Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Bike Hire in Las Vegas

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
Squid

ozstorm is on a distinguished road
Bike Hire in Las Vegas

Hi guys, I'm heading over to the US (from Aus) in a month for a holiday. I'll be in Vegas for 3-4 days, and since i cant take my beloved Storm (sorry Hawk) with me, I was thinking of hiring a bike and heading out to the Grand Canyon for a day trip with my gf on the back.

Nothing strange there, now this is the tricky part (please be kind).
Since i'm visiting the US for the first time, i want to hire a Hardley so i can have the full US of A experience.
I've ridden plenty of bikes here, but never ridden a HD, so i figure the perfect time for the experience would be when over there.

So, has anyone hired from somewhere in LV before? I've searched the net and found a few places, but just looking for some real life experiences if any one on the list has done this in LV before, and can recommend any shop in particular.

Thanks guys.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:33 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Someone I know rented a Harley for a trip near/through Las Vegas. Let me see if I can dig up that info.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:11 AM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
http://www.eagleriderlasvegas.com/

http://www.lasvegasharleydavidson.co...8I51JPMQ1426R0

http://www.escapeeagles.com/

From Vegas to the North Rim, You're looking at about 250 miles one way
From Vegas to the South Rim, You're looking at about 275 miles one way

The North Rim is over 8000 feet/2438 m above sea level. Any carbureted bike can become problematic if not setup properly for running at that altitude. My SH is tuned for sea-level (Beach, California). when I ride out into the mountains, I can tell when I get above about 6000 feet, it runs very rich, bogs, and has problems starting when cold. Let your rental company know where you are headed, so they can setup the bike(s) properly.

You don't say WHEN you'll be taking your trip, but the North Rim can get snow Anytime November thru April. The South Rim occasionally, Dec-Feb. If you are visiting in the winter months, and plan on traveling via Cycle, plan on dressing for weather in the 40's and 50's with nightime lows in the 20's and 30's

The North Rim is much less visited, and has much better roads leading up to it (for cycle riding). However, the route there is via very rarely traveled roads, and it would suck to get stranded out there. The South Rim has 10 times the visitors, and is much better traveled, but can be very crowded. The roads to the south rim tend to be choked with SUV's/RV's and rental cars.
http://www.nps.gov/archive/grca/gran...-rim/index.htm
http://www.nps.gov/archive/grca/gran...-rim/index.htm

Another option you might want to consider is Zion National park in Utah (Springdale,Utah)
http://www.nps.gov/zion/
It's only about 150 miles, and has scenery that rivals the Grand Canyon (just not on the same scale). the bonus is you can ride THROUGH the bottom of the Canyon, and also thru a 1.1 mile tunnel (watch it, it gets slippery in there).

The Added bonus to Zion, is that it is somewhat one the way to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. Allowing you to do both in the same day (with a sleepover in springdale, or @ the north Rim Lodge). It's only 100 Miles from Zion(Springdale) to the North Rim.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Squid

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the info.

I'll be going in Mid Dec - so I'll remember to rug up with some warm riding gear, and to make sure i get an injected bike to deal with the altitude better.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
One other thing to keep in mind. Most of the roads to either rim are side roads. Speed limits are much lower, and more likely to get clogged by slower moving vehicles. It takes roughly 5 hours to travel the 250 miles to the North Rim and about 5-5.5 to the south rim. Once you factor in the time you spend viewing the Grand Canyon, you might want to consider accomodations in the area, rather than trying to ride back to vegas in the same day/night.

There are MANY places to stay near the south Rim, but the North Rim has sparse accomodations. Basically the Lodge at the rim (make reservations NOW), or trackback to Kanab, Utah, or go to Page, AZ.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:06 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Eagle Riders...that's the one.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:02 AM
Back Marker

3D02 is on a distinguished road
I'll be going in Mid Dec - so I'll remember to rug up with some warm riding gear, and to make sure i get an injected bike to deal with the altitude better.
Having grown up in the area you are totally nuts for wanting to ride a bike at that time of the year. If you do be careful on those roads as you get closer to the canyon for alot of it is on Indian land (tribal cops+ open range for sheep, cows, dogs) and the other is that you get people trying to pass in areas where they shouldn't. Its a all two-lane stuff.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:33 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
If you have time, don't rule out the nat'l parks EAST of LV (Zion, Bryce). They are, IMO, just as impressive in their own ways that are entirely different from the canyon. It could be snowing there.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Back Marker

If you have time, don't rule out the nat'l parks EAST of LV (Zion, Bryce). They are, IMO, just as impressive in their own ways that are entirely different from the canyon. It could be snowing there.
Amen to that!

Name:  929RR1.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  62.8 KB
Name:  Tunnel1.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  60.0 KB

Add to that the state parks. Kodachrome for instance is pretty cool.
Name:  Kodachrome2.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  128.2 KB
Old 11-10-2006, 07:20 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Dammit, I had the entire front page filled my just MY replies and then you had to screw it up with your great pics in a great park. PAH.

(shamless and worthless reply to fill said to get front page back to 100% superbling!)
Old 11-10-2006, 07:27 AM
Back Marker

Dammit, I had the entire front page filled my just MY replies and then you had to screw it up with your great pics in a great park. PAH.

(shamless and worthless reply to fill said to get front page back to 100% superbling!)
The pics of the 954 are on the way up to Bryce. What is called Red Canyon. I can take 'em down if you'd like. I can't help myself though. Bryce (actually Panguitch) is where the in-laws are from and one of our yearly stops every summer.
I wanna see pictures from your adventures.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Squid

Thanks again for the info guys.
If i do end up doing a little touring on a bike (not so sure now after 3D's advice) I'll be sure to post a pic or two.

...i still like the idea of cruising along a big ol' Electra Glide, but rather than book anything in advance, i might just wait until i get there to see the weather etc, then take my chances finding one on the day (day before).

Thanks again all for the suggestions.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:04 AM
Back Marker

If i do end up doing a little touring on a bike (not so sure now after 3D's advice) I'll be sure to post a pic or two.
The problem with going into AZ or UT is that you are going quite high in elevation. The north rim of the Grand Canyon is 8000 feet/2438 m in elevation so its going to be coooooold. The south rim averages 7,000 feet (2,134 meters). The south rim has temps. during the day from the teens to the low thirties. They close the road to the north rim from mid-November to mid-May.http://www.nps.gov/archive/grca/gran...nformation.htm

If this trip has to be done in the winter you still have plenty of other places to ride. Outside Vegas you have The Valley of Fire State Park. http://parks.nv.gov/vf.htm
Or you can ride down and tour Hoover/Boulder dam.

If I were you I would wait until summer so you could tour all the parks in relative warmth.

Karl
Old 11-15-2006, 09:54 PM
Squid

Good advice. Thanks.

Unfortunately I'm only in the states for a few weeks, so waiting for warmer weather isn't an option.
I had a good look around those websites and have decided to pass on the 2 wheels idea, and probably just hire a car and do some exploring that way.
A lot less stress than worrying about icy spots on the road etc when riding.
Either that or do one of those flight/heli rides to get some overall perspective of the size etc of the GC.

Thanks again for the local knowledge.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:47 AM
Back Marker

Yeah the helicopter thing is a big deal. You see those things constantly taking off. Hell, you'll be busy taking in Vegas for the most part. Even if you are not into the whole gambling thing (like myself) its a pretty awesome spectacle. Good luck!