Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

honda lost it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 AM
SuperBike

finepooch is on a distinguished road
honda lost it?

what is up with honda lately, specifically honda canada? they seem to be missing the mark on plenty lately.

they are setting up these powerhouse dealerships that will carry exclusive lines. they seem to be getting independent about things, pushing their dealers around.

then there is the cbr1000rr that is uglier than sin.

then the mess that takes the cake, the dn-01. i saw it at the bike show and it's worse in person than on paper. add the $17500(cad) price tag and i got something good out of it - a great laugh. i even pointed at the honda salesperson while laughing!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:01 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
They seem to be losing touch with their motorcycle roots. The DN-01? what a joke, exceeded only, of course, by the new Fury (the ultimate poser-cycle?). On the positive front, at least they are importing the CBF1000 and Varadero, two offerings our US cohorts do not get to sample.

In terms of their Powerhouse concept, they pulled the franchise from what was their best dealer in the Greater Montreal area (Ami Sport), all because they wouldn`t let themselves be bullied into spending millions of dollars to transform thetmselves into a Powerhouse dealership. Think what is essentially a car dealership has any clue about bikes? NOT.

Last edited by mikstr; 02-23-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:45 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by finepooch
then there is the cbr1000rr that is uglier than sin.

That's a matter of opinion of course.

then the mess that takes the cake, the dn-01. i saw it at the bike show and it's worse in person than on paper. add the $17500(cad) price tag and i got something good out of it - a great laugh. i even pointed at the honda salesperson while laughing!

You might be right, but Honda probably has something up their sleeve on that one. They are excellent at market research, so I expect that it will sell pretty well for them... especially considering that nobody else has anything like it. I'm not a fan of the bike, but then again I doubt I'm the target market for it either.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
SuperBike

who is the target market for the dn-01?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM
MotoGP

Their market research probably also told them to build the Pacific Coast..... sigh...
Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 AM
SuperSport

CentralCoaster is on a distinguished road
And their "market researchers" probably drive Civics.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road

I mean really..
Old 02-23-2009, 12:03 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
-Everybody who wanted a Burgman, but does not like Suzuki, their looks, features, power... etc. The Brgman is a good seller for Suzuki, why would Honda let them have all of the sales?

-Everybody who wants to enjoy 2 wheels but either don't want a manual transmission or don't know how to operate a manual transmission. It's almost an un-tapped market. Lot's of people want to buy/ride motorcycles, but have no idea how to operate them. Honda is reaching out to them... this is a good thing... it may just keep them afloat during hard times.

It may be hard for some of us motorcycle "purist's" to accept the DN-01 (It's certainly not my cup of tea...) but I'm sure there are many more who can't wait to buy one.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:16 PM
SuperBike

ah, scooter people who think they're buying something that looks like a motorcycle. gotcha.

actually i think the honda guy at the show told me the same thing.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Echos of the BMW push in the last decade to convert their dealers into boutique shops, eliminating all of the great 'first name basis' curmudgeon bike garage owners.

To fracture a phrase; "First, slay all the consultants!"
Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 PM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Actually the DN reminds me in some ways of the old PC800 that was such a huge non success you can probably still order one in the crate from Honda. As I said at the time I first saw it.."It looks like Honda shoved a Helix up a Hurricanes ***"

Don't give Hondas marketing too much credit they've had some tremendous flops remember the Valkerie, the GB500 which while cool in a way was so overpriced it couldn't succeed. The guy that said the DN-1 was a designed by a Civic driver is probably close to the truth.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 AM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
why does everyone bash civics? lol. I'll take civic over any other regular joe car out there everyday... but not a dn-01 thingy haha.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:19 AM
SuperBike

no matter how powerful honda thinks it is, it will never change motorcyclists and the way they buy bikes. they are fooling themselves.

the dn-01 is $17500cad!!! wtf are they thinking? by july they will be discounted to $10000cad! by the fall when honda is looking at 99% of their dn-01 inventory as unsold they will understand what a mistake it was.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:25 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
They seem to be losing touch with their motorcycle roots. The DN-01? what a joke, exceeded only, of course, by the new Fury (the ultimate poser-cycle?). On the positive front, at least they are importing the CBF1000 and Varadero, two offerings our US cohorts do not get to sample.

