Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

grey hair vtr riders

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
grey hair vtr riders

hey guys, im new to the forum, but have been ridin since i was a kid with my xr100 to s3 thunderbolt to my 8 day old vtr ... granted , not nearly as much as you guys.... partially because im only 25. i was reading the speeding ticket post (highly recommended) , and someone replied by saying they think old age has gotten them out of tickets... and then several people replied to this post concurring with the comment. i kinda like the idea that im the only youngin with a vtr in this forum it seems. all of us ride for different reasons, and all of us picked the vtr for other reasons as well.... one reason i picked it was cus its different... no one i know has it... but looking at the posts and seeing people's ages.... you guys are rockin for being 40+ ! ! ! this is one mean kitty to ride! just wanted to put my 2 bits in. any other younger riders feel the same? just askin, gentlemen.... my hat is tipped to you too.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:23 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
25? That's not much younger than me (26). :P Given a large enough sample size, I'm sure you'll find lots of older riders along with new ones.

I think the VTR appeals to mature riders because it can be had for a great price and isn't as much of a rack as the current crop of sportbikes. It's still every bit as capable as most bikes. And the difference is made up with the modifications you can purchase with the money you've saved.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Squid

demetri
hey ClevelandSuperhawkRumble,

i couldnt agree more that this is a sweet ride. and my hat is off to you for making the mature decision that midrange grunt is far more valuable on the street than top end power could ever be.

i can tell you that, around here, my being 37 did not help my last ticket!
Old 03-13-2005, 08:13 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble
Re: grey hair vtr riders

well i got my first ticket last year for passing 4 cars on the right side.... then again, got it thrown out cus my brother is a county prosecutor and he looked it up, and in most states, like ohio, if you dont move into the outer margin past the white line and can fit..... its not illegal! ! ! couldnt believe it. again, this was at a stop light and i could squeeze by to turn right. check out the revised code for your state.. youde be surprised.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:58 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also a younging as some would say (26).

I picked the superhawk because its one of the bikes that I lusted after a few years ago. I love the 916/996/998 and the TL-S's. The used 996's were still way out of my price range, and they weren't that compy to sit on. I was looking for a TL-S as well. But I couldnt find any used TL-S, let alone any in the price range that I wanted or with lower miles on it. I really like the fact that they were fuel injected! I love the sounds of the V-twins.

I look at riding from a use point of view.

Where do I use the bike? For me I use it on the street, so thats where I want the power, not at 15K rpms. I run back roads, highway, and stop light to stoplight. So I may not have 150hp at the top end, but how often do I ride at or near red line.

My first bike was a 600CBR F1 (The hurricane) and I loved the bike except for the fact that you wouldnt get any decent power out of it until it hit 5K. From 5K to 11.5K it was a hell of a ride, but it was a lot of work getting the engine to stay in that powerband.

Although I may not the leader of the pack I am right on the heels of the newest generation of bikes, the superhawk is still a heck of a bike. I love that I can spend hours on it and still be comfortable. With a jet kit added the bike pulls much stronger and with a pipe to soon be added I will have the sound that I love too.

I know that I lot of the riders are 40+ and I think thats great. I give you props for still riding and still riding one mean machine.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point

I am 33, and first rode a chicken when I was 30.

the next day, I had convinced my friend to buy a hawk(I had no money, and he was looking for a new ride).

Now I have one too.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:45 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for "the love" ClevelandSuperhawkRumble!
You're like 5 years younger than my son (not to mention the 2 grandkids).
Yeah, the 'Hawk is an awesome bike. When I'm out on the back roads & up in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns., I'm just amazed at how satisfying it is to ride a bike fast & well. I just hope I'm able to do this for a lot of years to come; I can't really imagine life without this exhilaration in it!
Old 03-14-2005, 02:03 PM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point

I luv my Firestorm cause of the torque, its a Honda, and it has LOTS of character. I'll take a big block over a small block anyday. The kind of real world power people lust after, even though they may not realize it, is torque.

