Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Arc Welder

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 03:00 PM
Superstock

dshakes is on a distinguished road
Arc Welder

I see alot of you guys cutting and welding,welding and cutting and i need some help. I am thinking about getting an arc welder and learning how to weld. Is an arc welder what i would need (on budget) to get started? If so what are some of the ratings or whatever to look for? And dont worry, i will practice alot before i do anything serious with it. I know a guy who is goin to show me the "ropes" so to speak. Thanks guys.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:38 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I would spend a little more for a Mig setup, ARC welders are very limited and will never do aluminum.

And really you need not spend a lot. Look for a used small 110v Miller, Lincoln Electric or Hobart welder. Stay away from the cheap Chinese ones, they will cost about the same for a new one as a used good one will, but will last half as long.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:41 PM
2nd mouse gets the cheese
SuperBike

Little_Horse is on a distinguished road
Lazn is mostly right, a mig welder is also an arc welder though, and so is a TIG welder. What Lazn is referring to is a stick welder, aka a buzz box, farm welder etc. It is the cheapest but has the least versatility. So my advice find a brand name mig or tig welder prefferably a miller, or a lincoln those two brands are the best and have been making a good quality product for years so even a really old one is still a good investment. The only major difference between new and old is how much smaller the new ones have become. I would start by looking for a millermatic 135 or higher, or a lincoln 175 wire feed welder.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Millermatic 135 is a great welder. Have had mine for over a year on some big projects with no problems. I use Hobart 140's at work and they are also very well made. Would recommend learning stick first for fundamentals, but mig will be your best friend. Keep an eye out on Craigslist and you will deffinently find a killer deal!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Superstock

Good info fellas. We have a stick welder at work that i can screw around with so i will invest in a mig welder for home. Thanks.

(Now if i could just find some mig exhaust cans...)
Old 03-29-2010, 06:08 PM
SuperBike

uchi is on a distinguished road
if youre near canada i suggest getting the canadian tire flyer. i bought a flux core and mig combo welder a month ago for $250 cdn. half price of what its worth. mastercraft brand so it comes with a good warranty. you can run the fluxcore wire through it or switch it to mig with the mig wire and the bottle of whatever goodness they put into there
Old 03-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Superstock

So im looking around and i see all these different numbers like 250amp or 300amp and 110v and 220v. I know what they mean but not how it relates to the qaulity of the welder. Then you got the ya205 A mig,then the lincoln pro mig 140,snap on 212a,lincoln k2403 mig 350 mp. Can you guys help me decipher this stuff a little bit? Oh, and flux core and solid. I know solid wire needs argon gas and flux core does not correct? Difference in qaulity?

Last edited by dshakes; 03-29-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: more questions....
Old 03-29-2010, 06:23 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
There are three welder companies that make products that are worth while, Miller, Lincoln, ESAB. The brands that are badged with names that you have heard before (snapon, hobart, etc) are made by one of the three, and the three are the only ones worth buying.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
i got mig hobart 140 handler. its a 120v so its perfect around the house! i would really love a mig/tig combo welder 220v. but i dont have a big fancy shop yet, so for now the hobart does most things i need from a welder at the house. i can weld up to 1/4 inch steel and its perfect for pipes, mufflers. but the best part about a mig welder is it is soooo freaking easy to use!! you practically need no skill to weld a half *** decent bead! if you want pretty welds out of a cracker box,or a tig it takes considerably more skill. ive been welding 15years or so and for a novice welder nothing beats a mig!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:35 PM
Destructive Tester
Superstock

bjorn toulouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by dshakes
So im looking around and i see all these different numbers like 250amp or 300amp and 110v and 220v. I know what they mean but not how it relates to the qaulity of the welder. Then you got the ya205 A mig,then the lincoln pro mig 140,snap on 212a,lincoln k2403 mig 350 mp. Can you guys help me decipher this stuff a little bit? Oh, and flux core and solid. I know solid wire needs argon gas and flux core does not correct? Difference in qaulity?

The first thing you need to do is figure out what power level you have available in the garage (or where you will be using the machine). If you only have 120volts available, a 220volt machine won't work for you.

Once you have the volts figured out, you need to decide what type of material you will be welding on. Then you can start narrowing down the field, so to speak.

I see, "Go Buckeyes!", under your avatar. If you are in Ohio check out Lincoln. They offer a Motor Sports welding class that is well worth the $$ and time (1 week).
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/focus...ool/school.asp

You also might want to check out your local community college. They usually have a welding course.

I am a Lincoln fan.

Name:  sw255rodtubes.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  82.9 KB

Because you need a good machine to make stuff like this.

