Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

WTB: Black VTR in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Squid

sstrak is on a distinguished road
WTB: Black VTR in SoCal

Looks like I just missed a deal by 2 days

I am looking to buy a 2004/2005 Superhawk in CA. I live in LA.

PM me
Old 01-12-2012, 11:08 AM
Squid

For Clarification: Looking to buy a California plated, clean titled, great condition Super Hawk. Ideally an 04/05 model but I would taken an earlier one in GREAT condition If it had an awesome paint job that was not the result of going down. Am I being a little picky here?
Old 01-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
Yea! shame you missed "Matt Hawks" bike. That was probably this best you could have gotten. I spent almost 3 years looking on and off for another 05 Superhawk.

There are lots and lots of older Superhawks for sale in the Socal area, just that most of them are pretty beat up.

2005 are Titanium, 2004 are Black, 2003 are Blue. As a general rule. Other countries have slighty different color schemes.

I have a friend that may sell me his Tuono Racing Aprilia? if that ever happens I would sell my Superhawk. No need to have two 1000cc V-twin bikes.

Good luck on your hunt. These bikes are really the best do-it-all bike I have ever ridden.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:27 PM
Back Marker

2whltuner is on a distinguished road
So what are you looking for in a "great condition" Superhawk?? Stock or modified?? '98 "stock Superhawks in "great condition" usually go for around $2500 - $2800,

modified (forks revalved w/springs, rear shock, swingarm braced, wheels/wave rotors, pipes, jetted, air filter, manual cct's, stainless lines, streering damper, ect ect ect)

usually go for around the $4000 - $5500, but it seems that "modified" bikes usually don't sell, so the "aftermarket" parts usually get parted out (more $$ for the seller though) and the bike returned to stock then sold.

So again, what are you looking for in your superhawk??

Just food for thought.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Squid

I would prefer stock. I would happily sacrifice a few extra horsepower for pipes that don't cause bystanders to turn their heads every time I rev the engine. As for the general used bike market, I have found aftermarket mods are USUALLY done for the wrong reasons i.e. "I just tossed my bike down the road. My exhaust can is shredded. This used Yosh pipe is WAY cheaper than OEM pipes." or "My stock exhaust looks so boring but this aftermarket one looks way cooler. Jet kit? What's a carburetor?"

I have ridden a motorcycle every day for the last 12 years. I have, on average, owned 2 or 3 at a time (old bikes are cheap, addictive, and fun)
I have had everything from a 1980 Hondamatic 400 to a 1969 Triumph TR6 to a 2001 GSX-R 750. I have had 11 motorcycles so far.

That equals dealing with a lot of people's ghetto fixes. Messed up wiring harnesses, terribly installed aftermarket crap, missing pieces, and about 1000 shredded fasteners. How may times have I had to drill out bolts, tap engine cases because the idiot before me over-torqued the bolt going to a case cover and shoved it back in with a bunch of red Loctite, the clips holding the little glass fuses broke off so someone used chewing gum and the foil from the wrapper to hold it in place, etc. etc. I never want to see a helicoil again.

I don't mind dealing with this crap but, for once, I want a pretty bike. One that someone loved. One that was ridden gently and fixed properly. I am tired of rebuilding carbs. I am tired of rusty tanks. Seats pans that don't fit quite right. I want a bike that someone smiled at lovingly each time he/she walked by, maybe even gave it an adoring pat on the tank. One that had the proper break-in service. A bike that had the oil changed on time, every time, and replaced the oil drain bolt washer and (be still me beating heart!) used a torque wrench to put the bolt back in. Is 21 foot-lbs really too much to ask? Really?

I love motorcycles. I have a Jeep too. I need to use it for work all the time. But I still get a ride in. "What honey? It's too cold for you to ride on the back tonight? No problem, beautiful. You take your warm car to dinner and I'll meet you there. I promise to make conversation all night and smile at you and hold your hand when we walk the dog together before bed. It's just that I haven't ridden all day and..."

I gave up a high paying job so I could do something that makes a difference in the world. Sadly, money and creating good in society don't always go hand in hand. I don't have 10 grand to drop on a new bike. Even if I did, a Superhawk is pretty much the ideal bike for me right now. Big sporting twin with full(ish) fairings and racy but not backbreaking ergos. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

Am I going to get the perfect bike? Probably not. The guy/girl I'm buying the bike from might be a kindred spirit; the prior owner? Unlikely.

Do I need aftermarket upgrades? 100+ rear wheel horse power will be sufficient, thank you. Will I take an upgraded bike? Sure. If it was done right. Does that add to the bike's value? As far I'm concerned, meh.

But who knows... I might get lucky

TL;DR: I want a bike that's not messed up
Old 01-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Squid

Wow, that was longer than I intended. I guess I've needed to get that out for a while...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Back Marker

2whltuner is on a distinguished road
Well I certainly hope you feel better, and you logic is understandable

"One that someone loved. One that was ridden gently and fixed properly. I am tired of rebuilding carbs. I am tired of rusty tanks. Seats pans that don't fit quite right. I want a bike that someone smiled at lovingly each time he/she walked by, maybe even gave it an adoring pat on the tank. One that had the proper break-in service. A bike that had the oil changed on time, every time, and replaced the oil drain bolt washer and (be still me beating heart!) used a torque wrench to put the bolt back in."