One of the surprising revelations of getting older, other than older women can be hot too, is that my character hasn't aged. I figure I have the maturity lvl of my low - mid twenties, the only mental difference being more knowledge.

Teenager - "I'm going for it. If I die, I die."

Mid twenties - "I'm going for it but I'm not going to go crazy"

Mid thirties to now - "I'm going for it, but carefully."

As you can see, the will is still there however sooner or later the lucky ones learn that reality and concequenses can bite....HARD. Some call it fear, I call it hazardous concequence avoidance.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point

hazardous concequence avoidance

Odd .................that is how some people respond when you ask them "why didnt you marry her"
Old 03-14-2005, 03:58 PM
SuperSport

My buddy and I stopped into this old style motorcycle shop (very small independant hole-in-the-wall) where lots of bike lovers of all ages hang out. Anyway, I'm in the helmet section holding an $1,800 helmet, carefully, when this old guy (old to me - 70+) in very worn and unique full leathers starts chatting to me. My buddy and I make it outside with the old dude still chatting following us. He admires our bikes, talks about them with alot of knowledge. Conversation is getting a little tired and I pop my helmet on looking around for his ride, some naked Goldwing, Nighthawk or cruiser. He turns around and throws is leg over an R1. I look around at the other people in the parking lot, fully expecting someone to yell at the old guy to "get off my bike" when he fires it up. My head spins to my buddy and we are locked wide eye'd on one another and then back to the skinny, short, white haired, WW2 vet disappearing down the road on an R1 with no chicken strips. Riiight effen ON!

It felt really good at 42 to still be a mere punk.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:56 AM
Squid

demetri
NOrrTH's story hits it right on! We should never lose sight of what makes us feel alive! That gentleman could have been couped up with his rocking chair and his memories but he chose to be making new ones. Fantastic!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Back Marker

Rollingalong
Originally Posted by L8RGYZ";p=&quot
I can't really imagine life without this exhilaration in it!
I am 47 and bikes are still the best therapy that there is

If more people rode bikes , there would be less need for the " shrinks " out there

I say ride while we can . Even the younger groups cause life's short and uncertain
Old 03-15-2005, 09:09 AM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

wow, i thought you older gents would have taken my post the wrong way and thought i was bashing you ! ! ! glad your havin fun at that age still . yeah, at 25, i ride the hawk cus i like to get away, love the scenic landscapes in Ohio's valleys, and love the girls loving me . heh heh . hope im still bobbin and weavin when im 45 . maybe my bike will be fuel injected with no flat spots in the power range ! ! see ya
Old 03-15-2005, 09:49 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point

43 Here ,heading to tracjk day soon on the SuperChicken. Just think you got years of riding left. When you get to 43 i hope i am still twisting a throttle on some bike.

My real ride is a CRF450R motocross, bike, yes we guys still can do it in the woods with the best of them at 43.

Think about it this was, we are just seasoned riders with loads of real life experience.

i have been riding/racing dirt bikes for 30 plus years, which is a load of experiencce when it comes to terrain and conditions off-road as well as on road.

Old enough to know better, young enough to still do it anyway..........

Keep the rubber side down, unless of course in the dirt where crashes are just a laugh and pick it up and go. No $1000.00 worth of plastic damage.......
Old 03-15-2005, 11:05 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Ditto on the track day thing. I've done a couple over the past 3 years & hope to do a couple more this year @ Virginia International Raceway.
I'm a bit nervous about doing it with this bike. Part of it's because I just got the 'Hawk in Oct. & partly because I crashed in Turn 1 at VIR South on my first trackday. I'd told my wife I was gonna take it easy since it was the last session of the day...yeah, that worked 'til the "control rider" on the R1 flashed by & motioned for me fo follow him. Neither my brakes, rubber, judgement or skills were up to the task as I tried to pursue him into "the Bitch" (actual name of the turn) at the end of the back straight.
Fortunately it was the last session of the day & the lowside just caused cosmetic damage...to the bike. I broke a shoulder bone at the rotator cuff.
All in all, not too bad. Physical therapy...not that IS a bitch!
Old 03-15-2005, 04:41 PM
faz
Superstock

faz

37 here, and have been riding since teenage years (had an extended absence from riding, but back on it for the last 5 years).

