Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

I Crashed Today, but fortunately not on my VTR

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:34 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I Crashed Today, but fortunately not on my VTR

I crashed today, but fortunately I was on my mountain bike. On the flat, in the dirt I went to jump a 2 foot vertical rise I'd done many times before, but I didn't lift the front soon enough...brain fart.

So over the bars I went. Bike's okay, but I face planted knocking both incisors loose (one was angled back at a 20 degree angle and almost 1/8 inch lower than its neighbor) and lacerating my upper lip pretty good, along with other facial scrapes.

My wife immediately called my dentist of over 20 years, who happens to be the team dentist for the Anaheim Ducks. He referred me to the Ducks' oral surgeon, who got me right in.

I was put under and the worst tooth was able to be pushed back in. Bone had to be repaired behind the looser one, along with mucho sutures (5 centimeters) inside my lip.

Good thing my heavy blond mustache covers my swollen and deformed lip, but otherwise I look like I've been in a bar fight since my knuckles are skinned too.

Even better thing I wasn't on my SuperHawk when I had the brain fart. I always put everything else out of my head when I'm canyon riding.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:51 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Ouch! Glad you are ok..

We all have brain farts at times, just hopefully not when it is gonna kill us.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:12 PM
MotoGP

Thanks lazn, it was just supposed to be a casual ride, so I just had a baseball cap on. But like I said, when canyon riding it's total focus. Keith Code has a $10 analogy, "Everyone has so much attention (like money) to spend on the actions of riding". If you have $10 and you spend several dollars target fixating, watching scenery (or another rider), or daydreaming, you may not have enough left to ride safely.

By the way lazn, I hope you're feeling better. As soon as I'm off the Hydrocodone in a day or two, I'll be able to get on my bike again (mountain and VTR). Hope you get in the saddle again soon as well.

Oops, I just looked up your post crash thread and realized it was way back in June that you were riding again. Time flies. I'm sure you've had some fun miles since then.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 12-21-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Superstock

AngryOlaf is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about the crash VTRsurfer! Glad you're not too banged up and will be back on the bikes in a few days.

...Careful what you chew for a while.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Speed Demon
Superstock

crackerjackman is on a distinguished road
Get well Soon!!! My regards to a speedy recovery.

Philip
Old 12-22-2009, 02:15 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
Come on man! ATGATT!

Old 12-22-2009, 04:26 AM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
That's sucks man. I crashed on a downhill moutain bike a couple years back. Once I was shortcutting through a grassy section that was a little too high and hit a log which shot me over the bars and the second time that same day I was going pretty fast down a dirt hill going to the trails. This huge hill. Real high speed stuff. Got to the bottom and the bike washed out under me and down I went. Persoanlly I'd prefer to not ever crash on the motorcycle. Hitting a tree at 40kph on my race quad was enough for me.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Back Marker

badboyrr is on a distinguished road
Brother I feel your pain....sort of. I low sided my RC-51 Sunday afternoon. I didn't get hurt, but scuffed my bike lil bit. Sucks! Heal up soon.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Superstock

Mike996 is on a distinguished road
OUCH! I can just picture how much that hurt when it happened. I try to ride my mtb on the safe side, but you can never predict stuff like that. We went riding at the beginning of this past summer, and it was on a normal trail, nothing major, but the dude that was in front of me got his front wheel caught in some roots, flung over the bars and (since he didnt have gloves on) split one of his fingers wide open on one of the roots. thankfully, i had a roll of gauze and medical tape in my seat bag. it was enough to get him to the hospital before he bled through the entire roll of gauze.

Any damage to the bike?
Old 12-22-2009, 07:42 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Oops, I just looked up your post crash thread and realized it was way back in June that you were riding again. Time flies. I'm sure you've had some fun miles since then.
Ya, though the knee still acts up, and probably always will. All in all I got off light. I don't ride without my armored pants anymore though, even just to the store.. I had all the rest of my gear on, and the rest of me healed up well.

Hope you heal quick and well from your mishap!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm glad you're going to be ok. MTB crashes really are dangerous - even the small ones.

I locked my front wheel behind a rock on a really steep, technical section a couple years ago. I was instantaneously tossed over the bars and landed on my left pinky. Tore a ligament in the first knuckle and it was jacked for an entire year!

An 80 MPH get off on the track was mild, by comparison - although a lot more expensive.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Hey Buddy, sorry to hear about your crash. I think bicycle crashes tend to cause injury moreso because we're not geared up like we are on a m/c. Lets ride Ortega when you're feeling better!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Honducati
SuperSport

Oh, and I'm very glad the VTR wasn't involved! My little get-off last year was expensive!!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by badboyrr
Brother I feel your pain....sort of. I low sided my RC-51 Sunday afternoon. I didn't get hurt, but scuffed my bike lil bit. Sucks! Heal up soon.
Ouch, I feel your pain with the RC more than mine. Actually there was little pain and none now, I'll probably go off the pain killers after today. But people will be staring at me when I go out.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:09 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by AngryOlaf
Sorry to hear about the crash VTRsurfer! Glad you're not too banged up and will be back on the bikes in a few days.