Maybe we should talk.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Superstock

Damn! Scary man?

No really, I understand where you are coming from. Buying a used motorcycle can be a very interesting business for sure. I pretty much agree with everything you say.

So you are looking for the perfect owner and the perfect motorcycle. Well I happen to think my motorcycle is pefect, and my wife is always telling me, that I think I'm perfect!

BINGO!!! we have a winner. Ok you can have my bike for $5000.00.
Aprilia Tuono Racing here I come?

On a serious note, good luck with the hunt. Just remember never dropped or crashed don't me ****!.. Errr that must have been the previous owner? Wow I never saw those huge scratches in the frame. Etc, Etc.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Back Marker

jeephawk is on a distinguished road
Looks like a decent one here. Farnorcal...still in Cali.... I know its not close to you but kinda close to me.

2005 HONDA SUPERHAWK 996
Old 01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
I'm not 100% sure if these meet your criteria as I didn't read everything, but here you go

http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/2740976893.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...794754122.html
http://fresno.craigslist.org/mcy/2732393990.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/2767317353.html

Not all are black or socal, but still within the area.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by jeephawk
Looks like a decent one here. Farnorcal...still in Cali.... I know its not close to you but kinda close to me.

2005 HONDA SUPERHAWK 996
Damn, that 2005 looks like a great deal.

All the other one's Hmmmm, not so good.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
Good onya mate
These bikes might not be the fastest or prettiest going around
But everytime I switch mine on she puts a smile on my dial
Goodluck on your search
Old 01-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Squid

Checked out all those bikes. Talked to most of the owners. None 04/05. All seem to have been crashed or have some major issue. I test rode the blue one in LA. Crashed.

The '05 in Norcal does SOUND good but he's asking a lot for it and there's no way to go take a look at it. Redding is a 12 hour drive from LA on a good day.

Anyone live in Norcal and want to check out a nice superhawk for me and give me the lowdown

Thanks for looking guys. Keep your eye out and let me know. I am staying cat like in my search.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Squid

Ok, the Norcal deal:

Advice time.

There is a guy in Redding who has an '05. 4000 miles. 2nd owner. He wants $4200. Bone stock except for steel lines and Heli bars. Redding is a long way from LA. It's winter. It's snowing up there.

How much work is it to do the R/R and CCT. Is this basic mechanical stuff or am I better off having a mechanic do it for me? Is the de-limiting process a big deal? Am I better off waiting for a closer/cheaper one with the basic mods (to prevent catastrophic failure) already done? Or is this a deal?

I know that I'm asking a lot of advice from strangers but you folks seem awesome and I'm looking forward to joining Y'all.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Squid

ttsoca is on a distinguished road
If I was a mechanic i would go look at it, but I don't want you to come up here to find something I missed )-:
Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sstrak
Ok, the Norcal deal:

Advice time.

There is a guy in Redding who has an '05. 4000 miles. 2nd owner. He wants $4200. Bone stock except for steel lines and Heli bars. Redding is a long way from LA. It's winter. It's snowing up there.

How much work is it to do the R/R and CCT. Is this basic mechanical stuff or am I better off having a mechanic do it for me? Is the de-limiting process a big deal? Am I better off waiting for a closer/cheaper one with the basic mods (to prevent catastrophic failure) already done? Or is this a deal?

I know that I'm asking a lot of advice from strangers but you folks seem awesome and I'm looking forward to joining Y'all.
I can't comment on the CCT's since I have never done that work myself but a lot of the riders on here have done them themselves and seems like you could knock out a CCT change in one afternoon. I live up the 101 from you in Camarillo and my neighbor is a motorcycle mechanic who has a soft spot for SH's and is quite familiar with the bikes. If you decide you want someone to do the CCT's let me know and I will get you a quote.

Regarding the R&R. I did the R1 swap in my apt parking lot back in GA in about 1 hour. Very simple! I am a mechanical retard and if I can do it, you can do it. There is a great write up on this site with wiring diagrams and all. Just follow it and you should be fine.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:22 AM
erno
Back Marker

erno is on a distinguished road
I could be wrong but the problem with the RR's
Were with the pre 2000 model,2001 upwards were updated
I have a 2001 with 57k on it with the original RR

I know its not Black ,and how far is reno away
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998-...item3a6f42ab55

Last edited by erno; 01-20-2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Squid

wolfgun is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=sstrak;323228]Checked out all those bikes. Talked to most of the owners. None 04/05. All seem to have been crashed or have some major issue. I test rode the blue one in LA. Crashed.

Did you crash some guy's bike on the test ride or did you test ride a previously crashed bike?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Squid

Test rode an Aprilia Falco for the hell of it.

Superhawk is a MUCH better bike. Still on the hunt for that '04
Old 02-16-2012, 02:06 AM
Squid

I have an '05 Superhawk! Thanks speed Kelly!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:27 PM
New Hawk Rider
Superstock

eersfanpilot is on a distinguished road
Great bike!
Old 02-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Wonderful! Now we need pics, lol.