Members Rides Show off your SuperHawk!

CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk

I have been riding on and off for 23 years and ever since the Super Hawk came out, I have always wanted one. I have been without a bike for the past 5 years and really got the itch to get another one for 2011. I started hitting eBay and Craigslist. About a month into my search, I find a young guy selling a '98 Super Hawk for parts. The Craigslist ad had just been put up, so I was the first person to call him. Turns out he let his buddy ride the bike and he dumped it. Took out the right side radiator, right side mirror, busted the right side crankcase cover, and cracked the fairing. So the guy decided to strip it completely down and part it out. I asked him if I could buy it as is. To my surprise, he said yes. I got the bike for next to nothing! I thought he wouldn't go for it, because he would have made quite a bit more money parting it out. The very next day I drove an hour to pick it up. Besides being in parts, the bike had only 20k miles on it and a clean title.

First things first, I really went through the engine. It looks great, inside and out. So, I made my own manual CCT's. I just today installed a pair of '08-'09 CBR1000 stick coils, which was super easy. I also De-PAIR'd it today.

Whats left:

-I still need to get new bearings/seals for the steering neck
-Install the new/used crankcase cover (thanks again Pimpsterbim1)
-Install the stainless bolt/screw kit sourced from an eBay store
-Find a right side radiator
-Fix the cracked fairing
-Mirrors with integrated L.E.D. turn signals
-L.E.D. taillight with integrated turn signals
-New tires
-New paint job

Here's what it looks like now:

The previous owner hacked up a decent muffler and made a right side exit, single exhaust with Advance Auto exhaust piping. This will not be used.

I got a free swingarm for a Triumph Daytona from a friend of mine that did a single sided swingarm. You can see the wheel behind the Super Hawks rear wheel. I'm going to try and see if I can use the shock and (I forget the name of this silver piece) the short fender. The shock looks like it may work, but the length might be an issue. The silver fender looks like it will work after drilling and tapping a few holes in the swingarm (its just laying on the Super Hawks swing arm).

I will add more to this thread as progress is made.

Thanks for lookin',
Mat

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 03-13-2014 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Eddddiiitttiiinnggg
Old 02-19-2011, 04:05 AM
Superstock

hondavtr1000sp2 is on a distinguished road

Looking forward to see how it turns out.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 AM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
With a project like this, a long Wisconsin winter is a blessing in disguise. Best of luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Squid

georgedombeck is on a distinguished road
I am very interested in this, I have a Daytona swingarm and wheel too!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I'm going to see what I can do with the Daytona swingarm stuff tomorrow. Either adapt the whole swingarm and shock assembly to the Super Hawk, or see if I can pull apart both SHOWA shocks and make the Daytona shock with the reservoir work in the Super Hawk. The Daytona shock appears to be a better product between the two, what with the external reservoir, and the threaded body.

Oh! Check this out...I was going through a box that came with the bike, and found I have an unopened bag with a Powerbronze (weird name) Undertail! I also found a unopened bag with a Powerbronze Tail Guard...whatever that is. I also found two small amber L.E.D. lights, most likely for turn signals, which I'm not going to use.

I also have a L.E.D taillight with integrated turn signals coming from a member on here. So, all I need is my mirrors with integrated turn signals and that should do it for parts...I think.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Superstock

skoshere is on a distinguished road
welcome to the forum... I am right down the road from you in Muskego... hit me up if you need any help...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Well, I pretty much gave up on the Daytona stuff I have. I'm going to save the swingarm, shock, and wheel for a later project. I have always wanted to make a chopper with a V-twin from a Super Hawk. I have several of the parts already for it. I might just start that project after this Super Hawk gets put together and my '73 Datsun 240Z with a Buick Grand National engine is running (99% with that project. Almost done!).

I am coming along with the Super Hawk. I need to order several gaskets, o-rings, bearings, ect. to get me to the point where I can assemble this bitch. The only thing I am hung up on is the radiators. I realize that I can order new ones on eBay for $190, but after reading the fine print, its a $25 core charge AND a $50 shipping charge. Not worth it. I'm going to see if their is someone local that can build me a couple of radiators for a decent price. I wish I had a TIG welder. Then I could build my own. I might just buy one this summer, but I don't know, we'll see. I was also looking into just using a small single radiator, or even an under seat radiator. However, I think sticking to stock parts will get me on the road faster. K.I.S.S. rule.

I got my stainless steel nut/bolt kit today, so that's going on soon. Dresses it up a bit and you don't get the nice clean bike, with the rust drooling out of each fastener. I'll take some more pictures when the bike starts getting assembled.