...Careful what you chew for a while.
Like I said, I'm lucky to have connections with an NHL Hockey dentist (Rick Morimotto, DDS in Garden Grove). My wife called him and got a referral to the oral surgeon in Orange, since the tooth was partly pulled out. Didn't even think of the emergency room, since I knew Dr. Morimoto would take care of me.

As for eating, I won't be using my front teeth for awhile. Both upper incisors are "splinted" to adjacent teeth with wire. So I won't be able to use them while they set back into the bone. I won't even be able to eat tacos.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:20 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Come on man! ATGATT!
I hear you Coaster, but I'm old fashioned when on my mtb. It kind of comes from surviving riding a bike all over the place in the 1950s. We were always on our bikes.

My wife and I like single track. Mammoth is the best, but we usually go out to Laguna Meadows off Sunrise Highway. I always wear an mtb beanie helmet in the dirt, but we were just doing a casual ride yesterday through San Onofre and **** happens. Besides, I would have had to be wearing a full face downhill helmet to protect my teeth, and that would look kind of silly while riding on level pavement in a State Park. **** happens.

I hope your SuperHawk is getting well.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Ya, it never fails when you let your guard down. Number of years ago after spending the day riding some really technical trails without much of a mishap, I ride down a slight grade into the parking lot, there are grassy berms between the parking rows. I get way more air than I was prepared for, taco the front wheel, take the impact with my shoulder and the side of my head, break my helmet in half, etc. The only thing was, no one was around to see it! I just wish I was able to heal as quickly as I used to be!
Old 12-22-2009, 12:24 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Mr Toad
Ya, it never fails when you let your guard down. Number of years ago after spending the day riding some really technical trails without much of a mishap, I ride down a slight grade into the parking lot, there are grassy berms between the parking rows. I get way more air than I was prepared for, taco the front wheel, take the impact with my shoulder and the side of my head, break my helmet in half, etc. The only thing was, no one was around to see it! I just wish I was able to heal as quickly as I used to be!
Might have been cool to have a friend get a video of that, but I wouldn't want to crash in a parking lot in front of strangers. Glad your helmet did its job.

Twice I've needed stitches on my forehead after getting hit by a board while surfing (one was mine, the other was from an *** that took off in front of me). Both times were on a 2 foot wave. Not the best for bragging rights.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 12-22-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:20 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jbaxx
Hey Buddy, sorry to hear about your crash. I think bicycle crashes tend to cause injury moreso because we're not geared up like we are on a m/c. Lets ride Ortega when you're feeling better!
I'd be up for that, but I don't do Ortega on weekends/holidays since I retired. Too many crazies dragging knees. And the cops are thick, often with aircraft on weekends. I rode it with my wife last Tuesday and by myself last Friday. I'm faster than some and slower than many, and I don't count Harleys. I can have fun pretty much doing it all in 3rd at around 5k rpm going into corners.

There are some damp spots near the bottom of the canyon on the San Juan side just about every morning up to noon, so I'm taking it a little easier or changing lines. But otherwise it's quite often great most weekdays hitting it about 11AM or later. At 2PM the eastbound commuters start streaming in trains. So 10 or 11 start and off the hill by 2PM is usually good.

I like to leave a margin for error, especially after my wife came back from Gelsons in Dana Point with stories of fatalities that happened two weeks ago. Two different guys that work there (one rides a CBR1000 Repsol) told her what happened:

A guy on a sportbike came around a corner and ran into a bag of cement that had fallen off a truck. Crashed and died.

A guy riding a borrowed $72,000 Ducati Desmosedici was hit head-on by a teenage girl who was texting.

So, on a brighter note, I am up for a weekday ride after the Holidays are over. Let me know.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

I'd be up for that, but I don't do Ortega on weekends/holidays since I retired. Too many crazies dragging knees. And the cops are thick, often with aircraft on weekends. I rode it with my wife last Tuesday and by myself last Friday. I'm faster than some and slower than many, and I don't count Harleys. I can have fun pretty much doing it all in 3rd at around 5k rpm going into corners.

There are some damp spots near the bottom of the canyon on the San Juan side just about every morning up to noon, so I'm taking it a little easier or changing lines. But otherwise it's quite often great most weekdays hitting it about 11AM or later. At 2PM the eastbound commuters start streaming in trains. So 10 or 11 start and off the hill by 2PM is usually good.

I like to leave a margin for error, especially after my wife came back from Gelsons in Dana Point with stories of fatalities that happened two weeks ago. Two different guys that work there (one rides a CBR1000 Repsol) told her what happened:

A guy on a sportbike came around a corner and ran into a bag of cement that had fallen off a truck. Crashed and died.

A guy riding a borrowed $72,000 Ducati Desmosedici was hit head-on by a teenage girl who was texting.

So, on a brighter note, I am up for a weekday ride after the Holidays are over. Let me know.
No worries, I don't like to go too fast on the street, I'm too old to crash and too young to die. I save the speed for the track.

