Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

I Bought A 2005 Ducati Multistrad "S"..... Buh-Bye VTR??

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 01:00 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
I Bought A 2005 Ducati Multistrad "S"..... Buh-Bye VTR??

Yup, you read right, I've crossed over to the dark.. err, noisy side. It's an '05 Multistrada "S" with 22k on the clock... paid $4,200 for it, books for $7,600 . This is the 7th or 8th Duc I've bought, but it's the first I've considered keeping. The problem is, it was purchased with borrowed funds and I can't afford to keep the VTR and the 'Strada, so obviously one has to go. I can flip the Duc and pocket a good chunk of change or I can part out the VTR and do the same. I know the choice may be obvious as day to some, but I'm torn.... keep the bike that fits my riding style, or keep the old girl I've put so much, blood sweat and tears into making it my own . I'm leaning towards keeping the Duc and parting out the VTR, but I still have a little time to decide. In the meantime I've been putting as many miles as I can on the 'Strada to make sure it's what I want, as like the VTR, it is not without it's faults. Desicions... desicions.

Attached Thumbnails I Bought A 2005 Ducati Multistrad "S"..... Buh-Bye VTR??-duc.jpg   I Bought A 2005 Ducati Multistrad "S"..... Buh-Bye VTR??-vtr.jpg  

Last edited by inderocker; 04-15-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:06 AM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
That is one tough decision! The Multi is one of a very few bikes that I would sell the Hawk for. I's say keep the Duc.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Superstock

Mattaua is on a distinguished road
that is a mean looking bike, I'm kinda in the same boat, I've been looking for a cruiser but I wanna keep the SH too. I'm having a hard time convincing my wife that there is no harm in having 2 bikes
Old 04-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Back Marker

Furrybiker is on a distinguished road
Keep the VTR, for me the front of the Duke doesn't look like it belongs to the back, or the bottom for that matter! They are very cheap, for what they are, on this side of the pond as well. I did look at one a couple of years ago but I felt that I would have to lose the plastic, it was a red one which didn't look as good as this, but for me a Duke has to look like an original 900SS

Just my view, so it doesn't matter in the slightest, I'm sure you will love it and certainly ache less on long rides!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
You might want to factor in the time it will take to remove the good stuff from your beautiful VTR and the cost and time it will take to upgrade the Ducati to your very high standards. It's still not an easy choice.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:03 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I'd keep the duc because you got a steal on it. But it really just depends on what your riding is going to be. Personally I can't get past the front end of that thing, but it's a personal choice. I guess the good news is that you have a good bike either way.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:01 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm sure the riding position is more comfortable on the Duc. The compliant suspension must be nice on goat trails, but not as good on maintained secondary highways.

To me, the Multistrada is just not very attractive. I've always thought they probably work well for the roads they were designed for, but it's just not a beautiful motorcycle.

I'd sell it and get a rack built for some side bags for the VTR. Get the load down lower, where is doesn't have such a drastic negative affect on handling. Get some riser bars and keep the beautiful, reliable one.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Back Marker

ninjagoalie is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
Get some riser bars and keep the beautiful, reliable one.
Well said!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:27 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Great deal. One of my friends has that exact same bike. We all rode up to Laguna Seca last year. I rode it a few times, bike rocks. Has the best of both worlds.

I always thought your VTR looked awesome aswell. Thats a tough decision to have to make?

How about you sell me that VTR? At least you know it will go to a good home. Steve
Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 AM
geezer
SuperSport
SuperSport

oahu hawk is on a distinguished road
Who's doing the maintenance on the Multi? If you're doing your own valve adjustments, belt changes, etc., then keep the Duc...otherwise, keeping the low maintenance VTR could be the ticket...
Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by comedo
You might want to factor in the time it will take to remove the good stuff from your beautiful VTR and the cost and time it will take to upgrade the Ducati to your very high standards. It's still not an easy choice.

