SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Everything Else (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/)
-   -   Light Truck Advice/Opinions (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/everything-else-31/light-truck-advice-opinions-24827/)

7moore7 03-01-2011 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 294532)
Personally my feeling is: if you want AC, I would say that dealing with a computer is better than dealing with converting the AC system (it will not quite work right and will eventually go bad with the conversion kits) you can still find R12 but it is pricey, or you can take a trip to Mexico to get your AC fixed if you do end up with the older system

Thanks for the input, everyone- it's definitely giving me other things to consider.

A/C is just one of those "gotta haves" on my list like I said. I can do more summers without it, but figure if I'm buying a new vehicle I may as well get something that I want to drive.

I actually don't really have a problem with higher mileage necessarily, except most people I talk to DO so it throws me off balance. I have a little more confidence from your 200, 300k recommendations!

98VTRrider 03-01-2011 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 294525)
Toyota tends to overbuild their transmissions in my experience.

That is a fact. I know the 5 Speed W58 tranmission was used from the early 80's in the celicas, late 80's in the non-turbo supra, throughout the 90's in the non-turbo Supra 2JZ and the Lexus SC300, and well past 2000 in the Lexus IS300. Thats over 20 years using the same transmission design!!!

They can take around 400HP before losing dependability.....don't change what works well seems to be their motto

Originally Posted by lazn (Post 294532)
But since you mentioned having A/C (a huge deal in AZ) look at Post 1994 vehicles so that you won't have to convert the system if it goes bad.

if you want AC, I would say that dealing with a computer is better than dealing with converting the AC system (it will not quite work right and will eventually go bad with the conversion kits)

Last summer I converted my 89 crx with a $10 kit from PepBoys. The kit is just a few fittings for the lines. Then you need the old R12 vacuumed out and refilled with R134a. It's not a big deal at all. A lot of people have problems because they do it themselves without proper tools. If you don't use a vacuum and get all the air/moisture out, then you could have problems with it not working right/going bad

1971allchaos 03-01-2011 04:51 PM

7 Moore, reading thru the input.. And Yes the toyota is the best truck for the Bucks... I bought a 2005 Tundra Access Cab Limited 4wd new.. Yet when working for the Feds. i had a patrol trailblazer-(4.3 vortec V-6, 700r4 transmission) That i must admit, your tax money GOT abused... The truck had 180k on the clicker before i got another one... same truck..
If you could find an S-10/X-cab/2wd or 4wd with the same combination of drivetrain.. That would probably be my second choice. GMC trucks have all the options, that you have to pay for in the chevys... Good luck

lazn 03-01-2011 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider (Post 294551)
That is a fact. I know the 5 Speed W58 tranmission was used from the early 80's in the celicas, late 80's in the non-turbo supra, throughout the 90's in the non-turbo Supra 2JZ and the Lexus SC300, and well past 2000 in the Lexus IS300. Thats over 20 years using the same transmission design!!!

They can take around 400HP before losing dependability.....don't change what works well seems to be their motto

Last summer I converted my 89 crx with a $10 kit from PepBoys. The kit is just a few fittings for the lines. Then you need the old R12 vacuumed out and refilled with R134a. It's not a big deal at all. A lot of people have problems because they do it themselves without proper tools. If you don't use a vacuum and get all the air/moisture out, then you could have problems with it not working right/going bad

The kit will work for a time in AZ.. I know I had my 93 infiniti (two cars ago) converted properly by a shop I trust. It still only lasted a year and eventually killed the system. Here the AC system is working so much harder for so much longer that the extreme heats & pressures created are more than the conversion kit oils can take.

We are talking running for hours with the condenser totally heatsoaked, as in burn your hand if you touch it. Believe me I have friends in MN who think conversion is no big deal.. In the desert it ain't so easy.

mhaisten 03-02-2011 07:39 AM

I have the 07 Colorado crew cab. Superhawk fits in the back. Gas milage is around 20 mixed hiway/city. It is getting really bdd reviews, but mine has been trouble free for 55k miles.

