Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

Superhawk won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 07:32 PM
Squid

Tonytm is on a distinguished road
Superhawk won't stay running

Hello everyone. I'm new to this form. So I recently bought a 1998 Honda superhawk. I was driving one day and came home and the bike started like missing really bad. And every time I give it gas it would stutter and stall. After a few times of trying to get it to restart it wouldn't start and just kill the battery. I've already taken apart the cards when I got the bike and clean the Jets. And I replaced the fuel filter and 1 fuel hose or line. If anybody has any information or has experienced the same problem I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me. Thank you!
Old 02-12-2017, 07:41 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Did this problem occur after you did all that stuff to the carbs? The bike doesn't have a fuel filter stock so did you add one?

Did you let the gas tank get very low at any point?

The last time I fixed a similar issue it was after a guy washed his bike and got water in the gas tank. It can also happen with a bad tank of gas or dirt in the tank.

Figure out if you actually have a fuel filter installed. Also recharge the batter fully as a low battery will cause a slew of problems that wont even make sense.

If you recently worked on the bike you may have connected the vacuum line wrong and ran out of fuel in the lines.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:57 AM
Squid

Well when I got the bike. The bike would only run on Full choke. I had a friend who knows how to work on bike help me take apart the carbs. The Jets were clogged up. After we fixed that the bike ran like a dream. I have let the gas light come on twice since I've owned the bike. But I immediately got gas in it. I only put 93 fuel in. After a little bit I discovered a fuel leak from the pet ****. I rebuilt that and replaced a fuel line cause I thought the line was the problem.
but after all that it hasn't giving me any problems until now.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:46 AM
MotoGP

So yeah, when you clean carbs, its a really good idea to install fuel filters in the fuel lines. You saw how small those carb holes are, so on an old bike its likely a tiny piece of crud gets sucked in clogs one.

Then you are back to square one and a whole other cleaning. Filters prevent this. I posted a thread on here about the install.

For now I would recommend draining your tank dry and refilling it.

Also, how many miles did you ride from service to problem? You could have installed the vacuum wrong as the petcock has an extra port/nipple that many guys put the vacuum line on.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:59 AM
Squid

[]it's only been maybe a month or so when I did all the maintenance. You know I try to run the bike as often as I can. But I think the one hose I replaced is pinched from the 90° angle it has to bend at
Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 PM
VTR virgin
Superstock

Cadbury64 is on a distinguished road
Do you definitely have fuel reaching the carbs when you try to start the bike? You can drain the float bowls to get an idea of whether they are full or not.

Have to say this sounds like the vacuum petcock is not working properly; the vacuum line might have split or fallen off, or the diaphragm has torn or is stuck. I'd be testing this (apply vacuum to the port, see if fuel flows freely out of the delivery line) before doing much else to the carbs.

Another possibility is a blocked tank vent, you could try starting the bike with the filler cap cracked open.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:38 PM
Squid

Okay so I just tried to start the bike. It didn't even want to try to start. I'm guessing it's going to be a fuel issue
Old 02-13-2017, 07:51 PM
MotoGP

To find out first keep the battery charged, then try to start it as your girlfriend sprays starting fluid in the air intake. If it starts, then its fuel.