I part out bikes for a living, so aside from the non-stop crying while I tear it down it'll just be another day. There's not too many upgrades the Duc needs. The suspension it already great, it's got almost as much power, and its comfortable. I'll just need to add some saddlebags and exhaust to get here where I want it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:06 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Old Yeller
I'd keep the duc because you got a steal on it. But it really just depends on what your riding is going to be. Personally I can't get past the front end of that thing, but it's a personal choice. I guess the good news is that you have a good bike either way.

I still can't get around the front end as well. To me the rest of the bike is gorgeous, but the cyclops face is a bit much. Fortunately, it does look better in person and in black... the red ones are hideous IMO.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:15 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR
I'm sure the riding position is more comfortable on the Duc. The compliant suspension must be nice on goat trails, but not as good on maintained secondary highways.

To me, the Multistrada is just not very attractive. I've always thought they probably work well for the roads they were designed for, but it's just not a beautiful motorcycle.

I'd sell it and get a rack built for some side bags for the VTR. Get the load down lower, where is doesn't have such a drastic negative affect on handling. Get some riser bars and keep the beautiful, reliable one.
I've spent some time and $$ trying to transform the VTR into a competent sport tourer... Sargent seat, HeliBars, Givi rack with a lockable trunk plus other misc. luggage pieces. For the most part she served me well for touring... I've even taken her from Arizona to Canada and back which was just over 3k miles in a 2 weeks. But as far as touring goes, the Duc seems to do it better, and that's my main goal at this point. Plus it's fun as all hell on a twisty road... feels lighter than the VTR thanks to the wide bars.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:18 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by speedkelly@aol.com
Great deal. One of my friends has that exact same bike. We all rode up to Laguna Seca last year. I rode it a few times, bike rocks. Has the best of both worlds.

I always thought your VTR looked awesome aswell. Thats a tough decision to have to make?

How about you sell me that VTR? At least you know it will go to a good home. Steve
Man, I would love to sell the VTR whole, unfortunetly, even with all the aftermarket goods on it, it's still a $3,800 bike. Running the numbers on it, I can part it out and clear $6,000 rather easily.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:27 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by oahu hawk
Who's doing the maintenance on the Multi? If you're doing your own valve adjustments, belt changes, etc., then keep the Duc...otherwise, keeping the low maintenance VTR could be the ticket...

I'll be doing the maintenance on the Duc, I don't like other people's wrenches touching my bike . It's no harder to do a valve adjustment on the 'Strada than on the VTR... it's just takes more time since there are 2 shims per valve. Same thing goes for the belts. The maintenance interval on the Duc is 12k miles... it's 16k for the VTR if I recall correctly. The difference is the Duc WILL need shims changed out every 12k miles... the VTR hasn't needed a single shim in 30k miles.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
I part out bikes for a living, so aside from the non-stop crying while I tear it down it'll just be another day. There's not too many upgrades the Duc needs. The suspension it already great, it's got almost as much power, and its comfortable. I'll just need to add some saddlebags and exhaust to get here where I want it.
You really think you can get alot more parting it than selling it outright? I am asking because i am thinking about parting out my 98 Hawk with around 4,000 miles on it because i already have it half apart getting ready for new tires, carb cleaning etc... I dont have any time to work on it so i may just buy a different hawk. Any idea what i can get parting it?
Old 04-07-2011, 01:07 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Well the Ducati is the "better" bike, but IMO one of the ugliest things on two wheels ever made.

Plus I have had 3 friends with different Ducati's and no matter how **** about maintenance they were, all 3 died from severe engine damage in normal, non abusive use. (1 rod, 1 valvetrain, 1 exploded) They all moved on to jap/german bikes and have had no problems with those.

So my vote is: if you can afford to replace the engine at any time with no notice, get the duc. Otherwise, keep the VTR.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:07 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
Hmmm... parting out vs selling whole?????

