Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Rebuilding NYC

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 08:21 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Rebuilding NYC

So I did some volunteer work this saturday with my wife.

Our church the Brooklyn Tabernacle organized groups to go to the south shore of Brooklyn by Coney Island. Man it is hard to believe the destruction. Its like beruit down there. To me its worse than the stuff you saw on tv.

That stuff was mostly vacation homes but this is miles of densly populated houses ruined. We were demo-ing the basement apartment of a 79yr old lady who lost everything.

They STILL had no power so we use mirrors to shine sunlight in til dark. Took down all the walls, cabinets, doors etc. So sad to see miles of this. She was many blocks from the water.

Anyway thats my update. Plan to go do it again a few more days. I would sure want rescuers if I was washed out.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:01 AM
SportTouring
Superstock

Onomea is on a distinguished road
Aloha smokinjoe, Kudos for you, your wife and church for aiding. If I could afford it and could spare the time, I would try to be there also as I am sure others would too. What a
tragedy.

What really affected me, for some reason was the amount stated, as I recollect that was
spent on the Presidential campaining. Close to 1 Billion Dollars? On trying to get elected to office? How many generators/temperary shelters/water/food, etc. might a percentage of that buy for the affected? I can not hardly imagine how much that is, much less the trillions of dollars indebt the U.S. is in. What is relative? Go figure...

Anyway, my prays go out to you and yours and those affected. Live Well...As possible..
Old 11-20-2012, 04:49 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Alot of people are in shelters in schools. Alot with friends, family, etc. Hard to even comprehend what you see when you go there. The places were not even evac zones.

The people were very touched by the help they were getting in such a helpless place.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Onomea
What really affected me, for some reason was the amount stated, as I recollect that was spent on the Presidential campaining.
It was over a billion just for the Repbulicrats. But you can't blame them. The last four presidential elections have been won by the candidate who raised the most money.

Hang in there Joe, the damage looks very real, but hopefully some good will come of it...