I don't think I will ever stop riding, unless of course I physically can't anymore. The beauty of riding is that you can have almost the same amount of fun, riding a $1500 fixer upper or a $20k 05 999. The "fun' part remains the same.

I love the v-twin engine. Had an F4i before, and even though I liked it enough that to date I still beat myself for selling it, I had to rev the **** out of it to get the power I wanted, and I never liked that. The vtwin does a great job starting from 4k, and that is what I like on the street..

I look at this sport as something I will be doing for the rest of my life. That, alone, makes me better understand where I am right now (newbie still in the grand scheme of things), and in no rush to get too fast too soon, which leaves me enough time to learn before trying... something that has kept me out of any type of accidents on my bike all of my life.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Motorcyclenut!
Squid

prhenderson

I have been riding since 1964 (10 years old) and have my sixth grandchild on the way. Both my sons (27 and 31) ride too.

Motorcycles have been a part of my life since I can remember (my dad rode a 47 Harley until I was 8 ). I have done about every kind of riding/racing at least once except for ice racing. Last year, I finished 2nd place in points at our local drag strip with a 77 GS 750 I threw together. These days, at 51, I commute about 1200 miles per month on my Ninja 250 (http://www.ninja250.org/Phil%20in%20San%20Diego ) and ride my Superhawk on those "special" occasions and weekends.

After owning over 60 some odd motorcycles in my lifetime, the Superhawk is the cream of the crop! The Ninja is great for what I bought it for (60 miles per gallon, 12 mile daily hiway -each way- commute and daily in town traffic/parking situations) I used my Suoerhawk at first for commuting, but the tires wore really fast and I got tired of getting fuel every other stinking day.

Anyway, I hope I will always be able to ride, no matter what my age. We have a 78 year old man that leads or monthly CMA rides and he looks like he's got alot of years left. I hope all true motorcyclists will be like that!

Take care and God Bless!

phil
Old 03-18-2005, 12:52 PM
SuperSport

Great thread. Too bad only we get to read it.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

it is a great thread man! maybe i deserve a point or two ? ? ? heh :P
Old 03-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Squid

demetri
we should start a club!

the superchickens!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

lol, that reminds me of thunderchicken , you know, the nickname for the unbeatable thunderbird car. RumbleHawks BABY ! ! ! ehhh i dunno
Old 03-25-2005, 03:31 PM
Back Marker

Hawknut

Hey Cleveland-----From what I've read on the age post. Your still the kid here-----------Just kidding.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:54 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

you are right! this was the point of my original post! heh heh. though, my lady friend has plucked 2 or 3 of those white buggers out of my head this past year.... must be from me waiting for the spring to ride! grrrrrrrrr
Old 03-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Superstock

cdyer77

Originally Posted by NOrrTH";p=&quot
Anyway, I'm in the helmet section holding an $1,800 helmet, carefully, when this old guy (old to me - 70+) in very worn and unique full leathers starts chatting to me.
What does a $1800 helmet look like! Damn, I spent almost $550 and thought that was expensive.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

it has a .50 caliber sniper rifle mounted to the top to remove vermin on the road before you hit them in your path!
Old 03-26-2005, 02:46 PM
SuperSport

There were a couple (thats cdn funds btw - about $1200 US). They looked like Shoei's but had limited edition signed graphics on them.

*pops cheek with index finger and wiggles it in the air*
Old 03-28-2005, 06:59 PM
Superstock

ClevelandSuperhawkRumble

yes, i love hearin replies like that one Eric! hail to the TWIN gods ! ! !

deals gap.... i need to go here... west north carolina right??