Name:  Img_0277.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  183.9 KB

Rex
Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 AM
Superstock

Thanks for all the info and input. Thanks for the link Bjorn.That is definitely why i would like to get into welding.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Basically it comes down to whether you prefer blue or red! Both make a great machine. The 140/180 versions make great shop/light industrial machines. Esab also makes a good product, huge in Europe. Check out Millerwelds.com - it's got tonnes of great info. When you've done a bit of research go to your neighborhood welding/gas supplier, tell them what you need and they'll suggest a couple of machines and give you pricing.
Old 04-01-2010, 03:00 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
I agree, if you have a 220 V outlet, go 220 V, don't waste money on flux core MIGs, like those from Canadian tires, the local ads are packed with them from people buying them and selling them right away, if you want to try one, don't buy it new.

A miller gas MIG will give you good looking steel and stainless welds, with a spool gun descent aluminum welds, running Al wire will make nasty birds nests since it's too soft to be pushed trough the long cable.

For the best looking welds TIG is the best, I bought a Miller Diversion 165, it's probably all you need for hobbyist motorcycle fabrication, but it's expensive. For the pros, it won't be enough the torch overheats so you have to wait between the beads, specially on the thick stuff. It draws 22 amps, not like the synchrowave 200 light dimming amps.

The best bang for the buck on welding equipment is a gas torch with two rented bottles, you won't be able to weld Aluminium, (well I did, but it sucks), but will be able to braze, weld stainless, steel, chrome moly, bend, cut steel, loosen rusty bolts and light cigarettes. This is the hardest to weld with, but once you can gas weld, all the other welders are cake.

Simply yes a 220V Gas MIG is a good flexible machine that will keep it's value, specially if you buy one used, you will be able to resell it for the same price. Usually you get the helmet and some supplies that the seller won't need anymore.

Post weld **** please !!

Edit : good info here :
http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/index.html

Last edited by gboezio; 04-01-2010 at 03:05 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Superstock

So your saying the flux core wire is no good? This is something that will just be in my garage so i wont have 220. Im on abudget too which sucks but i will get what i can. You can always upgrade.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:54 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by dshakes
So your saying the flux core wire is no good? This is something that will just be in my garage so i wont have 220. Im on abudget too which sucks but i will get what i can. You can always upgrade.
Flux is great when you don't want to lug a bottle around, don't need a pretty bead and aren't worried about cleanup. (spatter, fumes, etc etc)

But getting a flux only welder would be a bad idea though.

I got a Miller Sidekick for CHEAP off Craigslist. It is basically a Miller 135 in a older - bigger box.

Lincoln is just as good of a brand and easier to find parts for at normal stores like homedepot, but the welding stores will have more miller parts in my experience.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM
Deus vult!
Back Marker

Mr Toad is on a distinguished road
Millermatic 211 Autoset MVP - multi voltage - 115 or 230. Very user friendly, welds up to 3/8". I've got them on sale for $990 CDN, the Diversion 165 is $1490. Just remember, you can do small jobs with a bigger machine but not big jobs with a smaller machine!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by lazn
Flux is great when you don't want to lug a bottle around, don't need a pretty bead and aren't worried about cleanup. (spatter, fumes, etc etc)

But getting a flux only welder would be a bad idea though.

I got a Miller Sidekick for CHEAP off Craigslist. It is basically a Miller 135 in a older - bigger box.

Lincoln is just as good of a brand and easier to find parts for at normal stores like homedepot, but the welding stores will have more miller parts in my experience.
I definitely wont get flux only. Just wanted some opinions on it. I wont be hauling it anywhere(i say that now...)so gas will work but i will have the flux core around anyway. Jeez,so much to consider!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
MotoGP

I am not sure where you are but assuming ohio I found this fairly quick:
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/tls/1667774916.html

oh and don't use Flux core wire with gas, sure it works, but it accomplishes nothing.. you get just as much spatter fumes and cleanup as if you didn't. Use solid wire with gas and flux core without.
Old 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Superstock

t-dogg is on a distinguished road
Yes, keep your eyes on craiglist. There are some amazing deals from people that bought a welder and used it once then have no need for it..
Old 04-02-2010, 04:02 AM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
flux is great for outdoor applications. gas gets blown away with just a little bit of wind. so dont just forget about the trusty flux wire just yet. if your welding up some pipes under a car for instance who cares about looks when it wont ever be seen. ive got two bottles 25/75, aragon and can lay some decent welds with my handler. as far as the birds nest you just have to get a small wire, bigger tip,and dont put much pressure on the wire feed. you will still run into some kinking,but if you watch it you can get good results from a 120v mig. that being said anything you want to be perfectly eye pleasing has to be tig. fortunatly i have the keys to a shop containing about 20 miller 250 syncrowaves 480 3phase!
Old 04-02-2010, 04:55 AM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Yep as said the main problem with flux core is ugliness, Gas mig on steel and SS looks pretty descent and easy to learn. Pretty Al is TIG or pulsed MIG $$$$
TIG and gas torch welding is art territory

Name:  DSCN2581lowres.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  117.5 KB
Name:  DSCN2891.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  138.7 KB

Last edited by gboezio; 04-02-2010 at 04:59 AM.