Hey skoshere, thanks for the offer man. I'll keep that in mind. Also, if ya have any parts that you want to sell, stock or aftermarket, drop me a PM. Since I'm just starting to put my bike together, I'd be interested in pretty much anything right now.
It seems like we have several people on this board from S.E. WI. It would be cool to get a ride going sometime. Hit up Holy Hill or ...?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:35 AM
Back Marker

timdske is on a distinguished road
It'll be a fun project. Enjoy it.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:10 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Scored on Craigslist tonight! Ah, let me reword that...I found a great deal on some mufflers that I can adapt for my Super Hawk.
I got the mufflers for $10 each. I just couldn't say no to that. They look almost brand new. The guy told me that they have about 3,500 miles on 'em, and it definitely looks like it. They are from a TL1000S. Since my exhaust was seriously hacked up by the previous owner, I needed to get some kind of exhaust on the bike. I was thinking of just running open pipes for the summer, but I knew that would get old after a while.
It appears I can open these cans up with a few screws/bolts and mess with the baffles, which is pretty cool. Attaching these to the rest of the exhaust looks to be very easy. Also, if this works out correctly like I think it may, in the future I can just buy some new cans for a TL1000S for a different/better sound than the stockers.

Check out what the previous owner left me with. He even cut up and tried to put back together a Two Brothers muffler. Cough-HACK-cough

Here's the Suzuki TL1000S mufflers I picked up. They look better in person.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I just got off the phone with All Kool in Butler, WI talking about getting a couple radiators made and they want $191 for each core and about $400 to fab up each radiator. Talk about sticker shock! So, my quest continues for a set of decent radiators. Those eBay radiators don't seem like such a horrible option now.

I have decided what to do with the mufflers. I'm in the process of completely gutting them, then running a perforated pipe through the inside of the muffler and installing a 4" baffle somewhere inside the muffler for a little back pressure. I want it LOUD, but have it look stock and unassuming. Tuning the carbs will be a bitch, but it will be worth it once it is done.

Everything, except the engine, has had its time in the parts washer and a soap bath afterwords. As soon as I get the engine buttoned up, I can wash that hunk of metal. It's been bothering me how freakin' dirty and caked full of road crap it is. I can't wait to see how well it cleans up.

Getting closer to assembly guys!

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 03-01-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: added information
Old 03-01-2011, 12:52 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Contact inderocker on here to see if he has any parts to sell you.

His business is parting out bikes, and he is a moderator on this forum.
Old 03-01-2011, 06:47 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Thanks lazn (I typed lazer at first lol). I dropped him a PM. Can't wait to hear what he says.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I got my LED clear taillight with integrated turn signals and the eBay mirrors with integrated turn signals this past Friday. The taillight is brand new and perfect (thanks sawunner74!). The eBay mirrors need a little cleaning up with some acetone to get some adhesive off the mirror, but other than that, they work and are pretty decent for how cheap they are.

I decided on the paint for the Super Hawk. Going with a light gray and black wheels and accents. Should look pretty nice when its finished.

Things are coming together!

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 04-30-2011 at 09:41 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 04-30-2011, 10:46 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I had my neighbor help me move the engine from the basement to my garage today. I definitely wasn't moving it myself again. My back hurts just thinking about that.

Here's most of the small parts that need to be assembled. Got a pair of radiators off a '05, and they seriously look brand new. Also got some All ***** steering neck bearings, which you can see in the lower right hand corner of the picture.

My frame and trailing arm with the hugger from a Triumph Daytona. I am deciding if I should paint the frame and trailing arm now, or just assemble everything and get out and RIDE! Which I'm really getting the itch to do. When the riding season is over, I can disassemble it and paint it. I can take my time over the winter. Not sure as of yet. Have to figure this out in the next day or two. Assemble and ride a crappy looking, but fully functional super fun Super Hawk? Or, take my time and paint everything now. Painting will take at least another 2-3 weeks. I have a lot of prep work, body work and modifications. If I'm going to paint it now, I'm doing it right.

Check this **** out. The P.O. busted off a bolt that holds the crankcase cover on. I tried getting the damn thing out. I used heat, lots of heat, all kinds of penetrating liquids to no avail. So, I busted out the last resort, an EZ Out. Drilled the bolt out, installed the EZ Out, started to apply a little bit of force and...*crack!*....DAMNIT! Broke. Yup, it broke off inside the bolt. I absolutely hate EZ Outs. So far, I have had 50/50 chance with EZ Outs. I'll figure something out. What a pisser.

Here's my clear LED taillight with integrated turn signals and my eBay mirrors with integrated LED turn signals. These will be the last items to install before the bike is road worthy.

