenue.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I have been give 3 tickets to date with "infamation of an law officer" or similar (translation)... That's their fancy way of saying I called an ******* an ******* while he was in uniform ...

Biting my lip never ever was my idea... Altough round here they can't put you in cuffs over it... Or put a knee to your back... At least not as long as I'm only verbal and to some point "polite"... Ie not screaming my head off and shake my fist...

The accompanying speeding tickets pissed me off... These I'd gladly pay twice over...
Old 09-12-2009, 01:59 PM
996 new guy
Superstock

FireRescue is on a distinguished road
just remember the magic 7 words, "I'd like to speak to my attorney"
Old 09-12-2009, 02:02 PM
996 new guy
Superstock

FireRescue is on a distinguished road
we actually had a cop on base who would, on a sunday at a very particular time, write tickets to the ONLY people who drive during that time- without fail.

Between 0700, and 0800 is when the oncoming shift starts to filter to the station, and closer to 0800 is when they are leaving... he would disappear after 8am.

I got a ticket in the firetruck for a "failure to stop- improper use of turn signal" from this same individual... FAWKED UP
Old 09-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by swordfish
well not really in Texas,, but I get your point on this one..
Police officer shoots fire chief -- in court

By JON GAMBRELL
Associated Press

</EM>
JERICHO, Ark. -- It was just too much, having to return to court twice on the same day to contest yet another traffic ticket, and Fire Chief Don Payne didn't hesitate to tell the judge what he thought of the police and their speed traps.
The response from the police? They shot him. Right there in court.
Payne ended up in the hospital, but his shooting last week brought to a boil the simmering tensions between residents of this tiny former cotton city and their police force. Drivers quickly learn to slow to a crawl along the gravel roads and the two-lane highway that run through Jericho, but they say sometimes that isn't enough to fend off the city ticketing machine.
"You can't even get them to answer a call because normally they're writing tickets," said Thomas Martin, chief investigator for the Crittenden County Sheriff's Department. "They're not providing a service to the citizens."
Now the police chief has disbanded his force "until things calm down," a judge has voided all outstanding police-issued citations and sheriff's deputies are asking where all the money from the tickets went. With 174 residents, the city can keep seven police officers on its rolls but missed payments on police and fire department vehicles and saw its last business close its doors a few weeks ago.
"You can't even buy a loaf of bread, but we've got seven police officers," said former resident Larry Harris, who said he left town because the police harassment became unbearable.
Sheriff's deputies patrolled Jericho until the 1990s, when the city received grant money to start its own police force, Martin said.
Police often camped out in the department's two cruisers along the highway that runs through town, waiting for drivers who failed to slow down when they reached the 45 mph zone ringing Jericho. Residents say the ticketing got out of hand.
"When I first moved out here, they wrote me a ticket for going 58 mph in my driveway," 75-year-old retiree Albert Beebe said.
The frequent ticketing apparently led to the vandalization of the cruisers, and the department took to parking the cars overnight at the sheriff's department eight miles away.
Anger over traffic tickets brought Payne to City Hall on Aug. 27, said his lawyer, Randy Fishman. Payne failed to get a traffic ticket dismissed; later that day, police gave him or his son a ticket. Payne, 39, returned to vent his anger to Judge Tonya Alexander, Fishman said.
Martin said an argument between Payne and the seven police officers who attended the hearing apparently escalated to a scuffle, ending when an officer shot Payne from behind.
Doctors in Memphis, Tenn., removed a .40-caliber bullet from Payne's hipbone, Martin said. The bullet grazed an officer's finger.
Martin declined to name the officer who shot Payne. It's unclear whether the officer has been disciplined.
Prosecutor Lindsey Fairley said Thursday that he didn't plan to file felony charges against the officer or Payne. Fairley said Payne could face a misdemeanor charge stemming from the scuffle, but that would be up to the judge. He said he didn't remember the name of the officer who fired the shot.
Payne remained in good condition at the Regional Medical Center at Memphis. He referred questions to his lawyer.
"I know that he was unarmed, and I know he was shot," Fishman said. "None of that sounds too good for the city to me." The mayor, the judge and the police chief have not commented publicly on the matter.

oUGHT IH,,,i TINK SOMEONES IN TROUBLE.......
Old 09-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by FireRescue
just remember the magic 7 words, "I'd like to speak to my attorney"
Which in Swedish is: "Jag vill bli representerad av en advokat."
Old 09-12-2009, 02:42 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Used to live in Thousand Oaks CA back in the late 70's. Drove around on my kz 650. I was held at gunpoint twice by the CHP and had 3 "WARRANTS" for minor traffic infractions at different times. I was broke of course, being a student and all so paying them was not easy. Each ticket was as described above by centralcoaster. The Gunpoint thing was when a friend and I were heading up the 101 wearing ski masks. Ok, not a good idea, but what thieves are going to keep their masks on while cruising up the freeway on motorcycles? It was cold! 6 yes 6 CHP surrounded us, pulled us over and held us there for an hour.....at gunpoint. (one adam twelve, one adam twelve, dog with a gun) The other time was in Pasedena for no apparent reason. Let us go after 20 minutes. That was two years of my life, all the others I somehow have managed to avoid warrants and guns back here in NY.

