Everything Else Anything and everything NON-VTR related

***PICS*** track day buttonwillow 9/7/09

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
***PICS*** track day buttonwillow 9/7/09

hey guys just wanted to post a few pics real quick...

Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Looks good!
Old 09-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Superstock

haha thx jbaxx. thinking about taking the superhawk out there next time, have to do a few things though

1. tires
2. brakes
3. manual ccts

and really thats about it. im not going to bother setting up the suspension on the hawk yet to save $$$ :] trackdays are expensive
Old 09-09-2009, 01:21 PM
Honducati
SuperSport

jbaxx is on a distinguished road
Why take the 'Hawk when you have that sweet RC? Save the S/H for the street and ride the hell outta that RC on the track!
Old 09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Superstock

Haha ya I suppose I could but I kinda want to expand my track bike pallette
Old 09-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Superstock

question to the suspension people: towards the end of the day i noticed my rear end "skipping" a little while exiting turns under power. i looked at the wear on my rear tire and you can noticeably see the skipping with all the wear. its like a bunch of shark fins going down the right side of my tire over and over at an even interval. my wild guess is that i dont have enough rebound. thought maybe at first that my tires were about to give up the ghost soon until i saw the wear. im running bt016 and these are the 2nd track day i have on them. any ideas?
Old 09-09-2009, 04:57 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Sounds like you had fun
I just can't get enough track days, but yeah they are expensive !
On a short track the stock brakes are fine, but on a full sized track, they really need to go.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Superstock

yeah man i love em. the tracks around here are pretty large, and the stock brakes feel super dicey on the street to me already. i dont even want to imagine what theyre like on the track hitting 100+ then having to slow down for turn 1. i am a bit spoiled though, as the brakes on my rc51 are fantastic with the stainless lines.

ideally, i'd like to do a k1-k3 gsxr 600 or 750 brake swap, including the MC.

i also have no idea about how to install CCTs though i know theres a white paper here. never read the thing, but i just get the impression that its a rather technical job.

tires are a no brainer. im going with bt016's again. great track tire from what i can tell so far, theyre really sticky on the sides, plus they wear really well in the center so i can still use them for a while on the street if i wear thru them on the track.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
question to the suspension people: towards the end of the day i noticed my rear end "skipping" a little while exiting turns under power. i looked at the wear on my rear tire and you can noticeably see the skipping with all the wear. its like a bunch of shark fins going down the right side of my tire over and over at an even interval. my wild guess is that i dont have enough rebound. thought maybe at first that my tires were about to give up the ghost soon until i saw the wear. im running bt016 and these are the 2nd track day i have on them. any ideas?
Either rebound as you said or a too soft spring/preload...
Old 09-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Superstock

thanks tweety. im going to take some notes of what i want to try next time i go out as far as settings go. i might throw on some 190/55 bt016's just to try them out if in fact these 2 track days on my pig of an rc51 and my 200 lbs **** are wearing the tires really fast. i dont think the springs or preload are the issue. i had the suspension setup by a racetech technician in july at the same track. did the sag/preload thing first thing. we only got to do 1/2 a day to do setup though, cuz he left early. im getting the feeling that we didnt get around to dialing in the damping completely.

could tire pressure be a suspect? i ran 30 cold, which is 1-2psi higher than what most guys are running.

on a complete and utter side note, im taking a scandinavian class right now (of all things) it's filling my writing II requirement. just watched 101 reykjavik. DEFINITELY not a hollywood flick. the teacher is danish, so i hope that gets you a little pissed tweety haha ;D j/k man.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Superstock

oh yeah just looked it up. stock rear spring is a little soft @ 9.8 kg/mm. race tech recommends a 10.5 kg/mm.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
thanks tweety. im going to take some notes of what i want to try next time i go out as far as settings go. i might throw on some 190/55 bt016's just to try them out if in fact these 2 track days on my pig of an rc51 and my 200 lbs **** are wearing the tires really fast. i dont think the springs or preload are the issue. i had the suspension setup by a racetech technician in july at the same track. did the sag/preload thing first thing. we only got to do 1/2 a day to do setup though, cuz he left early. im getting the feeling that we didnt get around to dialing in the damping completely.

could tire pressure be a suspect? i ran 30 cold, which is 1-2psi higher than what most guys are running.

on a complete and utter side note, im taking a scandinavian class right now (of all things) it's filling my writing II requirement. just watched 101 reykjavik. DEFINITELY not a hollywood flick. the teacher is danish, so i hope that gets you a little pissed tweety haha ;D j/k man.
Well, hopefully you are right on the spring/preload... But it's a possibility based on the "skipping"...

Heh... My grandfather is Danish, so why should that bother me... I'm fluent in Danish as long as the other person is reasonably sober... (You tried talking to a drunk Dane anytime? Sounds like they have the mouth full of oatmeal...)
Old 09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
SuperBike

drew_c14 is on a distinguished road
ideally, i'd like to do a k1-k3 gsxr 600 or 750 brake swap, including the MC.
I did a swap from 01 GSXR 1000, they had the 6 piston calipers, makes for a direct bolt on. That plus good pads, and SS lines makes a HUGE difference. You can find the calipers fairly easily on ebay. If you can't find the MC with them you can use others, there was a thread on here somewhere that had it all broken down as to what was a direct bolt on and what wasn't. I think F4 MC fit right up and are plenty big to push the GSXR calipers.

i also have no idea about how to install CCTs though i know theres a white paper here. never read the thing, but i just get the impression that its a rather technical job.
It's really not bad at all if you take you time and do it right. If you take the little bit of extra time and remove both valve covers before taking off the CCT'S you'll save yourself hours of possible frustration. It can be done without removing the valve covers, but it's guess work and you have to just kind of "hope" that you get it right.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Superstock

haha i have a danish friend who "enlightened" me about the danes vs swedes thing. this way, i watch out not to offend a dane or swede by guessing that they are the other haha.

btw, i got some aalborg for my birthday a while back (akvavit) and i have to say that i enjoyed it thoroughly. very different from what is usually consumed here in the states. my friends cant get the hang of it, but then again they puke just thinking about gin and what not haha. they dont drink except to get wasted 200%. oh the joys of being young :]
Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
We recently had the same issue with a fleet of police bikes. St1300's had all been govern'd down to keep them out of the fish tail that starts to happen at about 80+. It turns out that the rear shock is prime responsible for this although other factors may prevail in other circumstances.

Just another example of how government can't run a park let alone government. After they add over a 150 lbs of lights, bars, siren horns and comm equipment the bike handles like a pig. Instead of installing the suspension to handle the added weight they tell the officers to slow down because the department has no funds to make the bikes safe. Especially the big ones - like KD's size but 6'4".

I had the pleasure of hanging with a deputy a while back after the first departments deployed the ST1300's. Austin was half and half Harley and BMW. He was in for service and we got to chatting at the parts/service counter.

He was of compact build - about 5'6 but a little heavier than me. At one point he leaned close and said, "Nothing gets away from me." I'm not going to put in a public forum something that may damage the deputy, the dealer or Honda but those early fitted st's got the job done!