Here are the electronics that came with the bike when I purchased it. I'm not sure if this R/R is a stock unit or a aftermarket. Not sure if I should go ahead and order a different R/R, just to be on the safe side. After the whole bike was disassembled, I'm hoping that I won't have any major problems getting it to run. What do you guys think?

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 05-01-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
That R/R is a later year OEM one- it's non MOSFET so I'd say replace it.

I like the matt colored exhaust- should make the stock frame and everything look sick!
Old 05-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
You guys and your R/R paranoia....GEEZ!

Crux, the finned one is infinitely better than the original non-finned one. In 50k miles I've had one R/R go out and I saw it coming (didn't happen all of a sudden). Clean the connections and you'll be fine.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:40 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
You guys and your R/R paranoia....GEEZ!

Crux, the finned one is infinitely better than the original non-finned one. In 50k miles I've had one R/R go out and I saw it coming (didn't happen all of a sudden). Clean the connections and you'll be fine.
When I first try turning the key, and it doesn't start, doesn't continue to run, or has some other electrical problem, I want to be able to say that it's not because of the R/R. Just trying to cover my bases. But if you're saying this one should be okay, then that's great.

Now that I think about it, the P.O. briefly mentioned to me something about the R/R pictured above. Totally forgot about that. He might have said that it was aftermarket, or a newer one...or something to that effect. I guess I should have been listening to that part.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:49 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Got a few things done in the past couple of days. I got that bolt AND the EZ-Out drilled out and the hole filled. I then re drilled and tapped the hole. Works perfectly.

Here's something weird, I found that many people don't know what a Super Hawk is, or have even ever heard a sport bike V-twin, which I thought was quite odd. So, I decided to remove all traces of the Super Hawk being, well a Super Hawk, or a Honda for that matter. Below you will see what I mean for starters.

I removed the raised HONDA from the clutch cover with a Dremel (I know, crappy picture, sorry).

All traces of HONDA are gone!

Hit the cover with some self-etching primer.

Then applied body filler and sanded it down. Then applied several coats of primer. After the primer was dry, sanded that down until the surface was as smooth as a babies butt.

All primed and ready for paint. If you're wondering, a nickel fits the viewing window perfectly, if you are going to tape your cover off for paint.

Sprayed the black color that will be on the three recesses. This will then be taped off and the rest will be a silver/grey color. On the side, you can see the water pump with a new seal and the small bag with new bearing and seal inside. Once the cover has been completely painted, the pump gets pressed in, along with the new bearing and new seals.

The alternator cover has had a similar treatment. The HONDA was filled, primed and painted. The next step is to assemble! I'm working on the bike today, so I will have more to post either tonight or tomorrow morning.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Finally painted the clutch cover and the alternator cover. The clutch cover has some tape residue on it making the silver look choppy next to the black. That will be taken care of once the paint has been dry for a couple days.

Next up is the frame and metal work under the seat. These will be painted the same silver color. After those items are painted, the wheels are next. Once the wheels are painted, I can throw some tires on and get this bike together and on two wheels! Getting excited!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:15 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I figured I would show the VTR that caught my eye and gave me inspiration for the paint. The colors used on this VTR just called to me. Its on the VTR1000.org web site. Simply stunning choice of colors and a awesome bike (the exaust isn't my taste though). Speaking of the exhaust, I have been drawing up idea's for a undertail exhaust system. Two pipes into one can that is formed to the shape of the tail. Not your typical round/oval muffler. This is something that I really want to do. It would be pretty neat looking and be pretty loud, which I want. The exhaust is up on my dry erase white board (to do list in the garage). Maybe it will wait untill winter, but it's getting done. If I get bored or something, then it will happen sooner. We'll see.

Back to the bike. I will paint my fairings the same color (as close to it as I can get). Unless I am at the automotive paint supply place and come up with another really cool color along the same lines as the color shown on the bike.

I like how clean it is. No markings at all. No HONDA, no Super Hawk, no nothing. I will do the same. Simple and clean.

I don't like that belly pan though. Just doesn't fit the bike in my opinion. If I was to do something like that, I would put a full fairing kit on it. Not just a little thing on the bottom of the bike.

