SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   Upper back muscles (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/upper-back-muscles-19242/)

bcwood 06-21-2009 01:08 PM

Upper back muscles

I usually get stiff muscles in my upper back at the base of the neck after an hour or 2 riding the VTR. Hurts like an SOB. I think the Hawk may not have quite as aggressive position as other bikes, but anyway, I'm in pretty good shape, I work out with weights 5 times a week, do upper body (rows, lats). I haven't tried doing neck specific exercises, but I wanted to get other's opinions/experiences.

Also - I am 6'1" tall. I work on a computer, sometimes get similar pains at work, not quite as bad

cliby 06-21-2009 01:29 PM

its from extending at the neck to see down the road. things you can do without changing a thing: be sure your helmet is adjust properly so you can look out the top of the visor hole: mover your eyes to look down the road, not your whole head; don't round your back as much when leaned over - then your head is not as low and doesn't require extending your neck as much - a more straight back starting by arching your lower back a bit. I get the same pain the first few rides on my road bicycle every year. usually it goes away with more riding, but causes a wicked headache the next day. work on back position helps. If none of that works, higher bars

killer5280 06-21-2009 01:41 PM

Stop working out. It's bad for you.:)

How long have you had the Hawk? I have found that a lot of the aches and pains from riding a new or different bike go away after my body becomes used to it.

bcwood 06-21-2009 03:55 PM

I have had it for just about a couple of months...

oahu hawk 06-21-2009 05:26 PM

had the same problem until I went with a set of GenMar risers several years back...

RK1 06-21-2009 05:31 PM

Ride with the balls of your feet on the pegs and grip the tank with your thighs. You should have next to zero weigh on hands/arms. Would help to do yoga 10 or 15 minutes a day. Cobra, neck stand, plow and spinal twist.

pigwings 06-21-2009 06:23 PM

HeliBars

Gregw 06-21-2009 06:23 PM

You got a really heavy helmet?

raptorrider 06-21-2009 06:45 PM

superbike bar conversion

Had the same problem and copied Superblings handlebar conversion, using RSI angled risers. Conversion had some tough areas, but completed it with a friend in one afternoon. The wide bars gives one great leverage when going through sharp curves. Although i not a big wheelie guy i occasionally will do one around some younger friends, just to get them laugh at the old man. Was a bit timid to do that with clip-ons. Very happy with conversion, which gives you a more upright riding position Total cost $145.:cool:

Moto Man 06-22-2009 09:03 AM

Get some VFR bars. It will put you a bit more upright like me in the avatar to the left<<<<<<<

jaypo 06-22-2009 05:54 PM

+1 on using your legs and taking the weight off your wrists. One thing I learned after my back surgery was to utilize the stomach muscles more. When I ride I purposefully tighten my stomach muscles to relieve the muscles in my back. Over time it becomes second nature and helps distribute the load from your back.

bcwood 08-12-2009 06:37 AM

Update: the problem suddenly went away, I guess my body got used to it! Thanks!

FL02SupaHawk996 08-12-2009 08:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bcwood (Post 230931)
Update: the problem suddenly went away, I guess my body got used to it! Thanks!

I gots a set of used risers in excellent shape I'll sell ya for $75.00 if it comes back;)

RCVTR 08-12-2009 08:24 AM

I've had similar troubles in my shoulder and the base of my neck.
I think it has as much to do with sitting at a desk motionless as anything.

I've had really good luck in getting it under control just by doing shrugs with weights. Not super heavy. Concentrate on stretching and start the lift slowly, from the stretched position.

supporting your upper body weight with your lower back muscles is very important, as mentioned. Not only for comfort. Also for allowing your handlebar inputs to be purely for steering. Very helpful in the twisties.

Hotbrakes 08-12-2009 05:33 PM

Sqeeuze the tank with your legs to support your upper body as mentioned before. Works wonders for control and comfort.