Classifieds Items for sale, trade or wanted.

Selling my 99 'Storm

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 05:26 PM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Selling my 99 'Storm

Hi Folks,

It is with deep regret that I am selling my 1999 VTR1000 FireStorm.

I have owned the Honda since new, and have been on this list since it was on RUNLEVELZERO…..a looong time ago. The bike was always well treated. I used it for my commute (60km each way) primarily, back road scratching and a few weekend tours. Maintenance issues? None, really. Rear wheel bearings were replaced twice. Tires & chains. I had one low speed tipover (fecking soft gravel!!) in 2004. Anything that was bent or broken was replaced. The only remaining damage is some scrapes on the clutch cover. The bike was repainted at the time.

I retired at the end of the 2007 riding season and decided I wanted something a little more touring oriented to suit my new leasure filled lifestyle. The VTR was perfect for my commute, but any touring required copious amounts of IBProfin. So I parked the Honda and bought a Moto Guzzi EV Touring for my riding pleasure. I really like the Guzzi.

Now the Honda is for sale. It is in the shop getting new skins (Bridgestone BT30) and a new battery. All fluids (hydraulic, coolant, oil) and filters are being replaced. The gas tank is being flushed, the petcock cleaned and , if necessary, the carbs will be cleaned.

I am offering the bike here first, as described, BUT over the next week or so, as I prepare it for local sale, some of the choiser bits will be coming off to be offered for sale separately - specifically the Ohlins, HeliBars, and Sargent.

Pics are available – PM me and I’ll send them along.

Cheers!

G

1999 Black VTR1000F for sale.

Rides, runs & looks excellent
Original owner – Adult rider
996cc V-twin
130,000–ish KM
Racetech .8kg fork springs
Ohlins shock
Heli-Bars
SECDEM HP Windscreen
Custom made braided SS clutch & front brake lines. Grand Touring USA hand grips
Grip heaters
LP tank bra
Sargent World Sport Saddle
Exhaust headers have been ceramic coated (looks like brushed aluminum)
V&H S4 slipons
APE Manual Cam Chain tensioners (installed at around 20,000km)
NWS Black plastic hugger
Taillocker (provides enough underseat storage for a full rainsuit)
Ventura Sportrack & Grabrail

- The carbs have been jetted (Factory Stage 1) and currently have the stock idle jet, mains are 180 fr and 182 rr, needle is Factory with the clip in the middle slot, mixture screws set at 2.75 turns out. I am running the stock air filter.
- New HH sintered brake shoes were installed front & back spring 2007.
- Valves were checked in the spring 2007. They were still within factory spec. They have never been shimmed.
- PAIR system has been removed and discarded. I am still running the original regulator/rectifier.
- I ran Valvoline dino oils exclusively....10W40 in spring & fall and 20W50 in the hot months. Oil was replaced every 3000km. Oil filter replaced every 3rd or 4th oil change.
- I have the OEM windscreen, clip-ons, shock & springs and seat. I have two sets of stock mufflers, one unmolested and one with the baffles removed. And I have a full set of V&H mid pipes and two extra V&H S4 slipons, one good, one with cosmetic damage. I have a factory shop manual. I have new OEM sprockets ready to go in the next time the chain is replaced. The current chain, a DID X-ring 530, has approximately 30,000km on it. Lubed every 500km, still in the green zone on the adjuster.
- Anything VTR related that I have will go with the bike –e.g. Front & rear stands, home-made (crude but effective) pannier support racks and two sets of saddlebags (large & small).

$3000CDN.

Bike is located in Almonte, Ontario, Canada

Call Geoff Helmes @ 613-256-4285
Old 04-28-2014, 09:46 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
You are going to regret selling the VTR...think it through.

Weekends when you have the need for speed will come in retirement...

"If I knew then what I know now when I was younger..."
Jeff Beck / Rod Stewart ("Truth" album)
Old 04-29-2014, 02:47 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Originally Posted by skokievtr
You are going to regret selling the VTR...think it through.

Weekends when you have the need for speed will come in retirement...

"If I knew then what I know now when I was younger..."
Jeff Beck / Rod Stewart ("Truth" album)
I know. But I live in Ontario, where the insurance gods rule.

Minimum coverage for the VTR comes in around $800 per year. Same for the Guzzi. I can only afford to insure one.

The Need for Speed? This is Ontario. We have Stunt Driving laws. If you are tagged at more than 50kph over the limit you lose your license, the vehicle gets impounded, and good freaking luck finding another insurer that wont take your first born male child as a down payment. Besides, I'm 60 years old now. I'll never be as fast as I was.

Cheers!

G
Old 04-29-2014, 05:50 AM
Back Marker

scooter72 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by vtrgeoff
I know. But I live in Ontario, where the insurance gods rule.

Minimum coverage for the VTR comes in around $800 per year. Same for the Guzzi. I can only afford to insure one.
I hear ya....the Ontario insurance gods are a lot nicer to you than the Emperors of insurance in Manitoba though.....I just got my renewal for this year and they decided to raise premiums for bikes again...so i'm looking at $1450 for coverage this year!!! That's a great deal for your bike buddy, and if I lived closer i'd consider buying it for sure. Good luck with the sale!
Old 04-29-2014, 07:07 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I remember you from the runlevelzero days.
Best of luck with the sale. It might be difficult finding a good home for your VTR. There aren't a lot of people who appreciate what it is.
As a fellow retiree and resident of Ontario, I agree entirely with your comments about the exorbitant cost of insurance and the "stunt driving" legislation. Few days go by when at some point during a ride I'm not subject to having my VTR seized. It's never entirely out of my mind. Aside from that, there aren't many good roads in the part of Ontario in which I live. There's much better stuff south of the border. I hope to do some more exploring in SE Ohio, E Kentucky and northern West Virginia this year.
My VTR has about 122,000 km. on it now. It's in good shape and it's still a huge amount of fun but it's not worth much to anyone other than me. There's nothing else on the market now that I'm really drawn to.
Like you, I'm not as fast as I once was but as long as I'm quick and smooth through the occasional corner I'll stay in the game.
Keep enjoying your Guzzi and I hope you keep checking in once the VTR is gone.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 AM
Back Marker

vtrgeoff
Originally Posted by scooter72
I hear ya....the Ontario insurance gods are a lot nicer to you than the Emperors of insurance in Manitoba though.....I just got my renewal for this year and they decided to raise premiums for bikes again...so i'm looking at $1450 for coverage this year!!! That's a great deal for your bike buddy, and if I lived closer i'd consider buying it for sure. Good luck with the sale!
Thanx. If i were to add comprehensive (i.e. Fire & Theft) and collision my rates would be in the $2k per year range. I live in a small town, I've been riding bikes for 47 years, no accidents (ooops - collisions), no claims, no moving violations in the last 15+ years. Squeaky clean. I drive a schoolbus for a living - I have had more defensive driving training in the last two years than most drivers get in a lifetime.

None of this seems to matter. My rates keep going up.

YMMV

Cheers!

G