SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/)
-   -   Wheel weight (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/technical-discussion-28/wheel-weight-10377/)

captainchaos 01-21-2007 05:43 AM

Wheel weight

Been lots of talk of rim swapping and wheel weight and hoping some of you all can "weigh in" on this. Just weighed the 900RR rear wheel on a new digital scale and it came in at 15.2 lbs. While I'm powdercoating and swapping tires I'll also weigh the 6 spoke RC51 front and stock superhawk rear and post them up as well. Sold the stock superhawk front wheel awhile ago so I didn't get to weigh that. Anyone else out there have a wheel sitting around and a decent scale? Curious to compare the weight of some different wheels we can use. A very quick search did net me this link some may find interesting. http://www.rc51.org/wheel.htm

KC-10ENG 01-21-2007 09:52 PM

Nice stuff! Thanks for the info

EngineNoO9 01-21-2007 10:02 PM

did I miss something... is the 900rr rear wheel compatible with ours?

nuhawk 01-21-2007 10:06 PM

Yes, I have one Captain, but it's still got the guts in it and a tire on it. I have to get it ready to go to the powder coaters so I will weigh it before I take it over. BTW are you weighing the wheels with the bearing packages, cush drives mounted on the rear - how about rotors and sprockets. I think the wheel has to be totally stripped to go the the painters so I may have the option of doing it either way depending on what convention you are using.

captainchaos 01-22-2007 03:50 AM

Good question...sorry. Yeah I measured with the bearings in but w/o cush, sprocket, and rotor. 15 lbs...not too bad when an RC rear is 19 and the expensive aftermarket wheels I'm trying to copy weigh roughly the same. And I haven't mounted it yet but all the info I've heard and read on here has said this wheel bolts up...

KC-10ENG 01-22-2007 05:08 AM

So what about the 5 spoke RC51 ones wheels off of the SP2s?? You would think that they would be a little lighter than the 6 spoke wheels off of the sp1
THe only thing is that you might have a hard time finding a rear rim that has only five spokes

KC-10ENG

superbling 01-22-2007 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9 (Post 39979)
did I miss something... is the 900rr rear wheel compatible with ours?

I guess you've never looked closely at my avatar? LOL. Yes, the 900rr wheel bolts right on, no mods. I weighed it and it was lighter than the CHROMED stock unit it replaced. Chroming wheels is just stupid.

The RC51 wheels are the larger 6 inch size and, IIRC, need modding.

EngineNoO9 01-22-2007 07:02 AM

so on a stock bike do the f3 and 900rr wheels have any weight savings? They're both 5 spoke I think too which will look good

superbling 01-22-2007 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9 (Post 39989)
so on a stock bike do the f3 and 900rr wheels have any weight savings? They're both 5 spoke I think too which will look good

F3 is a 5 inch rim so you don't really want that. You can mount 180's on some 5 inch rims but it's not advised as it distorts the contact patch and slows down the handling. The 929/954 rears are 6 inch like the RC51 and probably need at least spacer mods. Chain clearance/alignment would also need to be addressed since that width is really for a 190.

From a mathematical standpoint, the 3 spoke design should be the minimum number of spokes while still providing strength. But from a weight standpoint, it's all in the details and materials. Some of the lightest wheels in the world are multi-spoke.

I got to lift an Aprilia marchesini forged mag rear wheel this weekend. It had a brand new 180 corsa, brake disc, bearings, cush drive and sprocket. IOW, ready to be installed on the bike. Even with all that, it weighed less than a bare stock honda rim (I changed my own tires so I'm pretty familiar with the bare rim weight). Incredible.

EngineNoO9 01-22-2007 09:30 AM

I meant f3 front wheel 900rr rear

slo1 01-22-2007 12:16 PM

Just weighed a stock front, no rotors, bearings installed, and a crappy scale:( came out at 10.2 lbs.

6 spoke 5.5 rear (? no clue, came with a 929 front that I purchased), bearings, but no cush/sprocket cover or rotor, same crappy scale, 14.5.

dale

superbling 01-22-2007 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9 (Post 40002)
I meant f3 front wheel 900rr rear

Yup, F3 front will fit. VFR (94-97 for sure) uses same rotors as 'hawk. The VFR's front wheels from 90-93 and 98-present will bolt on but the rotor mounts are different so you will need those too (same diameter just different bolt pattern).

EngineNoO9 01-22-2007 01:08 PM

f3 and vtr rotors are the same... I know that cause I'm using them on my vtr wheel

shayne 01-22-2007 02:13 PM

I am looking into lighter wheels too, and read some stuff written by a suspension about unsprung weight, which is bad on a bike.

They claim that every kilogram of unsprung weight that you can remove from the bike is equivalent to removing 8.5kg from the rest of the bike.

Pretty large variance I reckon, and well worth getting lighter wheels and rotors, and hubs and sprockets.

Not cheap though, ouch!!!!!!!

captainchaos 01-22-2007 03:10 PM

Be cool if we could put a table together to make it easy for everyone once we figure out the different weights and what fits.

RPV-Hawk 01-22-2007 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by slo1 (Post 40021)
Just weighed a stock front, no rotors, bearings installed, and a crappy scale:( came out at 10.2 lbs.

That makes it .3 lbs lighter than the RC51 front!:-D Assuming it's accurate.:-)

superbling 01-22-2007 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by EngineNoO9 (Post 40030)
f3 and vtr rotors are the same... I know that cause I'm using them on my vtr wheel

I stand corrected (de-confused really) and edited my post to reflect it. I was confusing interchangeablitity data with my 02 VFR.

SNGPerformance 01-22-2007 07:33 PM

Yes Captain!! We need a sticky with Make, Model, Year, Weight, and what it takes to fit them up in the Knowledge Base.

trinity012 01-23-2007 12:17 AM

Wheel weight

Originally Posted by captainchaos (Post 39901)
Been lots of talk of rim swapping and wheel weight and hoping some of you all can "weigh in" on this. Just weighed the 900RR rear wheel on a new digital scale and it came in at 15.2 lbs. While I'm powdercoating and swapping tires I'll also weigh the 6 spoke RC51 front and stock superhawk rear and post them up as well. Sold the stock superhawk front wheel awhile ago so I didn't get to weigh that. Anyone else out there have a wheel sitting around and a decent scale? Curious to compare the weight of some different wheels we can use. A very quick search did net me this link some may find interesting. http://www.rc51.org/wheel.htm

Hi Capt. I just weight org SH wheels on baby digital scale today number came up w/9.2 front, 15.2 rear, 900rr rear (96) 15.9 (this rear wheel org white-privious owner paint black so the paint could go for a few more ounces), and 900rr w/rotor,cushdrive, hub weight 21 lbs. I dont know f3 front weight. Bcause I already put tire and rotors on it. According to SH project said VTR wheels weight lighter than pre honda CBR model, but I didn't seem like this info is true.:eek: :eek: :eek:

captainchaos 01-23-2007 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by trinity012 (Post 40096)
Hi Capt. I just weight org SH wheels on baby digital scale today number came up w/9.2 front, 15.2 rear, 900rr rear (96) 15.9 (this rear wheel org white-privious owner paint black so the paint could go for a few more ounces), and 900rr w/rotor,cushdrive, hub weight 21 lbs. I dont know f3 front weight. Bcause I already put tire and rotors on it. According to SH project said VTR wheels weight lighter than pre honda CBR model, but I didn't seem like this info is true.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Cool, thanks trinity. So basically the rear wheel sounds like a pretty even swap as far as the weight goes. Maybe if I drill a bunch of holes in it like my heelguards :)