Originally Posted by superdutyd
You really think you can get alot more parting it than selling it outright? I am asking because i am thinking about parting out my 98 Hawk with around 4,000 miles on it because i already have it half apart getting ready for new tires, carb cleaning etc... I dont have any time to work on it so i may just buy a different hawk. Any idea what i can get parting it?
Everything is SOLDSOLDSOLD
Thanks everybody & enjoy!
RC

Okay, let's move this baby cuz I need the garage space. There are so many parts I can't begin to list them with prices, but here's a start with some of the bigger items:

RC51 SP2 fork legs with 954 upper and SP1 lower triples $500 SOLD
RC51/954 Front Fender with brackets for brake lines & reflectors $100 SOLD
RC51 SP2 Front Wheel + Tire, Rotors & Axle $300 SOLD
RC51 brakes - calipers w/ newer pads $100 SOLD
Tank $100 - SOLD

Erion full Race SS Headers and Cans $300SOLD
Penske Double Clicker Rear Shock $500 SOLD
900rr Rear Wheel + Tire + Sprocket $100 SOLD
Newer Custom (Tweety) Lithium Ion Battery - $100 SOLD

Red Front Fairings with smoke double bubble windshield, headlight & turn signals (no tail section) $400 SOLD
900rr Braced SH Rear Swingarm + brake Caliper Adapter $200 SOLD
Corbin leatherseat with red passanger seat cover - $100 SOLD
Matching Radial Clutch & Brake Master Cylinders w/SS lines - $200 SOLD
Airbox & Carbs - $100SOLD

Ported & Polished heads with os Moriwki valves & APE CCTs $500 SOLD
STG1 Moriwki Cams $500 SOLD

0.05 Bored Over Longblock w/new cam chains and unopened case w/tranny & OS JE HC Pistons $500 SOLD
Lightened Flywheel $100 SOLD
Undertail w/digital integraded signals with tail frame section & rear Faring $200 SOLD
Speedo console $100 SOLD
Speed Healer $75 SOLD
R1 Mirrors $25SOLD

Frame with clear title and brackets & bolts $300 SOLD
Frame sliders $50 SOLD
Wiring harness $100 SOLD
rear pegs & mounts $50 SOLD
front pegs $50 SOLD
rear brake...pedal/res/caliper/rotor/pads/SS line/light switch $50 SOLD
clutch slave with line & push rod $50SOLD
ECU $100SOLD
Starter $50SOLD
Shifter & linkage $75SOLD
Rads & hoses $50 SOLD
Clutch cover $50 SOLD
Flywheel cover $50 SOLD

Tool Kit $50 SOLD
Fan $75SOLD
R&R and Coil pack $50 SOLD
Ignition w/key $50SOLD
Kickstand with bracket & switch $50SOLD

Ventura Luggage rack - Frame System Only (bags already sold) - $100SOLD
Billet Velocity stacks $200 SOLD
Thermostat plus hoses $50SOLD
Air Scoops carbon/fiberglass $200 SOLD
Bar/controls/grips/cruise control $50 SOLD
Oil lines & cooler $50 SOLD
Pit Bull Front & Rear Stands $100 SOLD
Belly pan fairing with mounting brackets & bolts - Grey & dirty $50SOLD
Speed Sensor and cable $35 SOLD

$3500 bike for $7000

Last edited by JPP; 04-07-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:30 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by lazn
Plus I have had 3 friends with different Ducati's and no matter how **** about maintenance they were, all 3 died from severe engine damage in normal, non abusive use. (1 rod, 1 valvetrain, 1 exploded) They all moved on to jap/german bikes and have had no problems with those.
Weird, I've seen a ton of Ducs with a boat-load of miles and from the research I've done I haven't heard of reliability issues. There was a recall on the valve guides, but thas already been addressed on mine. They seem like pretty bullet proof bikes as long as you keep up on the maintenance.

