Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Low cost Gear Position Indicator, interest?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Low cost Gear Position Indicator, interest?

Ok guys... A lot of you know I'm an electronics nut, and I have been testing an idea for a while...

A friend of mine wanted a gear indicator but disliked the prices and the fact that they are bulky to install in an outer casing... So I made a very small one that mounts in the gauge...

So now the question is, would any of you guys be interested in one? It's about half the cost of the commercial one's (They cost $150+, this will be around $80-90), come with no box and you need to either splice into the wire harness or buy the connectors yourself to hook into the harness without modifying anything...

Works the same as the other ones, hook it up, learn the gears and ride...

Nothing is manufactured as of yet, I'm just trying to find out if there is interest...

This is how it looks installed in the old gauges...
Low cost Gear Position Indicator, interest?-p1190033.jpgLow cost Gear Position Indicator, interest?-p1190036.jpgLow cost Gear Position Indicator, interest?-p1220043.jpg
Old 11-13-2010, 02:56 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
That looks great. I can never remember which freekin gear I'm in - Count me in. I'll send money now!
Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 AM
SuperSport

Marcus, any thoughts on this alternate strategy?

http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...006/index.html
Old 11-13-2010, 04:59 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Tweety I'd be in for this one too.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:15 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Stevebis1
Marcus, any thoughts on this alternate strategy?

http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...006/index.html
Well... That was prototype one (actually that's the one in the images...) Worked fairly decent, but had a tendancy to count even if you missed shifts and hard bumps could make it go a bit nutty... Plus it kind of leaves you to calibrate/mount/fabricate the sensor fittings since I definetly wont be making a dozen or so of them by hand...

This one uses the same 7-segment display (or perhaps a 1 mm smaller, as they are available in more colors) but looks at the signal for the ignition pulse and tacho... The downside is that you need to teach it the gears, the upside is it's dead on accurate... It has a slight delay if you shift twice in one go, but it's marginal... 2 power wires and 4 signal wires plus one for setup...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-13-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:31 AM
SuperBike

Looks slick, clean install and serves the purpose well. I'm definitely in.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:04 AM
SuperSport

That's cool. All I did was a quick google search after I read your post and was currious what you thought of each.
Definitely interested
Old 11-13-2010, 04:23 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Why not use the one from the RC51 forum? It uses a ration of rpm to wheel speed (speedo sensor) to determine the gear you are in. I bought one of these but haven't got it wired in yet.

http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/rc5...des-plans.html
Old 11-14-2010, 07:06 AM
MotoGP

Well... I did sneak a peek at that one, but he's done some basic things "wrong" for running stuff of the bikes power... PIC's doesn't like nasty powerspikes... You need a few more caps and filtering to make it feel happy... (Yeah I know I'm a bit over zealous, but I design low-power radio circuits for a living... They have a hissy-fit if the slightest spike gets through...)

But for knowing the gear, his and mine and all the commercial ones does the same computations... Same signals in, same result but probably a bit different code... I'm not saying mine is better... It is however much smaller, since mine is SMD parts instead of through hole... But if you look at my parts list and his it's very, very similar since the basic design is very good... Basically the same but beefed up power circuit and filtering...
Old 11-14-2010, 01:47 PM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I'm interested...
Old 11-14-2010, 03:28 PM
SuperBike

Prototype one, send it to me and I'll have it in and tested in a jiffy.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:39 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RWhisen
Prototype one, send it to me and I'll have it in and tested in a jiffy.
Prototype one through three has already covered some 1800 miles between them... So that's not really a problem...

But for all of you reading only the fun parts... (No one in particular, it just seems like the norm to skip that part...) It's not 100% certain to happen... I haven't made a complete PCB design for the production board yet, and when that's done, it will still be a while before I can produce them... So nope... Not happening the next few days... I'm just asking if there is interest... And it seems that there is, so that means I'll start shrinking the prototype down in size...
Old 11-14-2010, 04:45 PM
I loves me twins
Superstock
Superstock

NooB is on a distinguished road
Any problems seeing that in daylight?
Old 11-14-2010, 05:29 PM
MotoGP

No problem what-so-ever... It has a lightsensor to dim it at night, otherwise it might have been a bit blinding...
Old 11-14-2010, 07:00 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
what about the y.l.o.d. will that be put in differnt location.
Old 11-15-2010, 01:55 AM
Superstock

102dals is an unknown quantity at this point
How/where would you mount this on a later model? If you have ideas, I could be interested.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:10 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by saige
what about the y.l.o.d. will that be put in differnt location.
Well, the guy doing the install in this case chose to put it in the fake bolt, (He's from the swedish forum and was the first tester)... You can make it out in the image... but you can just as easily make it fit on the other side of the dial, since it's only a LED on a wire, doesn't need much space...

Originally Posted by 102dals
How/where would you mount this on a later model? If you have ideas, I could be interested.
I'm sorry to say I never mucked about with that, so I couldn't tell you... the thing is though, I know there is the space since I have had one of the guys testing put it in there... The GPI is a PCB 30*30 mm in size (or slightly less, but that's the maximum size) and about 5 mm thick except for the 7-segment display so you could open it up and have a look for feasible ideas...

