Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

Any East Coasters?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Squid

redhawk4dpt is on a distinguished road
Any East Coasters?

Hey gang!

There's a strong chance I will be moving to the east coast in June (I am in Southern California now) and I am concerned about the salty roads as well storing my Hawk. Anyone here live in or around Manhattan or say around Danbury, CT? Can anyone comment about maintenance from the salt as well as storage? In terms of storage I am concerned with $$.

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2006, 08:53 PM
Back Marker

MisterMohawk
I live on Long Island and yes, the roads get salty in the winter, but it's a salt/sand mix, not the pure salt they use some places up north. As long as it's not icy or too damn salty out I'll be riding. If this winter is as mild as last year's there will be plenty of riding days.

As for maintinance just be sure to lube your chain OFTEN and if you can't thoroughly wash your bike after a ride at least rinse off the bits exposed to road grime to prevent corrosion.

I can't be of much help for the storage issue because I have a shop and a shed to keep my bikes in over the winter.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:06 PM
Squid

redhawk4dpt is on a distinguished road
MisterMohawk-

Cool! Thanks for the info! BTW, what type of shop do you have? You work on Hawks there? What is the riding scene like? Any close tracks?
Old 12-13-2006, 06:39 AM
Superstock

Lefin102 is on a distinguished road
redhawk

Winter sucks no good will come from it! If there is salt on the road I don't ride till the first rain washes it away. You do what you want.

However there is a new track going in South Jersey http://www.njmotorsportspark.com/

And Pocono isn't far along with others. Check out the local clubs for there schedule. Promotion, Sport Bike Track Time, Northeast Sportbike ***.

Good luck