Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

New to Me

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Squid

Zwer is on a distinguished road
New to Me

I posted a few days ago about purchasing a 98 VTR that I found not too far away, the problem being that I have no idea how to get it home, and I am not too sure that I want to ride it back, because of possible weather and time issues. My apartment mate said that I can borrow his Tacoma to pick it up if I want, but I don't have a ramp or straps, and the bed definitely is not long enough to put the bike in there with the tailgate up. I know that I can go buy some straps at home depot secure the bike real good and consider it an investment, but what about the ramp. All the ramps I have found are expensive, and his truck is lifted so it might be a challenge to get the bike up there, though I will have three people willing to assist (including me). Neither my SUV or his truck have a hitch so renting a uhaul trailer is out, though I am trying to track down a car that I can borrow that has one, because that might work.

Anyways long story short, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas, and parking the truck on a hill is a no go as it is flat here in Florida.

Thanks for the help,
Zach
Old 03-07-2009, 02:12 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Can you find a place with loading dock that you can get the bike up on then just roll it in? Even with 3 people, it will be a bit tricky with a lifted pickup, as the VTR is a brute weight wise, and it would suck to drop a bike you just bought.

Any chance you can just rent a cargo van? I rented one form Enterprise for $60 bucks for the day / unlimited mileage last Novemeber to make a huge Home Depot run... the rear of those vans is fairly reasonable height wise... I'd still recommend three people though.

J.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:44 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Go to Lowes and buy some lumber then rent their truck to deliver it home.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Squid

GlennK is on a distinguished road
New to me

A couple of years ago I had to move a bike I bought in the dead of winter. U-haul rents motorcycle trailers for about 15 bucks a day. Having a set of tie-down straps is pretty handy and they are not very expensive.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:35 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
How far is "not too far." I live in Texas - I can spend all day driving and never leave the state. The Depot truck is a good idea but if you don't live in a metro that has one - that's out.

Next best thing is a bike shop near you or start asking around. Let them move it for you. Towing companies will also tow but they are spendy when it comes to bikes.

The ramps that the guys at the bike shop next door use are expensive and they know what they're doing - how much velocity you need to get it up to nearly the top and then have a buddy who is standing in the box to hold the front brake until the runner can also get up in the box and continue the pull.

I have been the brake man several times - I wouldn't consider being the runner on a bet.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:24 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
You say its not "too far away", if its such a pain to get it picked up, you should just pick a nice day and have someone drive you there and ride it back! The weather is ussualy pretty good in florida.

Last edited by k-d-williams; 03-18-2009 at 09:27 PM.