It's so small, it's not really a problem... But if someone likes the idea better, I could make a box for them to put it outside the gauges instead...

Also right now I can't find the images but I stuck one in my CBR gauges without problem...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-15-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I am interested.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I'm also interested but have a few questions/comments:

1. I can't tell in your photos but did you eliminate the RLOD and put the gizmo in its place.

2. Since I'm not thrilled with the prospect of taking apart the tacho AND trying to put it back together (unless its real easy and fool-proof), it should be possible to mount it in its own case and install it to the left of the speedo, no?

3. What do you mean by "have it learn gears" and is it difficult/time consuming?

4. For example, if you go to kneedragers.com, they have several gear indicators; i.e., the Datatool for $79 http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...Gear-Indicator
the Starlane for $119 which also has a programmable shift light http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...th-Shift-Light
the Acuman for $110 http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...n-Version-Blue
(plus the Acumen DC* plug-in for $150 as well as the Healtech's).
My question is how do these compare to yours given having to hard wire both and they would be the about same price or maximum $40 more plus come with a warranty (however poor)

But I'm still interested and commend your initiative
Old 11-15-2010, 05:20 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
I'm also interested but have a few questions/comments:

1. I can't tell in your photos but did you eliminate the RLOD and put the gizmo in its place.

2. Since I'm not thrilled with the prospect of taking apart the tacho AND trying to put it back together (unless its real easy and fool-proof), it should be possible to mount it in its own case and install it to the left of the speedo, no?

3. What do you mean by "have it learn gears" and is it difficult/time consuming?

4. For example, if you go to kneedragers.com, they have several gear indicators; i.e., the Datatool for $79 http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...Gear-Indicator
the Starlane for $119 which also has a programmable shift light http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...th-Shift-Light
the Acuman for $110 http://www.kneedraggers.com/product/...n-Version-Blue
(plus the Acumen DC* plug-in for $150 as well as the Healtech's).
My question is how do these compare to yours given having to hard wire both and they would be the about same price or maximum $40 more plus come with a warranty (however poor)

But I'm still interested and commend your initiative
1. Already been answered... It was moved, not eliminated... The reason was that happened to be the best place to put the GPI, not blocking the readout of the tacho... Actually if I where to do it on the old gauge I'd probably re-purpose the sidestand light for the fuel warning, since the sidestand switch works just fine without a light...

2. It's easy... A few bolts to open it and just be careful to not harm the dials when it's open and all is well... A bit finicky to put it back with all the pieces in the same place though not to difficult... But yeah, you can easily make another box, it needs to be waterproof though... I'm not planning to do that, so that will be your job if you like it external...

3. You tell the GPI how many gears the bike have 5 or 6, and the ratio of ignition pulses vs the speed sensor for each gear... Ie either stick the bike on a rear stand and while idling go through the gearbox or do it on road... The same thing applies to ALL of the ones you linked... All of them have a switch hidden somewhere...

I'd actually recommend the stand since I nearly hit a ditch while trying the other option... And yes, it's perfectly safe to do, while idling... If you decide to play with the throttle you are on your own for safety...

4. See 3... But other than that, they work the same as mine... You learn the gears for them, and they do the same math but might have different components/CPU inside...

The Acumen one's doesn't have wire harnesses for the VTR, so it's the $110 hardwire option that's comparable... I actually had one of those for testing a while this summer... It worked the same as my prototype but was a PITA to learn the gears on since you use a fipply small "key" to press the button and then it goes through the gearbox... It took me several tries to be in sync with it while changing gears... Once learned I honestly couldn't tell the difference to mine... Those one's all have a sligthly larger display though since they aren't going inside the gauges...

The price isn't set yet, I'm still trying to bring the price (and size) down as much as possible, trying to find same spec components cheaper... As for warranty, well I'd probably guess mine would be as good as theirs in terms of how it works... Little more time consuming though... Contact me, answer a buch of questions and troubleshoot it yourself... If that doesn't work send it too me and I troubleshoot and send a new or repaired back (unless you obviously fried it by doing something stupid)... Return shipping on you, and no promises on how long it might take me to do it, but other than that same as theirs...

A few additional points, not fitting under you numbered questions...

I'm planning to have the switch be part of the wiring, not the board, since the board is going in the gauges... Should hopefully be removable once the learning is done and not needed... (the data goes in semi-permanent memory and isn't lost, but can be overwritten if you want to)

I'm testing the option to "piggyback" the clutch switch for learning... Not done testing that yet though so no promises...

Also If I can figure out exactly what connectors some of the wires use, I might actually offer up a plug in harness, but then that most likely wouldn't be very cheap...
Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 PM
BBB
Good Root
Squid
Squid

BBB is on a distinguished road
GPI

I'm definitely interested

BBB
Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
im in marcus, let me know when its done and ill send you cash
Old 11-18-2010, 02:14 PM
MotoGP

Ok... I have been fiddling... Some of your questions and input got me thinking...