In terms of their Powerhouse concept, they pulled the franchise from what was their best dealer in the Greater Montreal area (Ami Sport), all because they wouldn`t let themselves be bullied into spending millions of dollars to transform thetmselves into a Powerhouse dealership. Think what is essentially a car dealership has any clue about bikes? NOT.
Here in Victoriaville we have one of the best Honda bike dealers, these guys are just awesome, they will split hairs to help riders, selling bike crates for trips, mess around to find a part in their stock to help a broken down biker, they sell as cheap as the stuff of the e-parts sellers and they even have competent mechanics !!!
As the car Honda dealer here tried to screw us big time, my father were saying that he would buy a Honda when his old 350 000 km Prelude would blow... well they punched a hole in a coolant hose and put some electrical tape on it writing down on the bill that immediate repair was needed. The car was taken in because of a stuck dizzy advance, it did not run and not a single drop of coolant was found on the driveway. I was following my father and stopped him before he lost all his coolant, there was rubber flakes hanging from the hole surroundings witch indicate a cutting tool was used extensively, no hose blow like this. I went back to the dealer and made the worst scene of my life history ended up in the showroom, they gave me money back, I freaked out some potential buyers for sure...well hopefully
I just can't imagine them become a bike dealer, these bow tie homos have no clue witch way to sit on a bike and specially not how to fix it. It will be the end of the best customer service you could get on our town and the beginning of corporate idiocy.

As for their lineup, where is their supermotard ?? Oh yeah there is a 230 air cooled...gotta rip uh

Last edited by gboezio; 02-24-2009 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:01 AM
SuperBike

i can just imagine some bean counter type who's never ridden a bike before sitting in his office dreaming up ways to make their lines of distribution cleaner. thinking about his numbers instead of his customers. if the customer is forgotten it will catch up to them.

also, this bit of taking the bikes away from bike shops and selling them out of a car dealership, they're narrowing their customer list. less customers often means more power for those remaining.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:57 AM
Back Marker

bigpat123
Ill say this the dn-01 i think is marketed to mostly women. I was at the South Carolina show this past weekend looked at who was around it and every time i looked there were at least 2 women and their husbands looking at it.(the husbands were standing back some) So I think that is their target. And why not do you really see your mom riding a CBR or R1 or any other sport bike. The DN-01 would also sell to many people that reside in large cities(NY, LA) and dont need to worry about theft(hell would you steal it) So honda going after a niche that has money and well could/would buy it. and yes i think its ugly and stupid.

The fury- I think Honda is doing the right thing...They are smacking harley in the face by saying your not the only chopper to be had. Is it kind of weak in my opinion but hey its the first try. And think about this is there allot of talk about it either way? Yes and isnt that what they want. Get people to walk in the dealerships and to see that then look at what else there is. and i would buy it as i get older. i may decide to step out of the sportbike box and damn it, i love honda products. Own nothing but honda. My drive way looks like a freaking convention. 88 hawk gt, 03 SH, 06 Pilot, 08 Accord coupe V6/6spd, 03 CL type s, 90 Civic hb(full roll cage, no engine yet), 88 Civic hb(recently sold waiting for pickup, just a shell)

And finally the new CBR 1000--The new nose does need some getting used to. I like the overall bike but i am not 100% on the nose. And i would still buy it.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
Squid

Gtrain00 is on a distinguished road
Finepooch: i cant help but to completely agree

the new 1000rr is hideous in my opinion also, and that dn-01 is some terrible cross of a cruiser and the buell 1125r.

