Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

WTB steering damper.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:21 PM
SuperSport

sailorjerry is on a distinguished road
WTB steering damper.

Looking for a steering damper for my hawk, i would like an adjustable such as a shindy or a scotts, please let me know if anyone has one availible. thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:23 AM
SuperSport

bump. Any one with a damper for sale?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:02 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Just wondering, why do you feel like you need one?

Other than racetracks (and high speed ones at that) you should not need one. Most likely tires or headbearings are suspect it you have instability.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:54 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
Just wondering, why do you feel like you need one?

Other than racetracks (and high speed ones at that) you should not need one. Most likely tires or headbearings are suspect it you have instability.

DMR spings, valving and shock, are all getting done next week, my issue is pavement transitions durring turning which we have alot of hear in florida and have yet to find a bike with out a damper that can handle these transitions with out head shake. The hawk is no different.

So i was more so looking just to pick one up incase setting the suspension for me doesnt completely fix this issue.

Tires are new PP2CT's

Now with you mentioning the head bearings, i have been feeling a slight, thump on hard stops, sound like head bearings? That very well could be contributing to my instabililty? Thanks..
Old 07-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
I have a Shindy, installed once, taken off and never used again. Still have original packaging, works perfect. I don't like it(personal opinion). This is the only current pic I have of it laying on the ground. I sent a pm to the other guy looking for one, but without reply so it's still avail. $100 plus shipping.
Attached Thumbnails WTB steering damper.-img_2195.jpg  
Old 07-17-2013, 12:26 PM
SuperSport

Can i ask what you didnt like about it? I have looked at the Shindy dampers but i have no experience with them.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 PM
Back Marker

Letsrideinsc
Oh man, you had to ask, didn't you! I don't like the placement, the arm sticks out at full right lock, but I have frame sliders so they protect my knee from hitting it. I don't like they cast piece that attached damper to bracket, (seems like they found a premade peice of material they decided would work for this application). I don't like the customer service @ shindy as a motorcycle parts sales person I had to deal with Shindy on lots of customer issues, Mr Shindy is Shady, whatever. I have his 5/8" Master Cylinder on my bike too, works great(it's really a Nissen unit, that he sells). That's all, it's mostly the customer service thing that got to me. Unit works fine when installed correcty.

Originally Posted by sailorjerry
Can i ask what you didnt like about it? I have looked at the Shindy dampers but i have no experience with them.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Sailor, whether you dampen or not, your hands & arms should be relaxed on the bars. That is a big reason for headshake. Use tankgrips to take some stress off your arms.

I too thought I needed a damper & put one on the hawk, then did bearings and tires & realized it was not needed.

Good luck either way
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
I have a Storz damper never installed for the VTR. Same price as letsrideinsc, 100+ shipping.