SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Why inspecting your chain often is important (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/why-inspecting-your-chain-often-important-31302/)

insulinboy 10-23-2013 09:48 AM

Why inspecting your chain often is important

A completely avoidable accident

matt365 10-23-2013 09:54 AM

Man, that is a ton of slop in that chain...

ahernandez74 10-23-2013 10:21 AM

Damn he highsided and ate that pretty hard. I am not sure I would be able to walk it out after that. Damn that guys chain was really loose though... Bike wasn't even that old. Goes to show that you gotta look out for more than just other things on the road.

davidka 10-23-2013 01:12 PM

It's tough to tell how loose his chain was. It was clearly off the sprocket when he raised his hand though (then it jammed, locked the wheel and tossed him). Not sure how that would happen with the chain were even in the ballpark for adjustment.

insulinboy 10-23-2013 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by davidka (Post 364391)
It's tough to tell how loose his chain was. It was clearly off the sprocket when he raised his hand though (then it jammed, locked the wheel and tossed him). Not sure how that would happen with the chain were even in the ballpark for adjustment.

It can also happen if his rear sprocket had gone bad. I had a chain come off before because I wasn't inspecting my sprocket regularly and on heavy accel one day the chain just decided to rip 5 teeth off the sprocket and come off. I got lucky and didn't drop the bike or have any other damage. Taught me a lesson though that just watching the chain wasn't enough.

comedo 10-23-2013 03:50 PM

The chain came off the sprocket when the rear suspension extended. The rider signaled that something was wrong immediately after. You can see the brake light come on and stay on until the rider was thrown from the bike. I think that when the chain came off the rider misused the back brake, locked the wheel and crashed. The rear wheel rotated freely when the bike was pushed off the road.

Tofazfou 10-23-2013 06:22 PM

I was just on that canyon road this weekend and met the guy who films all us knee draggers. you should see some of his other videos on why some bikes crash. There is a SERIOUS lack of maintenance with many moto riders.

But anyways, yeah, i'm a stickler for checking my bike before every ride. Being stuck in the canyons/mountains while out for a weekend joyride SUUUUUUCKS! Especially when its your fault for lapse of maintenance/service. More importantly...I don't wanna wreck my bike.....

Pretty sure that is common though. Most people surely don't even check their cars often either. Its just get on and gooooooo!

Hell, many people up there don't even wear "PROPER" riding gear while attempting to drag knees. It cracks me up to see "CROCS" and shorts on a bike of any sort....:D

smokinjoe73 10-23-2013 07:39 PM

You guys realize that if you decide to watch crash vids, there are certain things you cant "un-see". (like terrorist beheadings or biker gang stuff) Your brain will keep that visual and it will crop up at the worst possible time. Like over a windy bridge in the pouring rain.

I never watch crap like that. But you should adjust your chain, of course. Just dont think you need to see a crash to reinforce every maintinence task.