Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

800...the new magic number?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 11:50 AM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
800...the new magic number?

this being the 1st season for the 800cc class in GP, are 800s going to be the next big thing?

i know i had an absolute blast on a 750 gixxer for a few weekends while a friend let me borrow it

how long before the technology makes its way onto the showrooms? it would seem its only a matter of time before the big 3 follow Ducati's footsteps in releasing a supersport 800.

anyone else excited to see what they cook up?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM
Back Marker

seaton001 is on a distinguished road
They raced 800cc machines all last year too in MotoGP.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:14 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I say 1200 V-twin! Although, I'm not sure why they went with such a big displacement advantage for twins again. That's what caused superbikes to go to the 1000cc i4, all but eliminating the twins. Now what?

MotoGP should have stayed at 990cc IMO. The 800s cost way more and end up in the same place, with higher revs. I'd like to see 990cc and way less traction control, as would the riders.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Bring back the 500 two-smokes!! Bring back the days when men were men, and little boys (PEDROBOT) couldn't just flick a switch to make the bike more manageable.

No more morning-drinking for me... :P
Old 03-17-2008, 01:02 PM
Superstock

Radiaoktiv is on a distinguished road
my bad, i thought this was the first full season of 800

Tourist Trophy is the closest Ive ever been to riding a two stroke superbike

it does seem like it would be a wild ride tho

Last edited by Radiaoktiv; 03-17-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:03 PM
SuperBike

Here's to that. I like the 4 strokes, but when you can jump on one after racing 250s and be immediately competitive, they're way too watered down. Traction control should be throttle control.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:05 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RCVTR
I say 1200 V-twin! Although, I'm not sure why they went with such a big displacement advantage for twins again. That's what caused superbikes to go to the 1000cc i4, all but eliminating the twins. Now what?

MotoGP should have stayed at 990cc IMO. The 800s cost way more and end up in the same place, with higher revs. I'd like to see 990cc and way less traction control, as would the riders.
I agree on all points.
I don't think it matters what the riders, teams, engineers or fans want. I think it all comes down to what the control freaks in charge of the "Ministry of Motorcycling" decide. Good racing isn't as important to them as doing whatever is politically correct or confusing. I honestly believe that the control freak bureaucrats would like to decide the outcomes of races and championships in the boardroom because of some or other technicality, like they do in Formula 1 and NASCAR.
Maybe they're on to something. Look at the success of NASCAR, which I consider to be the professional wrestling of motorsports. The sport absolutely sucks, but the fans don't care, because many of them are not really motorsports fans, they're just trendies riding the current wave. Maybe that's what the FIM wants.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Squid

Smileyhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by killer5280
Maybe they're on to something. Look at the success of NASCAR, which I consider to be the professional wrestling of motorsports. The sport absolutely sucks, but the fans don't care, because many of them are not really motorsports fans, they're just trendies riding the current wave. Maybe that's what the FIM wants.
+1 on the NASCAR comment, you've hit it on the head! I understand the need for a fan base to keep the sport alive. Moto racing coverage has been improving in the US, and I hope it keeps on going like that. But I don't want a bunch of drunk "frat boy" fans crowding in just to get rowdy. I think the Motorcycle events are more enjoyable because they are less crowded, and because most of the people you meet are interested in the sport and interesting to talk to. I love to go to NHRA events too, but I just listen to the top fuelers and drink beer all day, and that's not what I want form my Motorcycle racing events.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:26 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Is it just me, or is World Superbike way more entertaining & competitive than either MotoGP or AMA?

WSBK races are usually a fight to the finish involving any of a half dozen or so riders. Still can't figure our why they don't recruit at least 1 American rider to run in the series.

AMA... just say Suzuki, Mladin & Spies and there's not much of a story after that... and it's been that way for years. AMA... listen up, you're boring, boring, boring.

MotoGP is a little better, but all the politics with tires just turns my stomach. If you win on superior tires that were spoon-fed to you alone, while other get second tier product... well how can you be proud of a trophy "won" like that?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Back Marker

gssbmm
btw the same guys that own nascar now own ama road racing, and world superbike is so good because of the spec tire rules. spec tires make for great racing but not so good for tire development. and everyone on Stones in moto-gp get the same access to tires. michilen makes the one offs for there riders
Old 03-17-2008, 11:08 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
AMA has some decent privateers in it ( Jordan's man finished 3rd this year) and even some women in the field. It could be better for sure though. WSB is great because of the mix of old and new talent. But Moto GP, in whatever state of rules or traction control, just kicks *** due to the level of talent and mechanical wizardry. And hell yes I would love to see a Honda v4 800 for the street that is sport oriented. I love my superhawk but still dream about the gear drivin cam whines of my 87 VFR.

-=MM

Last edited by Moto Man; 03-17-2008 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:00 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
If price were not a factor i would be sitting on a new Duc 848 right now.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:45 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I don't long for a return of 2 smokes as that engine technology didn't really filtered down to the avg street rider like 4 strokes can.

Don't forget: Ducati has all ready unleashed an 800 V4 steetbike, the desmosedeci, albeit at $72K but it is (was) available to the general public.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Once the Desmosedeci has had a chance to resonate with Honda I don't think it will be long before the start looking at the MotoGP V4 800 engine and thinking about how to get it to market. Especially if they can tune it so that Nicky can win on it.

Can't wait for the rebirth of the RC30 (er RC800?)!

-=MM
Old 03-18-2008, 08:43 AM
SuperBike

I think Honda and the others competing in superbike are going to have to come up with a racing homologation that can compete within superbike rules. MotoGP doesn't require any production basis.

1000-V4 or 1200 V2 or another change in the rules. I believe the 20% displacement advantage will drive the production of another twin.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
The Desmosedici is a 990, not an 800
Old 03-18-2008, 11:29 AM
SuperBike

trinc is on a distinguished road
desmo RR - the son of the southern oregon ducati shop got his order in early - it arrieved here in portland so the local ducati shop had a viewing event. he fired it up a couple of times ! truely a work of art.

see some pics ( and the back of my head )

http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=103418

tim
Old 03-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Nice Duc! See now I don't think it's too far from possibility for Honda to throw some MotoGP lessons to the VFR and we end up a some kind of VFR-RR 800. It's not like they need to invent the class of bike. The VFR used to be a racing plaform. I don't think we will see another V twin from Honda they seem pretty focused on the CBR1000 for AMA. Things could change a bunch once KTM gets into the mix in WSB and maybe even AMA some day.

I found this VFR1000 info on the net....
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Ne...t/?R=EPI-93661

Looks like Honda has money to throw at the V4(V5?) afterall!!

-=MM

Last edited by Moto Man; 03-25-2008 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:22 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
has everyone read the recent test of the doc 1098r?

it has the 1200 motor with ALL the trick wsb bits but WITHOUT the restictors! so its even badder than the track bike!

and 8 selection levels of REAL traction control and the slipper! not the funky suzi ign control or other japanese sys. props to duc for thumbing their noses at the lawyers.

too bad its so expensive, much more than even the 1098s
Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Condor
If price were not a factor i would be sitting on a new Duc 848 right now.
Same here, I keep telling the wife that we need another bike.