Last edited by inderocker; 04-07-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JPP

RC

Okay, let's move this baby cuz I need the garage space. There are so many parts I can't begin to list them with prices, but here's a start with some of the bigger items:

Tank $100 - SOLD

Red Front Fairings with smoke double bubble windshield, headlight & turn signals (no tail section) $400 SOLD

0.05 Bored Over Longblock w/new cam chains and unopened case w/tranny & OS JE HC Pistons $500 SOLD
Undertail w/digital integraded signals with tail frame section & rear Faring $200 SOLD
Speedo console $100 SOLD
Speed Healer $75 SOLD
R1 Mirrors $25SOLD

Frame sliders $50 SOLD
Wiring harness $100 SOLD
front pegs $50 SOLD
ECU $100SOLD
Starter $50SOLD
Rads & hoses $50 SOLD
Clutch cover $50 SOLD
Flywheel cover $50 SOLD

Tool Kit $50 SOLD
Fan $75SOLD
Ignition w/key $50SOLD

$3500 bike for $7000

Eh... you should probably keep in mind there, that that list contains some of the big ticket items... Like Moriwaki cams... So you aren't going to see those returns for a completely stock bike... But yeah, you definetely get more in parts...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Back Marker
Back Marker

superdutyd is on a distinguished road
Mine doesn't have the aftermarket bits, it's all stock. Did you sell all the parts on this forum?

Originally Posted by JPP

RC

Tank $100 - SOLD

Speedo console $100 SOLD
Speed Healer $75 SOLD
R1 Mirrors $25SOLD

Frame sliders $50 SOLD
Wiring harness $100 SOLD
front pegs $50 SOLD
ECU $100SOLD
Starter $50SOLD
Rads & hoses $50 SOLD
Clutch cover $50 SOLD
Flywheel cover $50 SOLD

Tool Kit $50 SOLD
Fan $75SOLD
Ignition w/key $50SOLD

$3500 bike for $7000
Old 04-07-2011, 02:58 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superdutyd
Mine doesn't have the aftermarket bits, it's all stock. Did you sell all the parts on this forum?
He didn't... But yes, another member did... There is a thread around here somewhere...

Keep in mind, you can get more on eBay... but also less... Depends on your luck... Now back to the topic?

Old 04-07-2011, 03:51 PM
JPP
Superstock

JPP is on a distinguished road
that was a post by FL02superhawk996 who ended up parting instead of selling the bike. It was loaded with upgrades and would have made someone a heck of a buy. But he wound up doubling his asking price by parting.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:19 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
I believe that interdocker has parted and sold his fair share of shawks- just not his own
Old 04-07-2011, 08:48 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I'd say keep your 'hawk....unless you're bored with it? If you do part it out, I'm eyeballing your rims...
Old 04-08-2011, 06:07 AM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
That Duc looks odd to me, like they put a 10 inch riser in between the motor section and the upper body/front end. My vote goes for the VTR, but I understand the need for a different style bike for your purposes. At this point I'm only good for 2-3 hours on the hawk before I'm ready to stop.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:13 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by inderocker
Weird, I've seen a ton of Ducs with a boat-load of miles and from the research I've done I haven't heard of reliability issues. There was a recall on the valve guides, but thas already been addressed on mine. They seem like pretty bullet proof bikes as long as you keep up on the maintenance.
They were all late 90's early 00's bikes, so that probably has something to do with it. (one of them, the one the valve went bad on, the dealer told my friend he didn't ride it hard enough.. he commuted on it)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:19 AM
SuperBike

Old Yeller is on a distinguished road
I bet the more you ride it, the more the looks will grow on you.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM
MotoGP

Wolverine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Well the Ducati is the "better" bike, but IMO one of the ugliest things on two wheels ever made.
Lazn, talk Inde into believing that statement and selling the Duc to me for a couple hundred more than he paid.

True, it isn't drop dead gorgeous (i think the bimmer s100rr is butt ugly), but sit on one. It just works. When you're riding it you can't see the cyclops front anyway.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 AM
MotoGP

A decision has been reached... anybody wanna buy a Multistrada?

Quick Reply: I Bought A 2005 Ducati Multistrad "S"..... Buh-Bye VTR??