Last edited by JPP; 09-12-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:20 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Corporal Durnan of the Delaware State Patrol got me one morning for "RUNNING CRANK"! This dipshit was donut eating one morning at the traffic island in the middle of the highway as I came by on the ZX-7 late for a chemistry exam... as I made my way through traffic, courteously using my signal for each and every lane change, holding position in the lane for 10 seconds, (as another dipshit had written me a warning for an "unsafe lane change" as I sliced across 4 lanes in one swoop to make the exit from the 'fast lane'...) stopped at not one but TWO traffic lights and was waiting at at a THIRD when he hauled *** up, did the oh so dramatic dukes of hazzard slide into the intersection, whips out his weapon and starts maniacally screaming "YOU'RE RUNNING CRANK! YOU'RE RUNNING CRANK!! " A little shocked, I turned the bike off and started taking my gloves and helmet off. "FREEZE OR I SHOOT! GET DOWN ON THE GROUND!!!!!" By now, I'm laughing and tell him to shoot me because those are mutually exclusive statements. He's lost it completely now and starts hopping up and down. "LAY ON YOUR FACE ************!!!!!!!!!!" the apopolectic fit continues in this vein until the back up arrives and I explain to the dude what's going on and that I'm not on a Harley and never saw his *** until the Bo and Luke maneuver. Eventually after a bunch of bullshit lies from him that I was running, had crank on me, was resisting arrest (I told him I wasn't laying on the ground for a speeding ticket...) etc. I go on my way after 2 HOURS OF CRAP hand-cuffed in the back of a cruiser (and the drug dog pissing on my wheel) with a reckless driving ticket. The prof. gives me a twice as hard make up test that I barely pass. Later, as I flipped the bank calender to the new month, guess whose scowling face pops up for October? Yep, Corporal *******, turns out he's a "star narcotics interceptor BLAH BLAH BLAH". When I go to court the first 2 times he doesn't show up, he's on "important police work". The third time the DA comes up to me before session and says brusquely that he's continued it again because of the "imp..." I cut his *** off and explain the law to him with glee and he turns about face and becomes unctuosly full circle to the helpful guy cutting me break from the heinous crime of baby endangering "Reckless Driving" 's 6 points and $380 fine to the entirely reasonable "Careless driving" 's 4 points and $240 fine and all I had to do to receive this boon of happiness was plead guilty! I laughed again and said I'd wait till hell freezed over to have my day in court. Next is the offer of "Inattentive Driving" 's 2 points and $120 bucks. I tell him fine but I'm pleading nolo and he can stuff his guilty plea. This works and I'm out in 20 minutes instead of the promised 8 hours. Later that year Corporal Durnan's name caught my eye in the paper. Turns out he gets busted back to traffic trooper for racial profiling, lol! He'd sit at the tollgates and stop anyone who looked "suspicious" which meant black or brown in a nice car, evidently. I sent him a Christmas card...congratulating him on his demotion...

Last edited by LineArrayNut; 09-17-2009 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:48 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Driving north today from San Diego on the I-5 just past the Birmingham exit in North County, everyone hits their brakes. I look to the right shoulder and see a CHP motorcycle officer pointing a radar gun at the 4 lanes of traffic which were, up until a few seconds ago, going at least 10 mph over the 65 limit.

If he picked out one car, holstered his radar gun, then took off, he would have to weave through about 100 cars 4 lanes wide to get the culprit he zeroed in on.

I know the CHP has had authority to use radar for some time now, but that is the first time I've seen radar used on a freeway. Usually they just use airplanes.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:13 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

Anyone want to read about the time I totalled an FZ600 on the back of a Dekalb County Cop Car?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:26 AM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Sounds great.....
Old 09-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Superstock

hey also wanted to add that i've had an odd experience with a local PD though, not chp.

one of the headlights on my dad's car was burned out (i was driving it). i didnt realize that was the case and i was on my way home from school back to my parents house. it was late, i was tired, me and my roommate just finished finals.

so i get off the fwy, see a local PD and think nothing of it, im not doing anything wrong. well, he jumps a couple of lanes and begins to tail me and follows me for a couple of blocks, then he pulls me over JUST as i was about to pull into my friends neighborhood. made me wonder if he was debating to pull me over or not.