Hopefully they will bounce back.. maybe by bringing back production of the SH or something :P.
kidding..
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM
MotoGP

RE: the Fury
I cannot imagine any Harley owners migrating over to that aberration. Harleys suck and so does the Fury. In case they haven`t noticed, Hog sales are way down as the Boomer love affair with bikes appears to be coming to an end (hardly a surprise since something that is so "in" today is inevitably "passé" tomorrow) so why follow Milwaukee's worst off the cliff ?

It seems that Honda (and they are not alone in that predicament BTW) have lost sight of what it takes to grow the market and attract new riders.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:51 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
For those that want a automatic motorcycle, the Aprilia Mana 850 is a much better option.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
SuperBike

dn-01, if nobody would steal it, why is it priced so high? $17500??????????

biking is not for everyone. some personalities(aggressive? assertive?) understand and are attracted to riding. those people understand why riding involves shifting through gears, that's part of the enjoyment. if you have to have an automatic tranny maybe riding isn't for you. maybe i'm missing the point.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:46 PM
SuperBike

You know I've been reading the comments and thinking about the alleged marketing and it strikes me as pretty lame ie marketing to women or men that don't want to shift gears. Doesn't Big Red already have the SilverWing a big 500cc Scooter. I see them on the freeway and around town. Wouldn't it have been simpler to built a 600 or 750 version of that concept and skip the ugly piece of crap that is the DN-1.

Like I said don't give the marketing guys too much credit or credibility with their spin!!
Old 02-24-2009, 05:59 PM
SuperBike

the handle bars has plastic covers!!!!!!!!!!!!1 bbbbaaaaahhhhhaaaaaaa
Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
MotoGP

On the other hand, they sell Harleys by the boatload and you can"t get more useless or tacky than that....
Old 02-24-2009, 10:09 PM
SuperBike

You know the poor Japanese OEM's have been trying to beat Harley at their own game for years and just can't do it. If you want a Harley your not going to settle anything other than a Harley.

Personally there are only one or two Harleys that I would ever consider owning, the new flat track derived unit actually looks pretty good (I forget it's model name) and I would only buy it if I had all the other bikes I would want first.

The last time I rode an HD was a newer unit that was touring oriented (again I forget the model) and while I can't remember that there are two things I do remember. All of the waves and thumbs up signs my ex and I got going south on the 5 fwy, and the thing vibrating so much the odo **** flew off and hit my ex in the face sheid!

I don't get the mistique but it's there and Japan Inc has been able to duplicte it in 20+ years of trying.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:54 AM
SuperBike

xr1200

i don't hate hardleys but they sure have sold out. not just sold out to the allmighty buck, but literally have sold out of all the bikes they've made for years.

i'd rather have a hardley than a dn-01. someday honda will be ashamed of that bike.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:02 PM
Squid

Rock Storm is on a distinguished road
Bought a new Civic coupe last year and we had a CRX before that. The Civic coupe was the only car they got now that I liked. The new bikes? Man you are 1000% right! The DN01 must be to try and top Polaris's Vision in the Ugly wars. The new Cbr is a nice bike but my god the nose. They stopped making the XR650R(liquid) and only make the old 650l(air cooled) that has been around forever. They have zero liquid cooled dual purpose bikes. The Fury is butt ugly but I bet they sell a s--tload.

The competition is loving what Honda is doing. They better get on the ball or they are going to get left in the dust.

Oh and the biggest mistake of all They stopped making the VTR!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 04:49 PM
SuperBike

the tail of the cbr1000rr is ugly too. oh, the vent in the side of the fairing. and yes, you guys are right about the nose. and then there's the...

one thing they got right, it's got the performance numbers
Old 02-27-2009, 08:19 PM
Squid

Rock Storm is on a distinguished road
one thing they got right, it's got the performance numbers
That's true. I bet its damn pretty behind the bars on a nice twisty section.