At some point, I would LOVE to do a SSSA. I haven't priced out what it would cost to do this yet (anybody have a rough estimate?). But, it would look really sharp. This modification would be strictly for looks. I don't know the weight disadvantages of switching to a single sided swing arm. I'm assuming it would be heavier than the stock swing arm. I'll have to look into this some more.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 06-02-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:24 AM
Squid

RRSTED is on a distinguished road
Love what you done with the bike.
I have a few questions if you dont mind.
What are the front forks and wheel from?
The rear is from a r51, sp1/2?
Old 06-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Originally Posted by RRSTED
Love what you done with the bike.
I have a few questions if you dont mind.
What are the front forks and wheel from?
The rear is from a r51, sp1/2?
I will assume that you just didn't read my last post. The picture in the post above your is of a bike that I saw some time ago. It's not my bike. That bike gave me the inspiration for the colors on my bike. I do not know what forks and front wheel are on that bike, but the rear swing arm is a SSSA ( Single Sided Swing Arm) from a Honda VFR (not sure what year, but you can search this website for the correct information).
Old 07-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Okay guys, I just said screw it and I'm building the bike the way it sits. I know that it would make more sense to paint each part now, because, well, it's apart. But the year is more than half over and I just want to ride the freakin' thing! I only have a few more months of riding time. I can take 'er apart this winter and do what I want to it then. So, starting tonight, she's getting assembled. Yeah, she'll be ugly, but I can sure ride it

Expect pictures of it on its new tires by July 10th
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM
Back Marker

superhen is on a distinguished road
How's your build coming along? Good decision to get some riding time in, you have all winter to tear it back down and get it how you want it. Did you get the crankcase bolt out?
Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 AM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
Crux I have to say you did a swell job but I have to ask is that a 240z I see in your garage?

whats the story with that?

I love vintage jap cars by the way
Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I know its been a while, but I finally got the Super Hawk together tonight and fired it up! Man, is this beast loud with straight pipes. Since I am on a iPad, I can't post pictures. However, I will be able to post pictures to my album tomorrow, so I can update this again with neat pics.
I have done a lot of stuff since I have posted last. I'll be back tomorrow with pictures!
Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Looking forward to it!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

I figured out how to post pictures with my iPad! lets see if this works. This is how the bike looks as of two days ago.
Name:  75be13ee126f115b5b2b8a57f4ab45bb.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  170.5 KB

Finally, time for an update with pictures!
As you can see, I got some yellow fairings, because the red set I had were just to far gone. On these yellow ones, only the right side needed some plastic repair with my trusty plastic welder. As long as I was fixing the plastic, I filled in the turn signal holes, since the new mirrors had integrated LED turn signals.
I need to buy some Isopon to fill the small scratches, then prime and paint when it gets a little warmer here.

The exhaust from the TL1000 was scrapped when I found a set of almost unused stock Superhawk cans for $20 off Craigslist. I'm debating on painting the cans flat black or not and wrapping the pipes in black exhaust wrap.
I also did a full baflectomy. Sounds great! But I want it louder, but not as loud as it was when it had NO mufflers.

The silver hugger is from a Triumph Daytona. It was free, so after a couple mods, it fits great!

The undertail took some time to make it fit correctly. Several passes with a cutting tool on the Dremel, and using a heat gun made it fit rather well. I'll take a couple pictures of how it was mounted.

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 04-23-2013 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

Here's how I mounted the undertail. I made a couple aluminum brackets and bent them 90 degrees. Then drilled a hole to mount it under the passenger peg bracket. To help from scratching up the undertail, I drilled some holes in the aluminum brackets and installed rubber bumpers to hold up the undertail.

Name:  20130423_130601.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  73.8 KB

Here's a shot from the back. I'm working on an electrical gremlin, so the yellow plastic is off.

Name:  20130423_130625.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  100.8 KB

Here, you can see how the Triumph Daytona hugger was mounted up. After looking at the ones made for the Superhawk with the chain gaurd as part of the hugger, I kinda like the Triumph hugger better.

Name:  20130423_130544.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  106.2 KB

I opened up the chain guard a bit and also the cover over the front chain sprocket. I wanted a more mechanical feel to the bike when looking at it. Had to be carefull not to remove to much, otherwise a loose shoelace or strands from my jeans might get caught up in there. After taking it for a couple rides, I found that to be a non-issue.

Name:  20130423_130505.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  199.1 KB
Old 04-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

The previous owner hacked up the front fairing mount to make it a street fighter, so I had fab up some metal to hold up the mirrors and the windshield. Took the picture before drilling holes and paint.
I totally forgot to add wieghts before I welded it all together. I was going to melt down some lead and pour it inside, but I got sidetracked and forgot. I'm wondering what kind of vibrations I'm going to get now, and is it worth it to pull it back off, drill a couple holes and put the weight inside?

Name:  20130420_170848.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  125.0 KB

Last edited by CruxGNZ; 04-23-2013 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: CruxGNZ's '98 Superhawk