anyways, he states that he would respectfully like to show me the problem with my headlight, i agree and im courteous back. he then explains that it could be potentially dangerous, where drunk people might think im a motorcycle with jsut 1 headlight and pull out in front me of etc etc. im like yeah, whatever. it was my fault for not checking and making sure the headlight was working (something did seem odd while i was driving though). but hell, a warning and let-go would be great!

eh, never happened. he wrote me the fix it ticket, but the whole time he was so damn scared to give it to me, as if he felt LIKE UTTER ***** to give me a friggin fix it ticket for a blown headlight bulb that i didnt know about. this was quota season though, and i'm confident that's what he was doing.

anyways, i dont hate the guy at all. i know the ticket revenue goes to supporting the city departments, and the fact that he had to meet a quota wasn't his decision to begin with. above all, the officer was not an ******* about it in anyway form or fashion, he was probably one of the most polite people i have ever met in socal. after the ticket he sent me on my way but thanked me for being relaxed and respectful to him. (which was like $10 by mail and get it signed off by the PD--my parents live pretty close to the PD station, so they were able to do it without any issues while i was at school) to me this is what separates the LEOs i respect and the ones i have a very hard time respecting. i got a ticket, and i dont mind because i got to meet an LEO that i can have a great deal of respect for.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:56 PM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
crooked cops. we've got the rcmp.

in moncton we have constable a few years back he got busted for "showing" the ladies how, and where, to properly wear their seat belts. yeah right, he was grabbing a handful of tit. classy fella that guy (edited out name by Admin).

on the west coast they tazered a guy to death for brandishing a stapler! check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SnTRO2t9hY
Old 09-13-2009, 05:22 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

Originally Posted by JPP
Sounds great.....
i came over a hill at 60 in a 45. something i did every day coming home from a third shift job. my '86 FZ600 handled better than anything i've ever ridden - first day scraping pegs. based on a 400 japan spec bike with a dog air cooled 2 valve motor, it inspired confidence like nothing i've ever ridden. so... the two cars at a stop sign at the right hand street waited for the van in front of me to go through the intersection that i had right of way. the van in front of me braked and let off. the car on the right, seeing the van pass and NOT my motorcycle, whipped a full throttle left. i stabbed the brakes, narrowly missing the left turn bandit. after i had let off the COP CAR pulled a lazy right, evidently thinking the intersection was clear. i hammered the brakes, locked up, seeing i would not slow down fast enough, i let off and grabbed throttle to pass the fugger. at which point he slammed the brakes on. i totaled the bike on the back of a cop car, flip over the trunk, roof, hood, and fall in the road in front of the a$$hole. thankfully, he stayed on the binders. as i pick myself up, walk past the sleepy eyed, obese, and mouth breathing donut hugger, i notice that that he's putting away a flask. i hammer on the windshield, screaming for his a$$ to get out of the car. needless to say, soon many cars and a sergeant show up. the judge says "230 ft. of skid marks - guilty". the copied accident report showed a whited out smudge of the pig's BAC. not .00% like mine, a smudge. when i asked the dekalb county georgia cops for the original, they refused. cops lie to protect their own. city hall will win . condor is a rare gem amongst many bad apples. i was lucky to get a "too fast for conditions" hosing.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Back Marker

Dan Cronin is on a distinguished road
I don't remember exactly how long but in MA they have just a couple of days to get the ticket in the mail with a valid time/date stamp. Check with your lawyer. Never go to court to "find out" if they have something on you. In some states its the same as admitting guilt.

Also, check the post mark on the envelope and keep it. Wouldn't be the first time they screwed around with the mail stamp machine.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:05 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
LineArray, THAT SUCKS!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 06:08 PM
swinging member
Back Marker

lrrs195 is on a distinguished road
******* cops

About a month ago Blustreak and I were passing thru Milford, NH, on rt.13. This section of road was a big uphill, out jumps a motorcop with a radar gun, bagged 50 in a 30. He gives us both a written warning. We`re happy as it doesn`t involve any fines. As we`re putting our gear back on he pulls 3 cars over and I hear him tell the car drivers 50 in a 30, slow it down please and have a nice day. I`m thinking the guy`s just an ******* that doesn`t like bikes. Fast forward 2 weeks. Bluestreak ,my son, another buddy and myself are on the same road. We are within sight of the big hill, doing the speed limit. Suddenly blue lights. I pull over, the other 3 bikes keep going. The cop gives me another written warning.This time it`s for" FAILURE TO MAINTAIN PROPER SPEED" 29 in a 30 zone. I told the cop he needed to stop smoking crack while on duty.He told me I needed shut the **** up or he was going to arrest me for susipition of drunk driving and would have my bike towed. I reluctatly took his advise. We now give Milford,NH a wide berth while on our rides.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:42 PM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Cops totally suck.

Quick Reply: Why the California Highway Patrol is a big scam...