The switch for learning is now gone (possibly)... No switch needed, just a clutch and some thinking... (Yeah me and the CPU both...) Software isn't finalized yet though, but so far it works flawlessly...

That means we are down to 6 wires... 2 for power and then clutch, neutral, speed sensor and ignition pulses (RPM)... All 4 of them are available in various plugs around the bike at some point on the older gauges, but some of them only in Honda's proprietary gauge plug on the newer models... So it is feasible to do a plug in version for the older one, but so far not for the newer gauges...

And the plugs alone for that harness would add around $15-20 to the cost... Add the wiring and some various bits, plus me making it and the harness alone is $25-30... Not worth the effort as far as I can see, but if anyone wants one I'll gladly make it... The irony though of it is that on the older gauges all signals except the clucth can be hooked up by bolting small ring connectors to the signal wires accessible on the rear... DOH! So why have a harness...

Now, with the button gone, that left one pin unoccupied on the CPU so I started thinking... As usual that was a decidely bad idea... I was thinking I could add a shiftlight...

But that adds cost and it also means a larger size board... And it adds complexity, since you need to set it at an RPM... Which means we need that button... So I solved that problem... Buuut, that means more setup, more fiddling and more things you can get wrong when installing it...

So, the question is... With the button gone, and some adjustments I now have two boards to possibly prototype test... One slightly smaller and cheaper... And one more expensive and slightly bulkier with components for hooking up an external shiftlight... Which one would you guys prefer?

In theory I could do both... Just leave some parts unpopulated on the board, it would still add some cost (since I need some components to "kill" the signals) and boardsize remains larger...

Let me know...

BTW... Just so you know, the shiftlight is completely untested both HW and SW so far, so it might still end up being a complete blunder job that doesn't work...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-18-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:44 PM
Superstock
Superstock

wyldryce is on a distinguished road
Personally, I already have a shiftlight, but it would be cool to incorporate one into your design. I'd be more interested in the overcharge/undercharge indicator device you designed and posted years ago on this forum. THAT would be cool to have with this.
-R
Old 11-18-2010, 07:18 PM
S2K
Squid

S2K is on a distinguished road
From one electronic junkie to another, here's a thought for you...
For the shift light function, consider blinking all 7 segments of your display at ~5 Hz instead of adding another LED. An you still have your unused pin for configuring the shift point.

Clever project BTW.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:47 PM
SuperBike

im happy either way. i use the rev limiter to indicate that i need to shift gears. thats what its there for would this work for just our bikes or could it be made to work on say my 98 zx6r aswell?
Old 11-19-2010, 12:49 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by S2K
From one electronic junkie to another, here's a thought for you...
For the shift light function, consider blinking all 7 segments of your display at ~5 Hz instead of adding another LED. An you still have your unused pin for configuring the shift point.

Clever project BTW.
Heh... To be quite honest... Pins are not a problem... I realised I have no usage for the decimal point on the display, so that free'd one up... And stealing cues from others I had used one for setting the display inverted (ie if mounting it upside down because of space constraints) but that's moved to software so all of a sudden I have the config plus two pins more to play with...

And to make it worse I still think I might have figured out how not to use the button (i dislike it) so that means I'll have two unused ones... Sigh...

Plus I'm not sure blinking the numbers is very noticeable... But I could test it... Worst case I spent 10 seconds writing code for nothing...
Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by uchi
im happy either way. i use the rev limiter to indicate that i need to shift gears. thats what its there for would this work for just our bikes or could it be made to work on say my 98 zx6r aswell?
Well... In theory, yes... But I can't tell you for sure...

If the bike has an electronic speedo, ie no cable speedo, then all the signals needed are there... The question is how many pulses the VSS (speed sensor) gives each rotation of the wheel... Apparently it's different on different bikes and it's part of the math... I'm working on a fix, there has to be a way of making it universal... (I think)

Worst case, it will need to be reprogrammed...
Old 11-19-2010, 01:21 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by wyldryce
Personally, I already have a shiftlight, but it would be cool to incorporate one into your design. I'd be more interested in the overcharge/undercharge indicator device you designed and posted years ago on this forum. THAT would be cool to have with this.
-R
Um... Ok... I'm not sure I understood what you where saying... The charge warning light doesn't need a microprocessor, it works a lot better as "oldschool"...

But are you saying you'd want it on the same card? It's certainly possible, but I already have it as SMD (surface mount) in a tiny board ½" by 1" or soo... If you want I can make one of those with the LED's on a few inches of wire... Then you can stick the LED's any place you desire on the dashboard and hide the card...

Low cost Gear Position Indicator, interest?-1271801035_resized.jpg
Old 11-19-2010, 04:31 AM
SuperBike

sounbds good marcus. what are the chances you could make the gear indicator board blink one solid color when its ready for an upshift? completely filled in like a big mass of color.

Quick Reply: Low cost Gear Position Indicator, interest?