SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Yamaha Carb Cleaner Trick - Questions (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/yamaha-carb-cleaner-trick-questions-23432/)

mchawkmaster 08-09-2010 01:02 PM

Yamaha Carb Cleaner Trick - Questions

A couple quick questions as I will be performing this "trick" soon:

1. Can you put too much of the cleaner in the carbs and it go into the engine and eat something important?

2. If some stays up in the gas lines will it melt them?

3. If 1 and 2 can happen, how do you know when you have put enough in there?

4. When adding the cleaner to the bike should it be on a rear stand or kickstand (my only two options) or does it matter?

May be beatin a dead horse but I really don't wanna screw my bike up

motojoe 08-09-2010 04:45 PM

If you drain the float bowls all the way and use the gas line to put the cleaner in you should have no problem. In theory, the float needle will cut off the flow when the bowl is full of the cleaner. No, the cleaner is not supposed to damage rubber or o-rings, so your fuel line should be safe. Use the stand. Take it off the stand when shaking(as others have suggested).

mchawkmaster 08-09-2010 08:23 PM

Thanks for the input motojoe.

I see you are from charlotte NC. I grew up in liberty NC about a straight shot up highway 49 north for about an hour

VTRsurfer 08-09-2010 08:26 PM

It's a lot more fun to pull the carbs to clean them.:rolleyes:

autoteach 08-09-2010 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer (Post 277277)
It's a lot more fun to pull the carbs to clean them.:rolleyes:

Despite what other forum members have said, you cannot get AIDS from pulling carbs and cleaning them properly.

VTRsurfer 08-09-2010 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by autoteach (Post 277283)
Despite what other forum members have said, you cannot get AIDS from pulling carbs and cleaning them properly.

No, I just get a sore back...but then I'm an old fart.

It sure does run great after the job is done though.

motojoe 08-10-2010 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by mchawkmaster (Post 277276)
I grew up in liberty NC about a straight shot up highway 49 north for about an hour

Been throught there a time or two, or twenty.

Tweety 08-10-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 277308)
Took the VTR for a ride a few days ago after it was sitting for awhile. Had the idle to 3500 rpm hiccups.

Decided to try a new "trick".

Got a couple of 3 ft pieces of clear plastic tube. Snugged them up on the drain spout of each float bowl. Kind of a pita but using some long surgical foreceps got them on in a few minutes.

I hung the other ends of tubing higher than the carbs and opened the drain valves, didn't drain, just opened them.

Using a syringe I pumped about an ounce and a half of Yam Carb Cleaner up into each carb and closed the valves.

Rocked the bike a few times, pressed the kill switch to off and blipped the starter a couple of times and left it for an hour and a half.

Drained the bowls through the still attached tubes into a container, yanked off the tubing, closed the drain and fired her up. Problem solved, bike runs perfect again.

Total time actually working on it was maybe 12 or 15 minutes.

What the *bleeeep* do you guys have in your fuel anyways?!

My bike can sit for three months without anything done to it and I just punch the button and ride it... Done that every year for winter storage...

Yeah, it will cough and sputter until the gas sitting in the carbs have gone though, but that's it...

So far I haven't needed to clean my carbs more than once, and that was my own fault to boot...

Tweety 08-10-2010 01:16 PM

Well... All our gas have been 10% or more corn liquor for the last 15 years around here, so that's not it... It eats older hoses and membranes, but it doesn't change the shelf life noticably....

Yeah... I probably could make do as well if I got it at those prices... But then my bike would still never need cleaning, since I'd ride it around the clock...

mchawkmaster 08-10-2010 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 277308)
Took the VTR for a ride a few days ago after it was sitting for awhile. Had the idle to 3500 rpm hiccups.

Decided to try a new "trick".

Got a couple of 3 ft pieces of clear plastic tube. Snugged them up on the drain spout of each float bowl. Kind of a pita but using some long surgical foreceps got them on in a few minutes.

I hung the other ends of tubing higher than the carbs and opened the drain valves, didn't drain, just opened them.

Using a syringe I pumped about an ounce and a half of Yam Carb Cleaner up into each carb and closed the valves.

Rocked the bike a few times, pressed the kill switch to off and blipped the starter a couple of times and left it for an hour and a half.

Drained the bowls through the still attached tubes into a container, yanked off the tubing, closed the drain and fired her up. Problem solved, bike runs perfect again.

Total time actually working on it was maybe 12 or 15 minutes.

This sounds interesteing. Hopefully after the initial "cleaning" my hawk will be good to go for a while but just for kicks and wiggles would blipping the throttle with the carb full of cleaner foul the plugs out?

Originally Posted by motojoe (Post 277333)
Been throught there a time or two, or twenty.

Fun times right there... If you blinked you missed it :D. Ever stopped at any of the famous eatin places there?

Originally Posted by Tweety (Post 277352)
What the *bleeeep* do you guys have in your fuel anyways?!

My bike can sit for three months without anything done to it and I just punch the button and ride it... Done that every year for winter storage...

Yeah, it will cough and sputter until the gas sitting in the carbs have gone though, but that's it...

So far I haven't needed to clean my carbs more than once, and that was my own fault to boot...

My hawk is a 1998 and it has a little over 11000 miles on it which isn't much. Hopefully the problem is over the years goo has accumulated and partially blocked the slow jet (thanks other members for that help). Won't ever have this problem again FO SHO

Thanks for the help guys.

Oh yeah... About 3 hours ago i pulled the beast apart and filled er up with carb cleaner. will drain either tomorrow evening or thursday after a lotta good shakin.

Be on the lookout for the results of the carb cleaner trick. Also planning to do PAIR removal while all is apart. How loud is the popping supposed to be when the PAIR system is left intact because right now it sounds kinda trashy?

Randman 08-11-2010 07:41 AM

I think you had better start by reading this thread first.. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=10950

mchawkmaster 08-11-2010 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by RK1 (Post 277399)
No reason to mess with the throttle. You might blip the starter button a time or two with the kill switch/ignition circuit off to suck a bit up into the jets, a "blip" being a fraction of a second.

I saw that mistake as soon as I posted last night but didn't worry with trying to fix it. I'm going to do it this evening. Will this little bit that gets sucked into the jets drain back out or will I need to run the starter for a few revolutions to clear it out once I get everything back together?

8541Hawk 08-11-2010 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Randman (Post 277461)
I think you had better start by reading this thread first.. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=10950

and make sure you read the whole thing....... ;)

mchawkmaster 08-11-2010 01:28 PM

If I ever have 9 hours of boredom, I will. I did see your many falic symbols that are hilarious! Can't figure out the OGC one though. Maybe my mind isn't dirty enough.