I usually have a day off during the week and the weather in January can be pretty nice. I'll hit you up in a few weeks.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:17 PM
MotoGP

Old 12-22-2009, 08:38 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
I fell your pain. I've posted b4 about my last face plant. I'm a roadie. I was on a casual NYD ride on 01-1-07 and a jerk passed me and cut me off taking out the spokes of my brand new front wheel with his rear derailleur. Bastard left me no where to go, and then when my wheel collapsed I face planted at 18 mph. Besides torn up shoulder and elbow tendons, 3 compressed vertebra, my face was not too good either. Broke my Bell in half, and even tore up my JR armored jacket. I'm still suffering from my injuries, trying to avoid going under the knife. PT was not very successful. Can't sleep, numbness, tingling and pain from my shoulder down, and limited shoulder mobility and pain like a knife when I reach the wrong way.
Attached Thumbnails I Crashed Today, but fortunately not on my VTR-face-plant-2c.jpg   I Crashed Today, but fortunately not on my VTR-face-plant-crash-1c.jpg  
Old 12-22-2009, 08:55 PM
MotoGP

Your face damage looks similar to mine, minus the loose teeth. I feel lucky after hearing about your crash. I hope the other guy at least showed remorse.

Some of those road bikers are just way to aggressive. They need to go to France or something.

Last edited by VTRsurfer; 12-22-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:25 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you're ok. You're also fortunate to get quick care like that. The last time I went *** over teakettle on my mountainbike I separated my shoulder and had no insurance and just...left it. Good thing my gf at the time had a bottle full of percoset from her boob job tuneup so I could work
Old 12-23-2009, 07:13 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Your face damage looks similar to mine, minus the loose teeth. I feel lucky after hearing about your crash. I hope the other guy at least showed remorse.

Some of those road bikers are just way to aggressive. They need to go to France or something.
The schmuck never said "on your left" but I felt him coming and warned him loudly twice he was too close and was coming in to me; never got out the 3rd warning. Not only did he NOT go down but was NOT apologetic and while at the time he mumbled something about letting him know what my bike damages would cost to fix, later said "you're on you're own" and that I didn't know pace line etiquette. Heck, were were never in a pace line let alone riding in a loose group we were so spread out. I'm all fawked up and he's still smugly cruising and flaunting it!

I'm nauseated by all the Yuppie OTH TD'F wanabies. Of course their dirt counterparts can get you into ugly PDQ on a tight trail, whether it be downhill or sometimes worse, chugging uphill!

Last edited by skokievtr; 12-23-2009 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:55 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Vtrsurfer hope you get well soon. Have you ever ridden Noble canyon? When I used to work for bicycle warehouse we would do that on Thanksgiving. riding up the road then down the trail. Talk about a workout.

Skokie that sucks hope you get better soon.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:24 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by zmaniv
Vtrsurfer hope you get well soon. Have you ever ridden Noble canyon? When I used to work for bicycle warehouse we would do that on Thanksgiving. riding up the road then down the trail. Talk about a workout.

Skokie that sucks hope you get better soon.
I'll be fine, I hope you get better soon. And yes my wife and I did Noble Canyon a few years ago. The upper part was closed because of the fire. We rode up the asphalt road for several miles from Pine Valley...pant, pant...and headed down from where the road crosses the trail. There were some really fun parts, although a little rocky in spots and buggy along the stream. And the sandy uphill part near the bottom wasn't fun. I'd do it again, but only as a shuttle. It was hot and the uphill on the road was no fun for me.

We ride Laguna Meadows from Penny Pines on Sunrise Highway. All single track and the part through the trees skirting the north side of the meadow is a blast, with slight up and down and just enough rocks and drop-offs to make it interesting. I like to really pump it through there.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:28 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by captainchaos
Glad to hear you're ok. You're also fortunate to get quick care like that. The last time I went *** over teakettle on my mountainbike I separated my shoulder and had no insurance and just...left it. Good thing my gf at the time had a bottle full of percoset from her boob job tuneup so I could work
No dental insurance since I retired, so we went straight to the oral surgeon, bypassing the ER. It cost 2 grand, but at least my bike doesn't have a scratch and no orthopedic problems. Hope you enjoyed the boob tune-up.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:36 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by skokievtr
The schmuck never said "on your left"

I'm nauseated by all the Yuppie OTH TD'F wanabies. Of course their dirt counterparts can get you into ugly PDQ on a tight trail, whether it be downhill or sometimes worse, chugging uphill!
Yeah, my wife theorizes that those agro road riders are on testosterone supplements. I'll be carrying my surfboard into Trestles on the asphalt path, which is also a main biking route between San Clemente and Oceanside, and a TD'F wannabe will speed by me from behind, 12 inches away with no announcement, scaring the crap out of me.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:09 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
What brand Mtn bike do you have?

I have a GT Zaskar (original not a pacific made frame). The only thing original on the bike is the crankset. Everything else is upgraded. Almost full XTR groupo with Chris King headset and hubs, I built the wheels myself.

Quick Reply: I Crashed Today, but fortunately not on my VTR