JPP 03-02-2011 08:06 AM

Toyota T-100 predecessor to the Tundra. Great truck often overlooked can be had cheap. Considered full size but on the smaller size. My friend plows my lots with one and loves his truck. Almost as much as his old '86 22r. Those older 22r's were built in Japan he said. He had a tacoma after which never felt as solid.

xeris 03-03-2011 05:12 AM

I'm going to have to second the Toyota recomendations. Although you are unlikley to find one in the price range you stated. Rangers are a good bet. Stay away from the 3.0 if possible (I have one and there is a major design flaw in the oil pump drive. don't ask how I know), The 4.0 is better. Over all it has been a good drive, but a Toyota will be my next truck.

7moore7 03-10-2011 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by 98VTRrider (Post 294495)
Extended cab toyotas have small back seats. Older models can be found with a Longer bed.

As far as working on the 22RE, I've done a headgasket, clutches, timing chain, ect in my garage with hand tools. Accessory replacement like Power steering pump, Alternator, AC compressor is a snap. Easy valve adjustment.

Their Achilles heel is the timing chain guide, it's plastic and when it wears through at ~180k they break, and the chain rubs the timing cover and wears a hole into the water pump mixing oil and water. I've had that happen, replaced/welded the parts and kept going. If caught before that it's a non-issue.

I stick with 80's/early 90's vehicles....once you venture into OBD-II territory things get more complicated for the garage mechanic, in my opinion.

So I didn't start looking in this direction, but the gears started running after this thread. I hadn't thought of older cars because of the a/c issue, but there's a good probability that I won't be driving enough to really need to sacrifice several thousand dollars. I found an old 1990 toyota single cab with a 22r (carbuerated rather than the 22re fuel injected) with a newly rebuilt motor w/3k miles on it, body lift kit, custom headers and the body was in awesome condition.

What was awesome is like what you said here- I looked into the engine compartment and it looked like I could do a lot of work on that little motor by myself! He had a head gasket leak that he said he caused by not putting silicon on when he replaced it, but the thing just looked fun. The motor I found has 97 hp and 129 ft-lbf of torque. I'd basically be riding in a superhawk powered truck! And *gasp*, carbeurated!

lazn 03-10-2011 08:07 AM

Great little trucks.. I still haven't found mine, but I think I am waiting till I get my tax return first, just to be smrt.

There is a lot that can be done with a 22, but I do prefer the re over the r.. or even the 22ret... ah turbo truck :D Either way, those engines are solid reliable.

7moore7 03-12-2011 08:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Eh?

Attachment 26363

No a/c (there's a compressor but no belt, so I suspect it doesn't work). It's actually a 1987. I'll probably take the body lift kit, so I can throw stuff in the back easier... but I dunno, I may roll around in a bro truck for awhile :)

Super impractical, but should be fun to tinker with! Spent 1/3 what I would on a newer Tacoma, Ranger or Dakota, definitely happy about the purchase at this point!

98VTRrider 03-12-2011 09:26 AM

I like it. Looks like it's in good shape. They are notorious for having bad rust down the bed seam. But yours looks nice and clean...AZ air will do that.

I'm on the hunt for a mid 80's extended cab long bed 2x4 for a bike hauler this year. This thread gave me truck fever!!

RWhisen 03-13-2011 07:01 AM

I have an 02 Dakota Quad cab with the 360, overdrive trans, tow package, electric seats etc etc that has been a great truck over the years. Only complaint is with the 360 and all that torque, you get to pay the price at the pump with highway mileage at 15 mpg. It pulls my 4500 lb. camping trailer easily. Not sure if that's what you are looking for but for a small truck this one will do heavy duty and the AC will freeze you out of it.

lazn 03-14-2011 08:48 AM

Nice!